Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a carry on please

Old Jul 8, 14, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP

Next month I'll be doing my first TP run and would like to travel fairly lightly. I will be taking a medium sized backpack/camera bag 30x50x20cm. Having seen many people using a wheeled bag and rucksack I wonder if I could do the same? Travelling on BAW 1 and 2 plus US in First.
If you think this is do-able could you give me any useful ideas on which carry on bag to buy? My old wheeled case has just departed for the baggage belt in the sky so to speak.
Thanks
AQ
Old Jul 8, 14, 9:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I swear by my Skypak travel bag, plus an externally supplied shoulder strap for comfort, there strap is a bit too thin. (53 cm is the maximum dimension, there is a larger size you don't want).

This fits all airline limitations that I travel with, with the partial exception of Wizz. Furthermore if you don't fill up the bag totally, being squidgy it still fits into Wizz's gauges.

It's also Tardis like in terms of capacity, I can manage 2 computers, endless wires, suits and rugby kit for 3 weeks in it. The bag fits BA's overheads (except mid cabin Embraers) and under seat space very well indieed. 16 on Amazon. My bag has done about 1.5 million miles and is only now needing replacement.

Old Jul 8, 14, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

and rugby kit for 3 weeks
I shudder to think what it smells like on the journey home.
Old Jul 8, 14, 10:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread has been moved from the BAEC forum as a carry on bag is more of a general topic than BAEC specific.

Thank you for your cooperation.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jul 8, 14, 11:09 am

Dear AQ,

You will be delighted to know that nearly every airline now had TP in their lavatories. Also, most destination airports will be stocked with TP as well.

lol, could not resist.

There are several great bags out there. Of brands there is no end. My favorite is Redoxx but if they disappeared I would not have a lack of other good choices out there. (ex; Briggs and Riley, Tumi, Tom Bihn, MEC, Rimowa, etc...) that Skypac above looks interesting but I'm not experienced using one. I am with all brands above. If you are mainly on long flights and thus large jets then you can afford to go with a maximum legal carry on and know that you will most likely be fine. The next question is wheels or no wheels. That depends upon where you are going and what types of surfaces and modes of travel you will be taking outside of the airport. Also, if you want to maximize luggage capacity and minimize weight then no wheels is the best option. I'm a one bag, no wheels, light as possible type of guy. My wife, on the other hand has to have her wheels. So, when I travel with her I end up picking up her Tumi when jumping curbs, taking stairs and hopping on trains while my light efficiently packed bag is on my back. I guess that is at least better than if we both had roller bags.
Old Jul 10, 14, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Thanks all, will have to go shopping at the weekend
AQ
Old Jul 11, 14, 4:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My brand of choice for all travel gear is Red Oxx. Thankfully, they look to be nothing but healthy and should stick around for a long time.

If they weren't around, I'd probably do Rimowa and Tom Bihn
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:55 pm

Carry on bag:

Hey always,

What's your budget for a carry on bag? There are a lot of great choices out there. I saw some people mentioned Tom Bihn bags. I have a Tom Bihn Tri-Star and the packing cubes as well. Tom Bihn bags are made in the USA with excellent materials made in the US as well. Some of the fabric is imported though, the vast majority is sourced domestically. The bags are extremely well made and are built to last a life time so they aren't cheap. Sure you could buy a cheaper bag but will it last, probably not. http://www.tombihn.com

I've checked out Red Oxx before I bought my Tom Bihn bag but they looked so ridiculous and ugly compared to Tom Bihn bags the choice was easy. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by alwaysquestions View Post
Next month I'll be doing my first TP run and would like to travel fairly lightly. I will be taking a medium sized backpack/camera bag 30x50x20cm. Having seen many people using a wheeled bag and rucksack I wonder if I could do the same? Travelling on BAW 1 and 2 plus US in First.
If you think this is do-able could you give me any useful ideas on which carry on bag to buy? My old wheeled case has just departed for the baggage belt in the sky so to speak.
Thanks
AQ
Old Jul 17, 14, 3:54 am

Check the Muji carryon. size M is about what your looking for.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: