Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

non wrinkle clothes

non wrinkle clothes

Old May 15, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

non wrinkle clothes

Has anyone come across true non wrinkle trouses or dress shirts?

I've got trouses labeed as NW but theyre really 'low maintenance': I can sail through five days of work with them, but they definitely need ironing after laundry

Im looking for something which is wash-dry-wear, no ironing at all

TIA
Yummycook likes this.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:47 am

I find if you take NW clothing out of the dryer while it is still barely damp, snap to get any last wrinkles out and then hang you don't need to iron. Just my experience.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:06 am

The Lands End no iron shirts are about as close as I've found. The sleeve creases hold for at least a couple dozen washes and they look presentable out of the dryer.

Sorry no luck on the pants either.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've found the Nordstrom Smartcare, http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstro...y_page.MEN1-RR, and Brooks Brothers shirts, http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/d...efault,sc.html, to be very good. Nordstrom probably requires a little bit more ironing than BB but are generally less expensive ($50 compared with $92 for BB--outside of sales with BB currently running a 3-for-$225 sale but the Nordstrom shirts at about $30 on sale). Both are very wrinkle resistant with a crease along the sleeves that remains after many washings. Both of these are all-cotton shirts.

I've found Croft & Barrow (one of Kohl's house brands) pants pretty reliable for packing, washing, and wearing without additional ironing: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-524...-pants-men.jsp. These are microfiber pants. I've had no experience with these pants, http://shop.bluffworks.com/products/...ree-pants-grey, which were recently mentioned in the one-bag thread, but there are positive comments there. Again, microfiber and more than double the cost of the Croft & Barrow (when on sale, which at Kohl's they are more often than not).
Old May 15, 2014, 11:21 am

Charles Tyrwhitt non iron shirts. Just about the best in value and very good looks. Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts are great too but just a bit conservative on styling. BB's advantage chinos are also good performer but obviously they are cotton. A good wool pants shouldn't wrikle so much even when you travel.

I say this based on the following trial and errors for shirts:

Land's end - shirt tail too short, collar points roll (glue construction in China?), non wrinkle performance starts go south after about 10 washings
LL Bean - need higher thread count fabric. shirt collar rolls also. shirts are too short - problem when sitting around on airplane seats for 5 hours - shirt tail starts to come out.
Jos A. Bank - hit and miss. I have some that looks good after more than 75 washes. some shirts look bad just after 10 washes. YMMV.
Brooks Brothers luxury line - the best in terms of performance. however, they don't make non-iron for all the "luxury" styles. cost is a bit high.
Paul Frederick - reminds me of shirts from the original Wall Street movie. nuff said.
Banana Republic - considered douche bag style by many - I found a few OK items but hit and miss.
J. Crew - they like wrinkles on shirts (what the heck is a "secret wash?") and pants that don't cover up your bottom.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mellonc
Charles Tyrwhitt non iron shirts. Just about the best in value and very good looks. Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts are great too but just a bit conservative on styling.
+1 on the Charles Tyrwhitt non iron shirts. Used to be a fan of Brooks Brothers version but CT are far better quality and packing wrinkles fall out quickly.

Keeping an eye out for Buff Works trousers - seen them mentioned on here on a different thread. I do lots of car/train travel and after several hours sat down my trousers look awful!
Old May 15, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dalylink
I find if you take NW clothing out of the dryer while it is still barely damp, snap to get any last wrinkles out and then hang you don't need to iron. Just my experience.
+1 on this comment. Good practice to not "overdry" your clothes, anyway. Bad for the fabric for it to be completely dry spinning around in a hot cylinder.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It sounds like you guys have many more choices than us women, however I like the Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts.

Also, although not marketed as "non-iron", I have found that my Thomas Pink shirts really don't need much more than a steam while I take a shower for everything to fall out. They make a non-iron men's line, so I would imagine those may be even better. Pretty spendy but I try to pick some up whenever I see a good deal.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:10 am

I have to agree with the Charles Tyrwhitt recommendation. They are expensive at list price but they usually have some kind of special going.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I've found Croft & Barrow (one of Kohl's house brands) pants pretty reliable for packing, washing, and wearing without additional ironing: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-524...-pants-men.jsp. These are microfiber pants.
I'll look at these as they look promising. I have bought Haggar golf pants at Kohls to use while travelling http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-184...-pants-men.jsp. They are cool and lightweight and do resist wrinkling well.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Originally Posted by Rusearch
I'll look at these as they look promising. I have bought Haggar golf pants at Kohls to use while travelling http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-184...-pants-men.jsp. They are cool and lightweight and do resist wrinkling well.
I vote for Brooks Brothers shirts. they're not cheap, but 2-3 times per year they have a "real" sale (don't be fooled by their monthly sales)

They will be about $60 each on sale, normally $90, but worth it.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:11 pm

As someone that has ironed and washed a lot of shirts in hotels, my favourite ones are Brooks Brothers. They are by far the shirts I don't need to do much to after drying to look perfect. I do agree with the tip that you don't want them to be fully dry when you take them out of the dryer. But, if they do happen to be dry, just spray with a little water or an ironing spray and smooth the wrinkles out.

Using tissue paper when folding pants works wonders for keeping the wrinkles away. Frankly, using it for most garments when packing helps a lot.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hoteliergal
As someone that has ironed and washed a lot of shirts in hotels, my favourite ones are Brooks Brothers. They are by far the shirts I don't need to do much to after drying to look perfect. I do agree with the tip that you don't want them to be fully dry when you take them out of the dryer. But, if they do happen to be dry, just spray with a little water or an ironing spray and smooth the wrinkles out.

Using tissue paper when folding pants works wonders for keeping the wrinkles away. Frankly, using it for most garments when packing helps a lot.
On your last point, many people advocate folding clothes in dry cleaning bags to mitigate wrinkling. I haven't tried it, but many swear by it.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
On your last point, many people advocate folding clothes in dry cleaning bags to mitigate wrinkling. I haven't tried it, but many swear by it.
I do it. I liked it so much that I bought a whole roll from Amazon. I don't even fold anything. I just stick my suit and shirts in there individually and just go.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
I've had good luck with Travelsmith

They have a lot of handy gadgets and clothing for men and women. When there are wrinkles (as in after a long international flight) I hang them on the shower rod, close the drain plug, and fill the tub with hot water. Usually after hanging there for a bit, I'm all set to go.

I also love love love Chico's Travelers line. They don't have men's clothing, but for certain travel needs, they are wonderful, easy care, easy to pack, and easy to pair with anything dressy or casual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.