Search

Just got a a MEI Executive Overnighter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Thanks for so much great info

And detailed photos.

Due to an injury I've had to but a bag with wheels. eBags Vertical Mobile Office (now with a huge markdown on eBags).

If I don't get too spoiled with wheels, I'll go back to wheel-free travel as soon as possible.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:54 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by lostinohio
My first trip with this bag I used it as a shoulder bag.

The shoulder strap has a nicely padded strap. It is a conventional pad instead of the stretchy material used in the Tom Bihn absolute strap. I've not tested it yet with a heavy load to see how it compares when the bag is fully loaded for comfort with the absolute strap I use on my briefcase.

Here is a shot showing the pad:

Here is a shot trying to show the thickness on the pad:

The most worrisome feature on both the shoulder straps (and the entire bag) to me is the clip to connect the shoulder strap to the bag does not appear as sturdy as the rest of the bag. It doesn't have any locking feature and only has a small metal pin keeping it closed. While I had no problems on my first trip and it has some spring strength to keep it closed, I worry if the bag is jostled while heavily loaded or if the shoulder strap closure takes a hard hit or two it may fail. Here is a picture of the closure:

I dont know about the MEI executive overnighter but this clip is cheaper and fails all the time on the eBags Motherload bag.

How does the Motherload bag compare? This is what I know many to use.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
I've not seen a Mother Lode Convertible in person, but just looking at the pictures on bags website the organizational system is pretty different in terms of how the pockets are laid out. Executive Overnighter has a very Airboss style three compartment system where the E-bags looks more like a divided up traditional suitcase. The Mother Lode also looks like it may not have the ability to shrink down in size like the MEI does.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by lostinohio
1. My MEI Overnighter is standard sized. I got out the tape measure tonight and measured it empty and it was 21.5 by 14 by 10, but that was with both the exterior full width and the two slit pockets absolutely flat and I was measuring at the edge for the width rather than where the backstrap folded. With the flexibility in the bag it will balloon out if you're not careful how you pack it.

I've only traveled to Europe once and never to Asia, so I can't really speak to foreign sizers or the weight restrictions. There's always been some extra room around the edges when I bundle packed into the bag so I would think you could shed a little bit from each dimension. If you wanted to make a radically easier to carry version, you could drop the third 2 inch compartment and keep the others the same width.

2. The three large clothing compartments are 5, 3 and 2 inches. Because the foam is on the outside wall of the 5 and the 3 inch, there is some give in between those compartments. I've only packed shoes in the 5 inch compartment, but men with narrower feet or most women could probably put shoes in the 3 inch inch. I don't own any shirt folders, but I have packed a bundle with a suit, two dress shirts, casual shirt and some other stuff in the 3 inch pocket without a problem.

3. If I had the choice when ordering, I would have gone with the long slit and a small slit that fit between the compression straps. There are about 6 inches between the compression straps which would give plenty of room for a 3/2/1 bag or other small items you wanted to access while the bag is closed and cinched with the compression straps.

4. Besides the redo on the slit pockets mentioned in 3 and what I have said in the earlier comments in the thread, I wouldn't mind having the little rain flaps to cover all the zippers to add some protection in the rain and against zippers getting snagged.

If I were trying to one bag it instead of most of the time using a separate brief case, and were truly customizing it, I would think about the following:
A. A pocket on the outside of the bag that would fit a water bottle
B. A holder for a mini umbrella that could be accessed without exposing the rest of the contents of the bag to rain (the one on TUMI briefcases is wonderful)
C. A compartment designed to hold a laptop sleeve that could be accessed without having to undo the external compression straps. One way to do this would be to install a pocket on one of the two existing padded walls that was positioned to be accessed from the sides. If you didn't want it in the main clothing pockets, it might be possible to build one in to the wall of the backpack strap storage pocket or to alter the full width slit pocket to also open on the side so that you can get to it without having to undo the compression straps. Because of the wide range of laptop sizes out there, I'm not sure there is an easy way for them to do this that doesn't pose needless weight and packing complications for those who aren't routinely carrying a laptop in the bag.

I don't have a need for it, but I suppose a user that wanted more flexibility in packing might want the ability to remove the divider between the five inch and three inch compartments by installing it with a zipper.

Feel free to fire off anymore questions.
Thank you very much for all the insights and sorry for not getting back to this sooner. I have ordered my MEI Executive Overnighter and already used it for a couple of intercontinental trips. I will soon be writing a review with images. My experience with MEI was again very positive, I have always interacted with Salim, and in the last 2 years I have bought for either myself or friends 4 bags including this last one, the other three are the Voyageur, which me and my wife use for leisure trips.
I guess I am one of the few people having both the EO and Voyageur, and I think I owe the travel community and MEI a review.
I think the company really makes good products, with good quality materials. Unfortunately they are sub-par with regards to online presence, marketing and ease of assessing and understanding the features of their products.

Thank you, and I am looking forward to write the review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.