Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Tumi Alpha Expandable - too big as a personal item?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Hey folks,

I have a Rimowa Salsa Deluxe IATA carry-on. I was looking to replace my laptop briefcase with a piece of luggage slightly bigger so I can include additional clothes/shoes on week-long trips.

Do you think I would have any issues if I used the Tumi Alpha (22125) as my personal item sitting on top of the Rimowa? I know this is a gray line but would appreciate your thoughts.
http://www.tumi.com/product/index.js...uctId=12737593

If not, any other bags come to mind that would do the trick? I am looking for a bag that would also be presentable in a business setting.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
You've omitted a key factor: Which airlines do you fly?

It probably wouldn't be a big issue on (for example) AA, but some airlines strictly enforce the size (for example, UA) and weight (for example, NZ) of carry-on bags such that the bag you propose might not be accepted as a personal item.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I fly primarily Air Canada (with some Delta). I definitely understand that the Tumi would actually be considered oversize, but for those with experience of carrying larger personal items the question would be how often is it enforced/what is the leniency?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Judging by the other folks I see boarding planes it does not appear to be enforced much if at all. However, I fly AA/BA - so hopefully someone else here has specific Delta/Air Canada experience.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:14 pm

Never had issues with mine on any of the domestic airlines (including UA).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

^Appreciate the responses folks.
Looks like a solid bag and what I am seeking. Just need to take a look in person!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
The Tumi's measurements, H x W x D: 13.75" x 19.5" x 8," are larger than allowed for a personal item on Air Canada (6" x 13" x 17"). I don't know if Air Canada enforces the size rules.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by controlyar
Looks like a solid bag and what I am seeking. Just need to take a look in person!
I was interested in one of these too and got to see one in person last week at a Tumi shop at ATL.

It would make an excellent carry-on but IMO is too large for a personal item. I compared it to my Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender it was slightly wider but a little shorter.

Whether the airline would let it on as a personal item depends on the airline, type of aircraft and the class your are flying but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were challenged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.