Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Rimowa Topaz — carry-on size concerns

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Buying Rimowa Topaz — carry-on size concerns

I am about to purchase a set of Rimowa topaz titanium. The carry on size is perfect for the new size rules in length and depth, but will be 3.75 inches too wide. Will this be stopped at the gate? 22x17.75x9.8. The IATA model is even too wide by 1.5 inches.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If it is larger than the airlines carryon size allowance then of course you could be stopped and asked to check it.

It would depend on the airline and how strict they are with carryon.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

You might not even make it as far as the gate. At some airports, some carriers have "sizer" boxes before you even pass through security. If your carry-on does not fit in the sizer box, you must go back to the ticket counter and check it.

Also, maximum carry-on size can vary somewhat from airline to airline.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since your query concerns luggage, I've moved your post to the Travel Products forum to gain the attention of those FlyerTalkers who are most knowledgable of the subject. For future reference, you can find this forum listed under the "Travel&Dining" forum category (please see the FlyerTalk Forum Index).

Note to readers/mods: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk. Please reply accordingly.

Thanks everyone, and good luck to the OP.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old May 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: QF CL
Welcome to FT.

I have an IATA sized spinner in the Salsa Air range and a 56 "cabin" spinner in Limbo, which I suspect is the same size as the Topaz case you are considering. I agree the 56 will probably cause issues if you try to use it as carry on. I have yet to find a sizer that it will fit - the depth measurement is the problem - it's not even close. Even if you could get it past check in and security, I think it might be a challenge getting it into the overhead bins of some aircraft, too. i use mine for check-in only.

I travel frequently internationally with the IATA cabin spinner as my main carry on and so far I've had zero problems with it.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:45 am

Hi Rosieandbeauty -

Welcome to the club !

Congratulations. The Rimowa Topas case in Titanium is about as classy as it comes.

Many of the FT members fly using Rimowa Topas luggage.

I have not had problems, but as mentioned above, it is a moving target with some air carriers. The term " new size rules in length and depth " previously was the IATA standard, and today is no longer a universal constant. Weight limits are also a consideration today with some carriers more strict than others.

A few bits of information would be helpful:

1. What is the exact Rimowa Topas model number, or numbers you are considering ?

2. Which airlines do think you will be flying with ?

3. Commuter, Domestic, or international flights ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
I know this is An old thread. But I just purchased the Rimowa cabin plus in aluminum stealth. I currently use the TUMI continental which is a perfect size but wanted to switch it up. My concern isn’t that 22in as much since the TUMI is the same. My concern is the width. It’s 17.8 vs 16 ( TUMI ). I normally fly in F and I’m a DM on delta. I normally fly the a319,320,321 757-767-a330. My concern will it fit, and will I be stopped by the GA often. It’s getting delivered this week. I’m debating on returning it for the regular cabin size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.