FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Thoughts on IT Luggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1540228-thoughts-luggage.html)

Pinned Jan 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Thoughts on IT Luggage?

http://www.ebags.com/product/interna...uctid=10289916

Saw these bags in the store the other day, and they seem like quite a good value. They're fairly sturdy feeling and exceptionally light. I almost always use a carryon, but would be concerned about how easily a bag like this would stand up to abuse if it were to be checked.

Does anyone have any experience with these? How's the long term durability? Any drawbacks or issues?

haa Jan 11, 2014 10:12 am

I have used IT luggage "lightest max cabin size" rollers for several years now, with good experiences. I usually travel with carryon-only bag whenever possible.

When I got tired ot carrying everything on my shoulder I went from the Air Boss (great shoulder bag) to IT luggage (previously called sub-0-G, google and search FT for reviews with that name also) roller bags because they are the same weight (from 1.5kg for 21") but with wheels.

I think these are OK as carryon but not strong enough to be checked in, with their "frame sticks with soft sides" construction. I worry a bit about forced or gate check-in sometimes.

In many areas of the world carryon weight limits are often very small (8 kg, or even only 5-6 kg) and can be strictly enforced, so the lightest (by weight) bag is really key to doing one-bag travel around the world.

Sometimes I use a piece of rigid but lightweight "advertising board" inside the bottom of the soft sided bag, to keep the soft bottom from bulging too much.

I'm now on my second bag from them, the "21" laptop trolley" which has a padded compartment for my laptop (quick to take it out at security or otherwise) and more pockets than the previous models.

I'm still somewhat amazed that you can have a good roller bag that weighs only 1.5-1.8kg (about 3-4 lbs).

Pinned Jan 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks for the review! I think for $75 or so, it's worth buying. I'll take your advice about the advertising board as I tend to overpack. I don't check bags very often so I think this would probably hold up fine in the rare occurrence that I do.

What do you think of the zippers? Are they sturdy?

mg10461 Jan 21, 2014 6:48 am

second gen different size and not so good

I have the first gen of the IT luggage - had it for 5 years I think. I got the set on sale and I carryon only about half the time and check about half the time - so I use the 24 in when I check and it gets checked 5-8 times a year probably. Mostly multi-leg flights. It has held up really well. Wheels , and zippers are like new. The handle is a little sticky now - I have to tug it up. I haven't been kind to it - dragged it up stairs, thrown in trains, car boots etc. And i just couldn't go back to a heavy suitcase after the under 5lbs. I also have a lipault (this bag hoarding is a mental disorder) which is way nicer looking and only a bit heavier, but it is more "frameless" so it is harder to stack things on top if you want to piggyback.

So I got the IT second gen on sale. It is smaller (22-23 vs 24 high, not including handles and wheels and 8 vs 10 wide Also a little narrower). This one does look flimsy and the zippers are sticky, so the build quality is really different. Not in a good way. I am going to give it a try in march, which is the next time I will be checking a bag.

But if I am checking, one of the reasons is that I want some room. I am not getting that much more room from a 20-21" (sometimes 22") carry on that would fit in a trans atlantic flight to justify the hassle of checking. It doesn't really look like it will hold up. I will keep you posted, but it looks like a thumbs down, and it is a shame because they were reasonably priced and lighter that some suitcases without wheels.

lwildernorva Jan 21, 2014 8:53 am

I have the second gen 22". So long as the bag is under your control--carried on a flight, put in a car trunk--I think there's no problem with the bag's construction. I do not believe this is a good bag for checking given its flimsy construction. I also wish the handle extended another couple of inches farther. I'm five feet, nine inches tall, and I can't imagine trying to pull this bag if I were six feet.

On the other hand, the bag's light weight is truly a joy. Packed fully but not to the gills, I find it easy to lift, and I'm no bodybuilder. This is the only roller I have as I prefer no wheels, but I think I spent my money wisely. It's a good bag for me for golf trips because I can hook this bag to my rolling golf travel bag. Without clubs, I still prefer my Red Oxx XS Aviator.

Pinned Jan 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to go take a second look at these. I'd like some new luggage as my current stuff is total junk. Since I almost exclusively do carry on I think the IT is probably a good fit.

mrjay Jan 25, 2014 3:19 pm

I just saw these at Marshalls here in So Calif, the 22"x14"x8" was $39.95. They had the larger sizes as well, but I didn't check the price on them.

tcl Jan 29, 2014 11:13 am

I saw the carry-on size in a TJ Maxx in RI past August/September for 39.99 too. I recall that they were 2nd Generation and in Florida colours such as lavender and seafoam.

This is the type of luggage that needs to be packed solid in order to help support the strength of the frame and decrease the amount of damage. I had an ancient Delsey carry-on that was very similar that died an awful death when loaned to a relative that casually checked it half empty. :(

lwildernorva Jul 12, 2014 11:29 am

Sort of a sad postscript to my earlier post. I used the IT as I described above, hooking it to my golf bag with a connecting device. Great so long as it worked, but the strain on the IT's thin tubes eventually caused the extension mechanism to pop off one of the stops that locks the handle in place on one side. My earlier comments about the lightweight construction and efficient use of the space within the bag remain unchanged, but I'm afraid my concerns about the durability of this bag were well founded--you definitely don't want to check this bag.

tcl Jul 14, 2014 2:34 pm

It seems the price has gone up to $49.99.

I just picked one up without checking/thinking because I shocked to see it in travel-friendly/dirt-friendly black this past weekend at a TJMaxx.

I also noticed that the carry-on size does not have the top exterior zippered pocket and is missing some velcro partners on the interior under the zippered lining. Perhaps these are seconds? or seconds plus being part of broken up luggage set? TJMaxx does like to break sets up for individual sale.

It feels a bit flimsy and most likely won't stand up to being shoved into the back of a blue van or an airport bus even when packed full for extra structure. My main concern is that the pull handle does not lock in any direction. My older wheelies were damaged when the pull handles were misused and not retracted by baggage handlers. While I'm generally not rough on my gear, it seems like it will need much baby-ing so I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

ikwia Aug 5, 2017 11:18 pm

I just used the IT Luggage 22" rollaboard for the first time. I found it completely serviceable as a carry on, but I wouldn't even think of checking it. I will only be using this on trips when I am severely weight constrained, but I found it fine for that purpose. I was able to pack for a week, including exercise clothes and shoes (but all casual clothing, no business attire). I am about 5'9" and found the handle length just fine, and the rubber on the handle is very comfortable. I even found that I was able to push the bag if I was careful, despite the handle not locking. There is little exterior protection, so I would lift it over curbs...otherwise, you'll be scraping the thin fabric against the curb. The outer fabric bulges a fair amount when packed, and slight sagging of the bottom does cause the wheels to "spread" a bit, but not excessively. I paid ~$40 for it, and highly recommend it at that price. Oh, a Tom Binh Cadet fits over the handle just fine.

While on my trip, I was able to see the Samsonite Uplite 2 wheel version, and I do think it is a superior bag, but it is priced accordingly (~$180). It has a conventional width locking telescoping handle and generally seemed to be of sturdier construction. I like that it has some of the traditional plastic bumpers to protect against going up curbs, etc. It also appears to have slightly more interior room than the IT Luggage bag. It is slightly heavier, but still impressively light. I would opt for this option if you want a light bag that will see frequent use.