Reload this Page >

New Patagonia MLC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Patagonia MLC

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 1:48 pm

I love my MLC bag that I've had since 2006. It has gone around the world with me several times, and it is still going strong. I talk really positively about it but was disappointed when the size decreased so much. If something happens to my trusty bag, which I don't foresee happening anytime soon, then I will definitely consider this updated MLC.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

That makes sense. There are negatives to the new MLC (eg, material) but at least it is true to size not like the recent iterations of theMLC before the new a Transport MLC line. I have an old ELC (extended legal carry-on that is a bit too large) but that materials and finish are nicer than the new lines.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:59 pm

This is too big to be a personal item, correct? I am looking for a new "under the seat in front of you" bag, and looked at Patagonia's 26L "shoulder bag." Would be nice if it had backpack straps for when I wanted to use it that way.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by nonstopski
This is too big to be a personal item, correct? I am looking for a new "under the seat in front of you" bag, and looked at Patagonia's 26L "shoulder bag." Would be nice if it had backpack straps for when I wanted to use it that way.
This bag is called MLC - Maximum Legal Carryon. That means it is sized to be the main bag, not the personal item.

That said, it is a soft bag and if not full could probably be jammed into a personal item sizer. If you wear it (not overstuffed) on your back as a backpack, most FAs won't say a word to you.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:03 pm

Just got this and it's nice. I had a nice jack spade overhead canvas bag as well, but this one has so many pockets and it's geared to organization. I do have a gripe. Why does the main zipper compartment with YKK zippers always snag on the inside liner? I feel that this is a defect. It seems like a simple fabric strip that would stiffen the top of the inside liner would fix it. Will try that next, but I also send an email to patagonia to see if they had any fixes. For such an expensive bag, it really should not suffer from this problem.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:29 am

Any updates on the durability of this bag? I am comparing it to the aeronaut and have both in hand. The aeronaut construction is much more solid as well as the materials but it seems like it's a double edged sword. However, the aeronaut seems slower to use (slower to pack, slower to access things, no real admin pocket, slower/tighter zippers, etc.).

Is the current MLC durable enough to set on the pavement periodically, toss in and out of a car, possibly be checked in? I have some REI stuff that is made of recycled materials that haven't done well with the occasional check-in or rub on the pavement while waiting for a cab or rental car. On the other hand, the aeronaut seems bomb proof. Because of its ability to hold its shape, it even seems bigger than the MLC at certain angles. Think broader shoulders vs. the pudginess of the MLC.

The MLC looks sloppy and saggy when under packed. I wonder if clothes, even in cubes, would settle to the bottom of which ever way it is carried. The wide main compartment is infinitely easier to access and it's nice that the additional compartments take no space when not in use. The MLC would be much easier to fit an occasional suit. The space between the main compartment and the top compartment serves a nice place to place a jacket or a secondary bag even. The organization of the admin pocket is great for tossing a water bottle in a slot, or papers, pens in slots, key ring, and more. Then there's the outermost pocket for random stuff like boarding info. It's actually a big pocket though. I also like how the entire inside is lined so I can see easier and have less worry of the urethane coating rubbing off. The hand straps are okay but seem to really tug on the material. I can see some of the stitching already where most of the stress is where the handles are sewn in directly to the outer fabric. The strap would work it seems from limited testing. The backpack straps are very easy to deploy and stow. They seem to be oddly angled or too close together and put a bit of pressure on the base of the neck regardless of how low or high it is worn. I don't seem to have issues with the liner binding the zipper during my home testing.

With the aeronaut, I'm worried I won't be able to fit certain larger things like a suit or something acquired abroad. The bag feels very sturdy though without being heavy. Hard to explain. The material seems like it could take a major beating. I don't like the exposed urethane coating in some areas. The water resistant zippers are almost a hinderance and make it tougher to open. Could be a plus though to deter opportunistic thieves though. There is basically no admin pocket. The very end flat pockets hard difficult to use and seem almost like afterthoughts. You pretty much need to buy internal organizational pouches in addition to any existing cubes you already have. The colors and the dyneema interior is very cool though. The hand strap is nice and supports the bag well and would allow for a jacket to be tucked between the snap handles. The backpack straps are nice but not ventilated and the padding creases compared to the MLC ones. But they are overall more comfortable. The absolute strap is way overbuilt and long. The metal buckles while nice are heavy and overkill. The attachment anchors on the bag are even plastic. It weighs 8 oz, a lot when you are trying to reduce overall weight for the tight restricting these days.

