Wiki Posts
Search

How to travel with a yoga mat?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
How to travel with a yoga mat?

I typically travel with a TRX, however I'd like to start traveling with a yoga mat on alternate weeks.

Does anyone know how I can make this work? Are there any products that allow me to "attach" it to my luggage and carry it on? If you know of an alternative to the traditional "rolled" yoga mat that works too. Do you think they'll even count it as a personal item?

Hotel yoga mats are a no-go. They are generally disgusting if they have them at all. Classes are hard to find in random cities when you are working variable hours. I tried to clean a hotel's yoga mat and that led to a nightmare which is actually a funny story (long story short - don't do it unless you want the hassle of an employee giving you the 3rd degree about what you are doing as you try to explain your airline-safe unmarked bottle of fluid is actually cleaner).

I'm not going to start checking my luggage just to bring the thing, but am very interested to know if there is a way to bring one along.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I've seen bags that have a sort of a pass through pocket for long narrow items, usually people with document tubes in tow (drawings, plans, etc.). The only example I was able to find quickly was this B&R Verb Kickback Tote:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...ack-Tote_VB203

But it's not really the same as the ones I've specifically seen in use... not sure how to search for such a feature. Good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
Look for a bag with external compression straps...my wife is currently traveling with an eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible Junior (whew!) and she is strapping the yoga mat on one side using the external compression straps. She is using a travel yoga mat though, which is thinner than your regular yoga mat. Note, the travel yoga mats are thinner and can actually be folded square...so if you clear enough room in your luggage you could pack it with everything else.

Last edited by aabrock2187; Apr 24, 2014 at 3:23 am Reason: more info on travel yoga mat
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by aabrock2187
Note, the travel yoga mats are thinner and can actually be folded square...so if you clear enough room in your luggage you could pack it with everything else.
Thank you! I did not know those existed! I did some research online and ran right out to REI when it opened. My new Manduka travel mat is sitting next to me and about to drive home :-). This will be perfect and also might solve the problem that my regular mat on my carpet at home is a bit too squishy.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:56 pm

This is the travel mat that I have. I was fortunate enough to be a Kickstarter backer during its campaign.

It looks to be more costly after the fact and a bit more pricey than the one you've found. However, it has many color customizations and its built-in straps allow for easy hanging to aid cleaning/drying.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:52 am

You could try a yoga mat bag or a mat strap
I go to conferences where I have to bring posters and those or what I use to bring the posters and they always let me take them on

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...ccessories.jsp

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...VTB0wG7m2kuTnQ

I am not sure if that is what you are looking for, but they are actually pretty helpful for at home use also
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
I travel with a foam roller often, it's 18" long and 6" diameter. My backpack has waist straps with clips, but they hang down below the bag - I'm looking for some straps that have corresponding clips so I can hang it below my backpack. As of now, I just carry it on with my backpack and rollaboard. Haven't been hassled yet even though it is technically a third piece.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: United
My wife has the Gaiam travel mat; it's basically a thin towel with a grippy surface. Seems like it does the job aequately. It does fold up pretty small, though it is somewhat heavier than just a regular terrycloth towel.
http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...theyogoftra-20
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:29 am

When I was tote shopping I came across this bag.

http://www.zappos.com/haiku-weekender-black
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:30 pm

People have been doing yoga for thousands of years without a mat. If you think you need a mat or any other commercial products to do yoga it means you don't know what yoga is.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SpartanTraveler
People have been doing yoga for thousands of years without a mat. If you think you need a mat or any other commercial products to do yoga it means you don't know what yoga is.
Or it means you like to be a bit more comfortable than you otherwise would by being on a hard surface...
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Pinned
Or it means you like to be a bit more comfortable than you otherwise would by being on a hard surface...
And that hotel carpets are pretty gross.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
Originally Posted by SpartanTraveler
You are in a forum where people discuss the best $100 quick-drying t-shirts and $1000 rolling suitcases..."need" does not exist in this dojo. There are a number of reasons why people want to use yoga mats. And I am pretty sure those that say "you don't know what yoga is" are missing a big piece of what yoga is.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:37 pm

I have an eBags Kayla Town Square tote that has a bottom with 2 adjustable straps (which can be zipped up and hidden away) made specifically to accommodate a yoga mat....or any other large object that can be rolled/folded/squished, such as a snow parka.http://http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/kalya-town-square/57682?productid=10019411 which also comes in black and a lighter red called Chili, but both of those colors appear to be temporarily sold out...

Last edited by elizadoo; May 13, 2014 at 10:48 pm
Old May 16, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Sorry that I don't remember where I got it anymore, but I have a "travel" yoga mat that is thin and maybe a little less wide that packs well and works pretty well enough given hotel carpets etc. You might try looking for one of those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.