Wiki Posts
Search

Bag for Liquids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Perche
Originally Posted by JMN57
I've never had a problem with it internationally.
Went back and forth through LHR in the past week with the Tom Binh liquid bag with the black sides. No one raised any fuss. It seemed completely acceptable to them. Relief.
Great! One thing that is really nice about that bag is that the little loops at the end let you use a carabiner to attach the bag to the outside of a rolling bag or briefcase. I do that as I approach the checkpoint and it is one less thing to deal with. Although my checkpoint routine is a little rusty these days due to Precheck.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:00 am

I, too, used to use the Tom Bihn 3-D Clear Organizer Cube (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0917.html)

But then I was stopped at London Heathrow and forced to empty all the contents into one of their generic plastic bags to prove my liquids complied with regulations.

Since then I have been using the Hefty Freezer bags. I like them better than Ziplock due to the better sliding lock system.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by John Isaac
I, too, used to use the Tom Bihn 3-D Clear Organizer Cube (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0917.html)

But then I was stopped at London Heathrow and forced to empty all the contents into one of their generic plastic bags to prove my liquids complied with regulations.

Since then I have been using the Hefty Freezer bags. I like them better than Ziplock due to the better sliding lock system.
Ugh! Heading back through Heathrow tomorrow, I'll see if it's a problem. The first time it went OK. I just don't want the security folks to force me into using something as basic as a sandwich bag to carry my stuff. We are not on some type of emergency war footing, that we cannot have nice things. Just my preference. The Binh is nice.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
It's not much of a data point for international travel, but I've been through ATL (domestic), TUL, MDW, MSP, LAX, PDX, SEA, and DFW with either an Eagle Creek Pack-It Sak Small (Black, one dark opaque see-through side) or Ikea UPPTACKA pouch (Blue, one light opaque see-through side) with only the Ikea being mentioned once when I forgot to take the blade out of my DE razor. I wasn't forced to offload into a ziploc, but it was suggested I do so next time... I have yet to take them up on it.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
It's not much of a data point for international travel, but I've been through ATL (domestic), TUL, MDW, MSP, LAX, PDX, SEA, and DFW with either an Eagle Creek Pack-It Sak Small (Black, one dark opaque see-through side) or Ikea UPPTACKA pouch (Blue, one light opaque see-through side) with only the Ikea being mentioned once when I forgot to take the blade out of my DE razor. I wasn't forced to offload into a ziploc, but it was suggested I do so next time... I have yet to take them up on it.
Domestic is no problem. Seems like anyone can get Pre-Check these days. Heathrow, and a couple of the other international places, make TSA seem warm, welcoming, and reasonable. LHR security is a nightmare.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: SK *G, A3B
I'm on the Muji-wagon for my carry on essentials. I bought the pictured with a zipper over 5 years ago, it lasted me a long time traveling in Europe, until I moved to London and LHR became my homeport. They had recently gotten some new machinery, meaning, through Heathrow every liquidsbag has to be air-tight; zippers are out. Thus I hopped on down to Selfridge's to tell the oh so worldy ones at Muji that their products come to short. Luckily they had started to produce a new kind since my first visit ages ago. This buddy has been with me on journeys through LHR security for nearly 2 years, tight as a virgin!
[IMG WIDTH=341 HEIGHT=256]http://goldfox.me/box/image.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?...ub=79&PID=3402
[IMG=341x256]http://goldfox.me/box/image (2).jpg[/IMG]
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?...ub=79&PID=6018

Last edited by Goldfox; Jun 29, 2014 at 12:21 pm Reason: Resizing photos impossible
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by John Isaac

Came through LHR this past Sunday, and even though there was a generalized increase in security posted in the newspapers, I again didn't have any problem with my Tom Bihn liquid carrier.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:37 pm

Tom Bihn seems fine but there are alternatives out there that are very well made. REI has a Sea To Summit clear bag that is built very well. You can put a lightweight small aluminum carabiner on it and clip it on your bag when in the security line. Then you have the carabiner for multiple other uses while on your trip. This bag is water tight. If you pack small Nalgene bottles within this bag then you probably have the most leak proof 311 bag in the airport.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Tumi Split Travel Kit

Sorry to bring back a thread from the long-lost past. Was just in the local Tumi store yesterday and bought a new carry-on that will allow me to go for about 5 days without needed checked luggage. The saleslady was trying to upsell me on the Alpha 2 Split Travel Kit for my toiletries. She said it was useful for liquids as you could open it up for security to see what was in the clear plastic compartments. I've been using ziplocks up until now and would like something that looks more professional.

Anyone have any experience with this and security? This would be mostly for North American travel. When I'm in the US is not an issue as I have pre-check; however, all of my travel involves going through Canadian security. For my international trips to Europe I'll still be checking a bag. HKG and Asia I'll most likely do carry-on exclusively as these are usually 3-5 day trips.

Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
That Tumi is REALLY expensive for what it is, imo.

I use an old business class amenity kit, which can be had for under $10 on ebay (if I really wanted to replace it with the same thing) and I've not had a problem with that as my primary liquids baggie in trips within US, Canada, throughout Europe (UK and western continental Europe, primarily), and Japan/Korea. I think these look professional enough, although I'd say the same about most any toiletry bag, Tumi or not.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
You might get unlucky once in a blue moon but I've never found a tsa agent who actually cared if the bag your liquids are in was clear as long as they're in small bottles and separated. I just pull my toiletry kit out of my carry on and drop it on the belt. Started doing that after I had two separate agents tell me not to worry about unzipping the kit and pulling my liquids out.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:09 pm

I use the Eagle Creek Packit in the small, black size.

On the exterior, it's black mesh. On the interior, its a PVC lined pouch that's spillproof. When it goes through TSA they can see enough to know that there are liquids in there but when it comes out it has enough privacy that no one can see what's inside.

Used it for years, scores of trips, never had an issue.

BJ
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:39 am

Have been using the Index dopp kit from Arc'teryx with no pushback so far.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by boltjames

In my case, I'd love a narrower/longer design so that I could fit my liquids in the compartment on the back of a B&R bag. An orientation where they go 2-abreast by 2-high for example. Everything built now goes too wide to fit in there.

Would be ballistic on the sides, clear on the front and back, lined with plastic so that it's spillproof, zipper front, small pullhandle at the top.

BJ
Bit old now, but Id also love a bag that fit well in this compartment... Has anyone come up with a good solution?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by DangerM55
Bit old now, but Id also love a bag that fit well in this compartment... Has anyone come up with a good solution?
I tried finding something to fit in there for years before giving up, there just isn't anything suitable.

For awhile I used a gallon-sized Ziploc bag filled only halfway with liquids/toiletries, fiddled with it so that the things inside were in a stacked/narrow configuration, then wrapped the empty half of the Ziploc around it to hold it in place. But it was too inelegant, so I gave up.

I rarely use that back pouch anymore, and if I do its for something like an eyeglass case or a small pouch holding iPhone and Laptop cables. For toiletries and liquids, I use the Eagle Creek semi-transparent pouch shown a few posts above.

BJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.