While it seems like the MLC may be the choice, it is so difficult to choose. I don't want to worry about the bag failing or simply relying on patagonias warranty while abroad. It want to be more worry free. But potential usability issues with the aeronaut concern me. Maybe I'm overblowing the usability issues as it seems the aeronaut have a wide following. One other thing I consider is with the MLC, one can upgrade once and still spend less than the aeronaut and some of the accessories for it. So if the aeronaut is updated with some better features it will be more difficult to upgrade with good conscience.

Sorry for the rambling. It's also difficult to type on the iPad. Hope to get the discussion going again on the MLC.

LordHamster: you can stow the backpack strap buckles by pushing them into the little sleeve it comes out of. You can see they are attached to a nylon strap segment and can slide in and out.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by blulegend
Any updates on the durability of this bag? I am comparing it to the aeronaut and have both in hand. The aeronaut construction is much more solid as well as the materials but it seems like it's a double edged sword. However, the aeronaut seems slower to use (slower to pack, slower to access things, no real admin pocket, slower/tighter zippers, etc.).

Is the current MLC durable enough to set on the pavement periodically, toss in and out of a car, possibly be checked in? I have some REI stuff that is made of recycled materials that haven't done well with the occasional check-in or rub on the pavement while waiting for a cab or rental car. On the other hand, the aeronaut seems bomb proof. Because of its ability to hold its shape, it even seems bigger than the MLC at certain angles. Think broader shoulders vs. the pudginess of the MLC.

The MLC looks sloppy and saggy when under packed. I wonder if clothes, even in cubes, would settle to the bottom of which ever way it is carried. The wide main compartment is infinitely easier to access and it's nice that the additional compartments take no space when not in use. The MLC would be much easier to fit an occasional suit. The space between the main compartment and the top compartment serves a nice place to place a jacket or a secondary bag even. The organization of the admin pocket is great for tossing a water bottle in a slot, or papers, pens in slots, key ring, and more. Then there's the outermost pocket for random stuff like boarding info. It's actually a big pocket though. I also like how the entire inside is lined so I can see easier and have less worry of the urethane coating rubbing off. The hand straps are okay but seem to really tug on the material. I can see some of the stitching already where most of the stress is where the handles are sewn in directly to the outer fabric. The strap would work it seems from limited testing. The backpack straps are very easy to deploy and stow. They seem to be oddly angled or too close together and put a bit of pressure on the base of the neck regardless of how low or high it is worn. I don't seem to have issues with the liner binding the zipper during my home testing.

With the aeronaut, I'm worried I won't be able to fit certain larger things like a suit or something acquired abroad. The bag feels very sturdy though without being heavy. Hard to explain. The material seems like it could take a major beating. I don't like the exposed urethane coating in some areas. The water resistant zippers are almost a hinderance and make it tougher to open. Could be a plus though to deter opportunistic thieves though. There is basically no admin pocket. The very end flat pockets hard difficult to use and seem almost like afterthoughts. You pretty much need to buy internal organizational pouches in addition to any existing cubes you already have. The colors and the dyneema interior is very cool though. The hand strap is nice and supports the bag well and would allow for a jacket to be tucked between the snap handles. The backpack straps are nice but not ventilated and the padding creases compared to the MLC ones. But they are overall more comfortable. The absolute strap is way overbuilt and long. The metal buckles while nice are heavy and overkill. The attachment anchors on the bag are even plastic. It weighs 8 oz, a lot when you are trying to reduce overall weight for the tight restricting these days.

While it seems like the MLC may be the choice, it is so difficult to choose. I don't want to worry about the bag failing or simply relying on patagonias warranty while abroad. It want to be more worry free. But potential usability issues with the aeronaut concern me. Maybe I'm overblowing the usability issues as it seems the aeronaut have a wide following. One other thing I consider is with the MLC, one can upgrade once and still spend less than the aeronaut and some of the accessories for it. So if the aeronaut is updated with some better features it will be more difficult to upgrade with good conscience.

Sorry for the rambling. It's also difficult to type on the iPad. Hope to get the discussion going again on the MLC.

LordHamster: you can stow the backpack strap buckles by pushing them into the little sleeve it comes out of. You can see they are attached to a nylon strap segment and can slide in and out.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
If you like the Aeronaut build quality, but not the design, have you looked at the MEI Executive Overnighter? I've been very impressed with the durability on mine. I've checked it with no visible damage (I did tuck the shoulder straps away before checking to prevent them getting checked). Fabric seems as durable as my Tumi briefcase that I've now been abusing for a decade with no visible outside damage.

