Review: Ricardo Dash 20" Dual Wheel Spinner Carry-On- Costco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Ricardo Dash 20" Dual Wheel Spinner Carry-On- Costco

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
Went to buy one of these today (wife using my usual carry-on) and they are no longer carried in the Tigard, Ore. store except in a set - dang!

They've been replaced by a ballistic nylon "super lite" which I purchased for $49.99. No pics as I had to pack/use immediately, and it is on its first flight. Balance seems good even with a heavy laptop bag on top, but the zippers seem a bit weak.

It looks like the silver is out of stock online too... think I missed the boat on the hard case...
Old May 9, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

That's too bad! Try this Delsey, 100% polycarbonate, and same wheels as the one at Costco. Not as cheap, but again, same polycarbonate shell, same wheels, same packing system pretty much, and the handle might even be a bit better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PSVUUI/...=dradisplay-20

Old May 10, 2014, 5:40 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I brought my luggage scale and measuring tape with me to Costco today and played with the Ricardo. There were 12 left in the slate color and 1 in the blue. After examining it, I decided to put it back and not get it. This falls in the wide-body category and I almost always get challenged at the gate. I am petite and it is rare that I am not challenged because proportionally, things just look big next to me. I really liked the look and especially the price of the Ricardo.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Hmmmm... I got two of these bags for a trip to Europe. Is this bag to big for the European standard carry on?

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:48 pm

My Costco had a few of these left for $30. I was concerned about the size since the listed dimensions are larger than most carry on allowances. Since I was travelling for work and could expense any baggage fees, I took the chance and figured I could return it to Costco if forced to check it. I measured the bag when I got home and it appeared to be slightly smaller than listed.

I might not have had the best combination of flights to test if it would be too large. my initial flight to ATL was on a CRJ-200 so everything was getting gate checked. My flight from ATL-MCO and my flight from MCO-DTW didn't appear to have any restrictions on size since I saw plenty of bags larger than mine allowed onboard. The bag fit easily wheels first into the Delta 757 and 737 bins. I did place my bag into a United sizer at an unused gate. It fit into the sizer easily. I didn't check it in a Delta one.

I really like this bag. I only fly 2-3 times a year anymore so it should work great for that amount of usage.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by JCinPA
That's too bad! Try this Delsey, 100% polycarbonate, and same wheels as the one at Costco. Not as cheap, but again, same polycarbonate shell, same wheels, same packing system pretty much, and the handle might even be a bit better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PSVUUI/...=dradisplay-20

Someone in an earlier post asked if anyone had experience with the Delsey. I have one -- bought it a bit over a year ago. I've moved to a different approach to luggage (Tom Bihn must love me right now! ) but I've had good experiences with the Delsey. Easy to roll, well laid out interior (for my purposes). Mine is silver and I've checked it several times for various reasons -- there's a touch of scuffing on it, thanks to the tender mercies of United baggage handlers, but nothing very noticeable, and definitely no cracking.

Perhaps the most informative thing I can say about the bag is this: I really, really, REALLY wanted a Rimowa. I went to a store. I stood in front of the Holy Shrine of Rimowa. I reached out... gently touched one... finally found the courage to actually pick one up.... to roll it around... then turned to my partner and said....

"This feels exactly like my Delsey."

As always, your mileage may vary.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Hahahahaha! Really, REALLY wanted a Rimowa, I get it. I try to talk myself into that with other purchases in things I'm into from more than simply a utilitarian perspective.

Anyway *UPDATE*

I was in my local Costco yesterday and this roller is BACK! Only this time it's $50 with a $10 rebate, so net $40!

I am up to about 15 round trips on mine and it's holding up just fine and I still love it. I grabbed another one yesterday to put in storage as a spare.

Don't kid yourselves, this has the same wheels as on the Rimowa. I looked yesterday and they have not changed them and I've checked against Rimowa months ago. If you don't care what label is on your stuff, get a couple of these, you'll love them.

Again, my thesis is that these types of bags in general are more alike than different, and while there can be huge differences in robustness in ballistic luggage, there simply is not in this stuff. I'm not saying all these bags are created totally equal, but if you think a Rimowa is actually worth 10X the price of this Ricardo, well, no offense, but I want some of what you're smoking.

Date I saw this in Costco again, alone, not in a set, with the rebate, was October 13, 2014.

Go get one. Get two.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:22 pm

I enjoyed reading this review. It's always nice when true luggage addicts put pen to paper because you get that extra layer of appreciation for the details.

I see a lot of people with the Costco Ricardo Dash and it seems to serve them well. I recently traveled with a friend who has this exact same case and said that it's shared between multiple family members and still looks new. The fact that it has Hinomoto wheels is impressive, as I've seen these wheels used on Hartmann and Muji luggage.

