Wiki Posts
Search

back to the drawing board-please help--

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
back to the drawing board-please help--

I tried out the air boss and then the sky train, desparate to find a way to not have to use a roller bag......I have to travel with a huge 17" computer and thought the wheels were adding too much bulk.......unfortunately both bags were way to big for me and unmanageable....
so the only thing I can think of is the biggest (but lightest) roller bag that I can carry on.
suggestions????
Im very disappointed because the red oxx stuff is gorgeous.....
Thank you all!!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

and also I have to carry a separate cpap.....so no one bag ninja for me
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Was the problem with the air boss/skytrain carrying the weight on the shoulder or the compartment design?

I've sometimes carried both a Tumi Briefcase and my MEI Executive Overnighter on a trip as a two bag/no roller solution with one on each shoulder. But I don't have the bulk of a CPAP and a 17 inch laptop to carry in that combo, so that might not work with your load.

Before that, I did the traditional solution of a 21-22 inch carryon and would put the briefcase over the suitcase handles, which might work better with the load you are talking about.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
How about a Red Oxx XS Aviator for your CPAP and computer and a Briggs and Riley roller that meets carry-on dimensions? I'll not pretend that B&R make the lightest products but given the propensity for rollers to get gate checked on regional jets, I'd rather pay a weight penalty of a couple of pounds in exchange for the security of a well-made product. In addition, I think B&R's bag attaching system is fantastic, allowing you to roll both bags as one.

The XS Aviator is as sturdy as the rest of the Red Oxx line but without the bells and whistles. The product description on the website promotes its use as a CPAP bag. If you use the XS to carry your laptop, you'll need a protective sleeve as the XS has no padding. The XS's size is an advantage in that it will qualify as a personal item but is also a potential disadvantage since it might not be big enough for a CPAP and your computer. I use the XS as my main cabin bag for trips of four days or less where I'm not carrying golf clubs. If it's a golf trip, I use a protective travel cover with wheels, hook that to my B&R, and also attach a small REI laptop bag. High curbs, cobblestone streets, and steps are an issue with that configuration, but not an insuperable obstacle.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lostinohio
Was the problem with the air boss/skytrain carrying the weight on the shoulder or the compartment design?

I've sometimes carried both a Tumi Briefcase and my MEI Executive Overnighter on a trip as a two bag/no roller solution with one on each shoulder. But I don't have the bulk of a CPAP and a 17 inch laptop to carry in that combo, so that might not work with your load.

Before that, I did the traditional solution of a 21-22 inch carryon and would put the briefcase over the suitcase handles, which might work better with the load you are talking about.
carrying the weight was the issue...I currently use a samsonite spinner which I really like but I am struggling to lift it to put it overhead....As much as I hate to admit it, I need a roller because I can put the cpap on top of that. I need a roller bag that is not as heavy as the one I have that can be put up overhead. thanks!!!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nlkm9
carrying the weight was the issue...I currently use a samsonite spinner which I really like but I am struggling to lift it to put it overhead....As much as I hate to admit it, I need a roller because I can put the cpap on top of that. I need a roller bag that is not as heavy as the one I have that can be put up overhead. thanks!!!
Given your problem lifting, that rules out the B&R line. IT Luggage makes extremely light rollers which might work so longer as you don't need to check your bag or put too much strain on the handle system. I wanted to use the IT for my current trip but found it was unable to take the weight of the golf bag I mentioned in my post above.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you will look into it--I saw a samsonite and a Delseyvat kohls today that are possibilities -
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

anyone have any experience with the delsey air spree easy roll??? Or the travel pro 22 inch--it looks nice and light
Thanks!

Last edited by nlkm9; Jul 26, 2014 at 3:09 pm Reason: extra info
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
My current carryon roller is a several year old Delsey my wife got me. I believe it is a discontinued model, but it is similar to the currently offered helium carryon. The red fabric shows grime pretty easily, but it has seemed pretty sturdy. The larger check only delsey we have has not held up as well - delsey name plate popped off and the zipper pulls snapped in half.