I usually have a suit in mine when I'm traveling, sometimes two and it has never been a problem. The external compression straps make it easier to morph the size of the bag than the Aeronaut appears to be (I've seen other travelers with them in airports, but I don't personally own one).

Here's some review threads:

Matrick's http://http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1652748-mei-executive-overnighter-first-impressions-photos-red-oxx-comparison.html

LLNave - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-review.html

Mine: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ernighter.html
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by lostinohio
If you like the Aeronaut build quality, but not the design, have you looked at the MEI Executive Overnighter? I've been very impressed with the durability on mine. I've checked it with no visible damage (I did tuck the shoulder straps away before checking to prevent them getting checked). Fabric seems as durable as my Tumi briefcase that I've now been abusing for a decade with no visible outside damage.

I usually have a suit in mine when I'm traveling, sometimes two and it has never been a problem. The external compression straps make it easier to morph the size of the bag than the Aeronaut appears to be (I've seen other travelers with them in airports, but I don't personally own one).

Here's some review threads:

Matrick's http://http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1652748-mei-executive-overnighter-first-impressions-photos-red-oxx-comparison.html

LLNave - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-review.html

Mine: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ernighter.html
Thanks, I will take a look.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:00 pm

I use my MLC quite a bit (probably more often than any other at this point). So far it has held up perfectly with no visible signs of wear. The zippers still like to catch the thin lining material, but durability has been top notch. The Backpack clips do stow away inside the little sleeve they deploy from.

If I have to take a suit jacket, the MLC is second only to the Redoxx airboss. It nicely holds my Eagle Creek garment sleeve

Originally Posted by blulegend

Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I use my MLC quite a bit (probably more often than any other at this point). So far it has held up perfectly with no visible signs of wear. The zippers still like to catch the thin lining material, but durability has been top notch. The Backpack clips do stow away inside the little sleeve they deploy from.

If I have to take a suit jacket, the MLC is second only to the Redoxx airboss. It nicely holds my Eagle Creek garment sleeve
Thanks! Glad to hear it has survived well. Does it still collect dust on the outside?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:56 am

... It nicely holds my Eagle Creek garment sleeve
I've been thinking of getting one of these for quite a while. I assume you're happy with it? How much do you put in it?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Rusearch
I've been thinking of getting one of these for quite a while. I assume you're happy with it? How much do you put in it?
I typically wear "suit separates" or just a blue blazer as a sportcoat. In most cases I just wear the suit jacket/blazer on the plane. If for some reason I'll be on an RJ with no coat check, I'll use the Garment sleeve. Works fairly well. When at my destination, I hang the jacket in the shower with water directed away from it and just steam the heck out of it to get rid of any minor wrinkles that come from packing.

I find Bundle wrapping with the jacket on the outside works even better.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:16 pm

I typically wear "suit separates" or just a blue blazer as a sportcoat. In most cases I just wear the suit jacket/blazer on the plane. If for some reason I'll be on an RJ with no coat check, I'll use the Garment sleeve. Works fairly well. When at my destination, I hang the jacket in the shower with water directed away from it and just steam the heck out of it to get rid of any minor wrinkles that come from packing.

I find Bundle wrapping with the jacket on the outside works even better.
Thanks for the response; that's just how I was planning to use it. I think I'll stick with bundle packing...
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Just about 2 years after I started this thread, I noticed that Patagonia once again introduced a new version of the MLC, the Patagonia Headway MLC 45L.

This time it looks like the same design as the previous Transport MLC 45L; however, they have switched the material to cordura-branded ballistic nylon.

Many people in this thread commented about the polyester material used on the Transport (less abrasion resistant, caught dust, etc.) so wanted to make sure people were aware of the change.

Now if only they would go back to metal hardware they had on the ELC I bought around 1996 ...

I haven't seen the Headway in person but may get one. I love the organization of the bag, and think the design is great. I also like the fact that it has shoulder straps, hand straps, backpack straps AND a luggage pass through (while I don't usually take wheeled luggage, I often find myself wheeling my wife's bag while she tends to the kids). Some designers have have All of the same options on their bags (e.g., Eagle Creek) while some (e.g., Tom Bihn) force you to choose between backpack or pass through (and in fact now have given up on pass through support entirely).

Last edited by TravlnD; Feb 1, 2016 at 6:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.