I myself gave this format a try but found it didn't suit my needs. I dislike a zipper that goes between the wheels, because it increases the chances of scraping my sleeves against dirty wheels. And the split-half clamshell design doesn't work for me because I have very thick items to pack, like my coffee kettle (yes, I travel with my own coffee; we all have our quirks). But that's very specific to me.

I think the OP has a point that there is less of a range of quality when you are shopping for hardcase spinners between different brands. They all pretty much have the same format, they all have built-in TSA locks, so as long as you can account for a good zipper, virgin polycarbonate, high grade wheels and a strong handle, the rest is very similar. The only thing to really avoid in the lower end is ABS plastic as opposed to the stronger polycarbonate.

Back when I was still considering hardcases, it was surprising how similar they all felt. Even within the same brand, I couldn't find anything that differentiated Tumi's entry-level T-Tech hardcase between their more expensive Vapor. If you covered up all the logos of hardcase spinners, I'd be hard pressed to say which was which. It's only when you feel the more traditional nylon cases when quality differences can really be felt. The level of workmanship required to sew together a softcase is much different than a plastic case, which are all made from molds. Which is how I ended right back with a BR Baseline.

Last edited by clockmilk; Oct 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

*** UPDATE *** Long-Term Use

This will probably be my last update on this carry-on. I got the original in March of 2014 and it is now May, 2015.

I quit taking notes on this bag, but I was just a couple legs shy of A-List Preferred on Southwest last year (50 one-way/25 round trips per year), but I had a few trips on other airlines and I've continued this year so I'd guess I have about 30+ trips on this bag.

Still works great, still looks fine, wheels and handle are still functioning great. Costco still gets these in as a single carry-on every now and then, and they often have a 2-piece set.

I can't recommend this enough. I considered it disposable luggage I have not had to dispose of. I still think folks who get a Rimowa hard spinner are nuts

But hey, I waste money my way ... you waste money your way, it's all good!
Old May 31, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: DL, Amex Rewards
We had an interesting experience with our Costco luggage including the one discussed above.
A taxi driver in Japan wasn't careful when he closed his trunk with our suitcases inside and he broke off one of the wheels while we were traveling around by train in Japan for three weeks last year. The hotel inquired locally about where we could get it repaired and they said it would take a week to get the replacement wheels.
As we pulled into the train station in Hiroshima, we noticed the Costco warehouse so we decided to make a field trip out of it.
They had the identical two-pack of Ricardo luggage for about $20 more than what we paid for in Florida. And we actually got reimbursed for the whole purchase through our travel insurance policy. Just had to submit pictures to the insurance company.

It was the most fun to see a foreign Costco with almost everything identical to our Florida warehouse but with special offerings including an expanded sushi counter. And the free tasting samples they were offering were for a lot of interesting Japanese products. Luckily we had our Costco Amex cards to get in and we were able to use other credit cards to pay for our purchase.
The walk to the Costco was very interesting too since it was right next to the Hiroshima Carp's Mazda stadium and it was right before a game was starting, so the people-watching opportunities were incredible.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:48 am

Hahahahaha! Anyway *UPDATE*
I was in my local Costco yesterday and this roller is BACK! Only this time it's $50 with a $10 rebate, so net $40!
This will probably be my last update on this carry-on. I got the original in March of 2014 and it is now May, 2015.
I quit taking notes on this bag, but I was just a couple legs shy of A-List Preferred on Southwest last year (50 one-way/25 round trips per year), but I had a few trips on other airlines and I've continued this year so I'd guess I have about 30+ trips on this bag.

^^^
Bump +1, back on-sale at my local Costco, $49.99 less mfg discount $10.00 so net $39.99 + tax.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is this the same one?

It's $50 at Costco.com, only in gray:

http://www.costco.com/Ricardo-Beverl...100230067.html
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Is this the same one?

It's $50 at Costco.com, only in gray:

http://www.costco.com/Ricardo-Beverl...100230067.html
It's not the exact same. The one reviewed here is the Ricardo Dash. The exterior is a different design, but based on the pictures, the interior works the same. Not sure about the overall size or sturdiness of this Beverly Hills model.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I could see the exterior design is different.

But at least on costco.com, this is the only Ricardo in that price range. So they either ran out of the Dash or the stores may have different inventory.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
I'm a Costco junkie. A Samsonite carry-on purchased in 2009 was showing its age after about 400,000 miles of travel. I purchased one of these Ricardo carry-one for $50 and was happy. I missed having exterior pockets but I liked the zippered interior compartment. After the first trip I noticed the fabric around the exterior zipper had started to fray. No biggie, I just trimmed the threads to keep them from getting caught. On my return from my third trip (and only 22,000 miles), one end of a handle came loose. I know how to fix this, but I've never had one fail so quickly.

I returned the Ricardo. Perhaps it was just a bad sample, but I'm not inclined to give it a second chance. I know that most in this thread have had a better experience. I'm happy for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.