You might want to look at High Sierra. We have a check only roller from them that has held up better than the comparable size delsey and is considerably lighter.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:22 pm

You might want to talk to your doctor about the CPAP. I have fairly bad sleep apnea but my doc cleared me to be able to go without mine for up to 2 nights in a row. He doesn't like it but said I could get by without it. This means I can travel with less weight and bulk 3 out of 4 trips. I do wake up with a sore throat but that goes away after some coffee. The convenience far outweighs any discomfort. When I do take a CPAP I don't take my normal one but instead a travel sized one. It is the equivalent size and weight (including hose, mask and power cord) of a pair of shoes.

Also, is everything else you are packing minimal and light? When you put your mind to it you can always travel lighter. Do you really need to take that 17" laptop on a given trip? I had to take mine on my last trip but only after careful logistic review that I had no choice. Many times I can get by with my iPhone and thumb drives.

You may well have considered all these things. But thinking how we can trim weight and space should always be done.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1holegrouper
You might want to talk to your doctor about the CPAP. I have fairly bad sleep apnea but my doc cleared me to be able to go without mine for up to 2 nights in a row. He doesn't like it but said I could get by without it. This means I can travel with less weight and bulk 3 out of 4 trips. I do wake up with a sore throat but that goes away after some coffee. The convenience far outweighs any discomfort. When I do take a CPAP I don't take my normal one but instead a travel sized one. It is the equivalent size and weight (including hose, mask and power cord) of a pair of shoes.

Also, is everything else you are packing minimal and light? When you put your mind to it you can always travel lighter. Do you really need to take that 17" laptop on a given trip? I had to take mine on my last trip but only after careful logistic review that I had no choice. Many times I can get by with my iPhone and thumb drives.

You may well have considered all these things. But thinking how we can trim weight and space should always be done.

I do truly need the cpap, and Im happy to travel with it. Funny what you said, I have cut down so much on what I bring with me, but the 17" laptop transforms into my #1 training tool so I have no choice but to bring it. Thus, my search for a lighterweight carry on that rolls
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Ebags makes a pretty light weight hard sided spinner but I'm not sure on the size. I'm not too familiar with eagle creek carry on but they may be worth a look.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
You might take a look at the a saks line. There is one that is carry on length. It weighs about 5 lbs to start, has two wheels. One issue if over packed it can be a tough fit in the overhead. I get mine from the E Bags site

Used it and larger one that I checked very successfully on safari in so africa.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nlkm9
I do truly need the cpap, and Im happy to travel with it. Funny what you said, I have cut down so much on what I bring with me, but the 17" laptop transforms into my #1 training tool so I have no choice but to bring it. Thus, my search for a lighterweight carry on that rolls
Not to be obtuse, but have you considered an ultra-portable projector?

I travel every day with a laptop, and at 6'4" even I gave up the 15" Macbook Pro and changed my "road machine" into an 11" Macbook Air. It's so light I don't even feel if it's there in my briefcase - and if I need a larger display for training purposes, I can have it hooked into a projector in seconds.

They make true ultra-portable projectors - battery powered and no larger than a few decks of cards. And with the considerable size-weight savings you could go much larger than a mere 17" monitor, for 1/5 the weight and space.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Not to be obtuse, but have you considered an ultra-portable projector?

I travel every day with a laptop, and at 6'4" even I gave up the 15" Macbook Pro and changed my "road machine" into an 11" Macbook Air. It's so light I don't even feel if it's there in my briefcase - and if I need a larger display for training purposes, I can have it hooked into a projector in seconds.

They make true ultra-portable projectors - battery powered and no larger than a few decks of cards. And with the considerable size-weight savings you could go much larger than a mere 17" monitor, for 1/5 the weight and space.
one of my job requirements is bringing this specific laptop--otherwise I would happily just bring my ipad but thanks for the suggestion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.