Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Yet another "carry on with suit" dilemma

Yet another "carry on with suit" dilemma

Old Mar 14, 14, 8:33 am

A suggestion

Pack the suit pants, shirts etc in the bag. Wear what you are comfortable with on the plane but carry the suit jacket over your arm as you board or if you need to put it on over what you are wearing just to board the plane. Once you are on board take the suit jacket off and put it in the overhead compartment.
Old Mar 16, 14, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ggf9191 View Post
Pack the suit pants, shirts etc in the bag. Wear what you are comfortable with on the plane but carry the suit jacket over your arm as you board or if you need to put it on over what you are wearing just to board the plane. Once you are on board take the suit jacket off and put it in the overhead compartment.
On the surface your scheme sounds good. Lets analyze from a different passengers perspective.

SO Hobo gets on the plane with his Topas, and tosses it up top totally filling the space (but within the space) of his allotted amount.

Where does the jacket go in the overhead compartment?

He cant put it on top of the Topas because it is fully using the space.
Unless he jams that suit down to an inch - or carefully places it on top then tries to slide it back in as one piece (while passengers wait for him to finish so they can get on to business)
I doubt that - so where does he or you for that matter put it?

Im guessing you/he sets it next to your bag- taking up space that isn't actually yours.

Then fawn over it as everyone else threatens to wrinkle or potentially tear it up by taking the space that is allotted to them.

I spend a lot of dough on suits.
I get that many don't- but those that don't reinforce that with their choices and aren't fooling anyone.
I wouldn't do this unless its just a beater jacket. Its filthy up there as well.

Can you explain in your scenario exactly where the jacket goes?

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; Mar 16, 14 at 10:11 am
Old Mar 17, 14, 1:17 am

I used to stuff my suit and dust cover into my carry-on, hanger and all, when I decided it'd be much more convenient to fold my suit (like this: http://www.blacklapel.com/thecompass...hen-traveling/) and place it inside a medium TUMI packing cube. I can even fit a couple of shirts and ties in there too.

That way, I can put it in a back pack, duffle, or whatever else I might be carrying.
Old Mar 18, 14, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
On the surface your scheme sounds good. Lets analyze from a different passengers perspective.

SO Hobo gets on the plane with his Topas, and tosses it up top totally filling the space (but within the space) of his allotted amount.

Where does the jacket go in the overhead compartment?

He cant put it on top of the Topas because it is fully using the space.
Unless he jams that suit down to an inch - or carefully places it on top then tries to slide it back in as one piece (while passengers wait for him to finish so they can get on to business)
I doubt that - so where does he or you for that matter put it?

Im guessing you/he sets it next to your bag- taking up space that isn't actually yours.

Then fawn over it as everyone else threatens to wrinkle or potentially tear it up by taking the space that is allotted to them.

I spend a lot of dough on suits.
I get that many don't- but those that don't reinforce that with their choices and aren't fooling anyone.
I wouldn't do this unless its just a beater jacket. Its filthy up there as well.

Can you explain in your scenario exactly where the jacket goes?

UD
The closet.
Old Mar 19, 14, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton View Post
The closet.
Great option for guys with priority boarding.

If full then where?

Poster mentions "overhead" but doesn't mention how 2 items occupy the same space.

UD
Old Mar 20, 14, 3:02 pm

The "dilemma" isn't really one.

You either-

1. Wear it on the plane.

2. Learn to pack it correctly and within regulation size.

3. Make it our problem with some combo of stuff that you get by the GA with.

If I couldn't pack my suit and stuff in something like what you see below I'd have been waiting at the ramp with everyone else.

This is the dreaded CRJ- Tom Bihn Aeronaut sails through with ease.

UD

Old Mar 21, 14, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Great option for guys with priority boarding.

If full then where?

Poster mentions "overhead" but doesn't mention how 2 items occupy the same space.

UD
If full he's gotta wear it.

I'm just suggesting an option, do whatever you feel is best. If he is traveling as much as he says he will have priority boarding. And I have never come across a closet too full for a jacket anyway.
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton View Post
If full he's gotta wear it.

I'm just suggesting an option, do whatever you feel is best. If he is traveling as much as he says he will have priority boarding. And I have never come across a closet too full for a jacket anyway.
I have run into full closets quite often- especially in the winter in the east.

When flying on non status airlines I often end up in the back of the bus myself. No closet room back there.

You seem quite pragmatic- Im not querying you...

UD