FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Suggestion for 29-30" Light Weight Spinner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1585613-suggestion-29-30-light-weight-spinner.html)

Nancy Colson Jun 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Suggestion for 29-30" Light Weight Spinner

I can use some suggestions.

I'm going to be spending the better part of July in Germany and Austria. I don't pack light- don't judge me :)

I went online the other day to purchase a new suitcase. There were a couple that I liked but all were over 62 linear inches by anywhere from an inch to three. I never realized this was going to be an issue until the very helpful woman that I spoke with on Ebags pointed it out.

I am flying BusinessElite on Delta and won't be anywhere near my baggage allotment. However, for me, it is easier to move around one larger bag than a bunch of smaller ones (Delta's suggestion).

I'd like a lightweight, softsided spinner as large as I can get it without exceeding 62 linear inches. I've been looking at IT, the American Tourister iLite, Samsonite and TravelPro. Budget is under 200.00. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mbece Jun 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Check LL Bean.

OverThereTooMuch Jun 16, 2014 12:15 am

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 23039772)
Check LL Bean.

Cheapest spinner there is $250 (so doesn't meet OP's requirements). Cheapest spinner there that meets the OP's size requirement appears to be $300.

alphaod Jun 16, 2014 12:21 am

I bought a 29" Samsonite spinner on Amazon for like $100. It's not exactly the most lightweight, but it was cheap. It was good quality nonetheless.

zipo Jun 16, 2014 12:22 am

Check bonton. They always have deals on this stuff

oshelef Jun 16, 2014 12:35 am

For maximum volume with-in 62" linear inches, look for deeper and wider, rather than taller. That said, for summer weather, and packed full, I think a 62" linear inch bag might get close to the 70lb limit. (which is much likely to be enforced than the measuring tape pulled out.)
The easiest way is to plan to use the expandable option of say a 28" bag, though this may cost some balance if you back heavy items in the expanded section. Find one marketed as 57-59 inches. The marketing almost never includes the wheels and handles (which an unfriendly airline employee may), and you'll add 1.5 -2 inches when you use the expansion. I saw plenty of these on ebags. Plus, a bag like this might actually be useful if you fly coach and are subject to a 50lb limit - at least when you pack less dense winter items.

Also, is spinner a requirement? There are some appealing 2 wheeled bags in your size and price range - and you tend to get slightly more volume for your linear inches with 2 rather than 4 wheels since the wheels protrude less.

BarbiJKM Jun 16, 2014 12:58 pm

I have the IT ("World's Lightest) 29" spinner and love it! It has held up extremely well on several international trips.

Nancy Colson Jun 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Thank you all. I ended up ordering the Travelpro Maxlite 3 29" Expandable Spinner. It's 61.5 linear inches. I was told that includes the wheels. I can only home. Frankly, I have always used at least a 29" and I've never had a problem.
I'm sure it'll be fine.

I haven't seen the bags (I also got the rolling tote). They should be here tomorrow.

Dianne47 Jun 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Nancy, welcome to FlyerTalk. I think you'll like the Maxlite. I bought three pieces of the previous model Maxlite 2 last year (25-inch, 20-inch, rolling tote). I've been very pleased with each. The 20-inch bag always surprises me with its capacity. Please report back here on your impressions. Have a great trip.

07three Jun 21, 2014 2:49 am

Nancy,

take a look at the Delsey U-Lite.

http://www.kjamson.com/index.php/lug...spinner-detail

I own two of these and these are the lightest spinners I've come across.

slawecki Jun 22, 2014 10:36 am

i have a 2 wheel roller bag. it is 66". i have had it for over 10 years. i have checked it 10-20 times a year. it was over the 50 lb limit twice. no one has ever checked dimensions on it. i have also, never seen a ticket person check dimensions on a bag. on a large TV a couple times.

come on class, have you ever seen anyone checking dimensions on checked luggage, at least on major us airlines?.

marshalls has tons of "off brand" luggage at excellent prices. my carryon is labeled AA. it is from an AA promo from 15 years ago. was made by a major brand mfgr, but carries the AA logo.

Nancy Colson Jun 22, 2014 3:47 pm

It is true. I have been travelling for years with roughly the same size suitcase and it has never been an issue. I was aware of weight allowances but never had a clue about the 62 linear inch rule. My new bag is huge but I'm not taking the tape measure out!

The bags arrived on Friday. They were as expected-- spacious, light and easy to move. The smaller one will be perfect for the overnight trips I'll be taking during my stay.

Dianne47 Jul 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Nancy, how was your trip and the performance of your Maxlite 3?

alphaod Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 23076868)
come on class, have you ever seen anyone checking dimensions on checked luggage, at least on major us airlines?.

My suitcases have only been weighed, never measured.

However in terms of checked luggage, my ski bags get measured almost all the time.

ffI Jul 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47 (Post 23070115)
Nancy, welcome to FlyerTalk. I think you'll like the Maxlite. I bought three pieces of the previous model Maxlite 2 last year (25-inch, 20-inch, rolling tote). I've been very pleased with each. The 20-inch bag always surprises me with its capacity. Please report back here on your impressions. Have a great trip.

I wrote a whole new thread on this and then your post was in an older thread that got bumped up!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-carryon.html
If you have any idea if the 22 inch is legal carryon ?
Looking at current dimensions I am not sure, but generally they seem to allow it in F class anyway.

PS
Sorry I got confused I wanted MegaLite from it; you are talking about travelpro
and the post ahead was about itluggage and confused me.