Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

New form of travel insurance might ease the pain

Old May 28, 14, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1 MM; AA, HH Gold, Jerry; MR Plat

Here's a link to article in today's WSJ about unique new travel insurance from Berkshire Hathaway that should be of interest to fellow international pax:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/betti...E_Video_second

Last edited by artvandalay; May 28, 14 at 10:07 pm
Old May 28, 14, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This appears to only work for those who subscribe.
Old May 28, 14, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The product is https://www.bhtp.com/travel-protection/aircare . It got a shout-out from channa last week at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22910669-post507.html . Pay $25, earn $500 if you misconnect.

My experience has been about 1% of my flights suffer sever irrops, so probably not worth it at that price.
Old May 28, 14, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1 MM; AA, HH Gold, Jerry; MR Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
This appears to only work for those who subscribe.
My apologies. Berkshire Hathaway has a new travel insurance that reimburses for missed connections and delayed baggage for a $25 flat fee. It was announced in today's WSJ. (Full disclosure: I don't work for Warren Buffett, but I would have benefitted from this insurance in the last 12 months on UA.) Worth exploring, especially for international travelers.

From the article: "For a domestic trip, the insurance costs a flat fee of $25. You can buy it up to an hour before departure, although sales are shut off if weather warnings are issued. If your flight is two hours late, it pays out $50 regardless of the reason (as long as you're not the reason for the delay or war hasn't broken out). The insurance company tracks flights and the money is sent right to your bank account without your having to file a claim. If the airline delays your checked baggage for 12 hours or more, you collect $500. Miss a connection? Collect $500. Two-hour tarmac delay? The AirCare insurance pays out $1,000.

And if you suffer a two-hour tarmac delay and then miss your connecting flight, you collect on both and pocket $1,500."
Old May 28, 14, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
$500 for a missed connection is a big mistake on their part, if I have some extra hours to kill SDCing 3 or 4 UX legs together to make it from A-B-C-D instead of straight A-B is almost a guaranteed payout.

So far this year I would have massively benefited, I've misconnected 4 times due to delays while trying to avoid problems (not purposefully booking short connections through EWR) and had my baggage arrive over 12 hours late 3 times.

Last edited by DErg; May 28, 14 at 10:20 pm Reason: add
Old May 28, 14, 10:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
My experience has been about 1% of my flights suffer sever irrops, so probably not worth it at that price.
Insurance never works for those who experience the event often - it is always better to insure yourself. (Otherwise, how would the insurer make the money?) The effect is called Law of Large Numbers.

Insurance works for those who might or might not experience the event; i.e., those who do not fly often and want to protect themselves against the risks. It is probably safe to say that the majority of the people on this forum do not fit this category.
Old May 28, 14, 10:52 pm

I listened to The Middle Seat podcast today, and then I visited the BHTP web site. The site's FAQ section is actually hilarious.

The problem is weather. I was thinking that I have a trip in August with UAX segments in and out of O'Hare to Savannah. That's asking for trouble. But I feel like the most likely source of trouble is thunderstorms. And my connections are relatively long.

The other problem is that the big payout is for tarmac delays, not just delays. In most situations, I'm stuck at the gate or the United Club, not on the plane.

So I'll weigh my options. The $25 price tag is impressively affordable. But I feel like it's a bit like buying a lottery ticket. United has been really good to me about IRROPS unless the weather is getting in the way.

I'm curious to know what others think.
Old May 28, 14, 11:36 pm
Suspended

100% of my mileage runs this year have had a misconnect. i'd be sitting pretty. darn
Old May 28, 14, 11:50 pm
jmw

Boo... not in my state:

this product is currently not available in the following states: AK, CA, FL, IL, KS, MD, MA, MN, NH, OH, OR, VA, WA.
Old May 29, 14, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by imgonnafly View Post
100% of my mileage runs this year have had a misconnect. i'd be sitting pretty. darn
Looking forward to the new forum -- Misconnect Runs.
Old May 29, 14, 2:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Please follow this in TravelBuzz.

l'etoile
UA moderator

[Note from Ocn Vw 1K - as travel insurance is increasingly discussed in the Travel Products forum, we'll do one last move of the thread to that forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 29, 14 at 8:49 am Reason: To explain thread move.
Old May 29, 14, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
Boo... not in my state:

this product is currently not available in the following states: AK, CA, FL, IL, KS, MD, MA, MN, NH, OH, OR, VA, WA.
Noooooo, I missed the state restrictions. My primary residence is in WA and secondary is VA so I'm out of luck.

Originally Posted by #10 View Post
Looking forward to the new forum -- Misconnect Runs.
I had already started thinking about SDCing onto multiple RJ connections through the NE when I could be a day late. Almost guaranteed payout on UA.
Old May 29, 14, 12:01 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
No love for Canadians!
Old May 29, 14, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Volga981 View Post
Insurance never works for those who experience the event often - it is always better to insure yourself. (Otherwise, how would the insurer make the money?) The effect is called Law of Large Numbers.

Insurance works for those who might or might not experience the event; i.e., those who do not fly often and want to protect themselves against the risks. It is probably safe to say that the majority of the people on this forum do not fit this category.
Unless you're in a situation where you're not charged an honest premium for the risk because you are lumped with those who are at lower risk.

For example, connect through San Francisco in the morning...
Old May 29, 14, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Would this be $25 for the entire round trip reservation? Also, I have a 38 minute connection coming up, I wonder if this is considered a valid amount of time? Can't believe I have such a short layover, will definitely buy this asap if they let me!

Edit; they have a nice live chat feature on their site,

Http://www.bhtp.com/a/aircare/select

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; May 29, 14 at 5:29 pm

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: