Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever had any luck with carryons with Travel Sentry Approved label?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE

About 6 months ago I got a Pacsafe Scansafe laptop bag. It's been a great asset, and I've been able to use it for work, school, and travel. When I got it, I noticed the laptop compartment had a label that said "Travel Sentry Approved", the red diamond, and then a description of what the approval label is supposed to mean, including not needing to actually remove the laptop (the laptop compartment unzips completely and opens up to lie flat) as long as it's the only thing in that pocket. I don't always have to worry about taking it out because of PreCheck, but there have been times where I've flown through airports without PC, or it was too early/late for PC to be open here in SLC and I got the "PreCheck lite" as some people call it (take off shoes and take out laptops).

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has seen or used carryon luggage with the Travel Sentry label successfully? The times I've tried to just unzip the bag, the TSA workers always bark at me that I have to remove the laptop and place it in a bin. Here's a picture of the bag (I don't have it with me, but this is from the manufacturer). It's not a huge deal to me because I have PreCheck, more of a minor annoyance if anything. But why get the travel sentry approval and advertise it as a useable benefit, if it doesn't actually work?

Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I think the TSA has finally caught on to Checkpoint Friendly bags... at first there was a lack of education for the screeners which caused a lot of confusion. Now I think it's pretty widely known how it works and those with compatible bags shouldn't have much trouble. I'm sure "Travel Sentry Approved" was a way to try and make it easier for TSA screeners to identify Checkpoint Friently bags, but I doubt it's really needed these days as these types of bags are well known and understood to be able to pass without removing the laptop.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I think the TSA has finally caught on to Checkpoint Friendly bags... at first there was a lack of education for the screeners which caused a lot of confusion. Now I think it's pretty widely known how it works and those with compatible bags shouldn't have much trouble. I'm sure "Travel Sentry Approved" was a way to try and make it easier for TSA screeners to identify Checkpoint Friently bags, but I doubt it's really needed these days as these types of bags are well known and understood to be able to pass without removing the laptop.
I've tried making it as obvious as possible, including unzipping the bag and carrying it to the scanner belt like a big open book, with both the label and the laptop very conspicuously in sight. The last time I tried was back in January and completely gave up after that, but I have a flight coming up soon that departs early and I don't think the PC line will be open, so I was just wondering if I should try it again or not. Maybe I've just had bad luck.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: QF Silver
I have the same Pacsafe laptop case which I use for short trips. I no longer even try to use the checkpoint friendly feature since the time I put it un-clamshelled on the x-ray belt only to have the strap catch on something inside causing my bag to eject itself to the floor by the feet of the x-ray operator. Fortunately it was my Panasonic Toughbook & there was no damage but things might have been quite different if it was the Macbook Air. I attribute this to the bag being pretty floppy when open and the anti-cut cables in the shoulder strap which make it springy more like a fishtape.

I also appreciate using the previously unusable space in the zipper TravelSentry compartment for holding last-minute airport snacks & stuff. Don't get me wrong, it's a great case & I love the security features when in a hotel room, there just isn't that much savings reward compared to putting the laptop in a tray.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

I use a clam shell style backpack every week. Never had any issues. Unzip, open putting the laptop side of the "book" to enter the X-ray machine first, and go.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Checkpoint friendly bags have been around for years. I have used that feature on my bag in multiple airports (those without PreCheck or when PreCheck line is closed) and never had an issue. Try mentioning that it's a checkpoint friendly bag if you get any pushback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.