Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Laptop Backpack That Doesn't Look Techie or Corporate

Old Dec 22, 13, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

I'm looking for a backpack that can fit and protect my Macbook Pro 17 - but I'd like to find something stylish looking rather than a techie bag or something "corporate" looking.

My current bag has developed a tear, but it was an amazing Victorinox I got at Costco for $30 - lots and lots of internal storage space across a variety of compartments with a flexible nylon material that allowed the bag to shape-shift enough to fit under the seat even when full.

I found a similar bag at ebags with the right price point, and while it very closely resembles my current bag, the style just isn't there for me.

This is the bag online http://www.ebags.com/product/samsoni...uctid=10146704

If anyone can suggest a bag with similar storage capacity/layout and much nicer looking style for a similar price point, I would appreciate it
Old Dec 23, 13, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
A better definition of what you consider "techie" and "corporate" might help. Something leather might fit the bill, especially with a messenger style flap and once it has some age/distress to it.
Old Dec 23, 13, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're missing the obvious.

Take it back to Costco for a free replacement.

(Unlikely they still have the same style in stock, of course)
Old Dec 28, 13, 5:55 pm

How about a leather satchel or bag?

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bag...RI&searchidx=1
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:11 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
"My current bag has developed a tear..."

And the next one will too if your budget is $30. If you're really not willing to invest more, then just search the virtual clearance racks at Sierra Trading Post, Backcountry.com, Campmor, etc. The people reading this can give you recommendations, but for that price you're talking drastic mark-down level or a poorly made knock-off from Chinatown.
Old Dec 29, 13, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by travelingsuit View Post
How about a leather satchel or bag?

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bag...RI&searchidx=1
I like the idea of a leather messenger bag, but I'm concerned about the lack of a padded laptop pouch and protective storage - not to mention the wear and tear on the bag being shoved under the seat.
Old Dec 29, 13, 10:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Doing my armchair bargain shopping after a Sunday morning brunch, I came across some eBags deals, initially for a 16" one but this is for 17" laptop - 67% marked down and free shipping via eBag's own eBay store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-eBags-La...item589da5589c
Old Dec 29, 13, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I personally like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=2530769011
Old Dec 29, 13, 8:24 pm

Backpacks are the most difficult to replace - My Ogio Friction is no longer made (2006 model) and now they are no longer available even on Ebay.

At airports/hotels/restaurants, etc. I'm always keeping an eye out for potentials.

That one you listed (Samsonite Tectonic Large Backpack) looks pretty good.
Old Jan 1, 14, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Very interesting backpack. I prefer a strapless swiss army.
Old Jan 1, 14, 7:15 pm

For my bag.. I've gone the "military" look. I'm using a $35 every day carry bag, and have added on a $20 water bottle pouch that holds a 32oz nalgene, and has another pocket. I got a deal for some other smaller pouches from Amazon and will add those on the bag as well. Trying to do it all in black.

The bag is pretty sturdy, and takes the weight of all my work stuff in it well. 2 laptops, notebooks, chargers, other supplies.
Old Jan 3, 14, 12:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat

Originally Posted by travelingsuit View Post
For my bag.. I've gone the "military" look. .
I have also gone military look:
http://www.511tactical.com/rush-12-backpack.html
Old Jan 6, 14, 7:15 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I have used a Lowe Alpine backpack for many years as a laptop carrier and commuter/daypack.
I got it at the Cotswold outdoor gear chain in the UK.

It is tough and waterproof, grey and functional-looking and doesn't seem to raise any eyebrows when I take it into meetings, not that I would care.

It's very comfortable, has enough pockets and internal compartments for my use but has a fairly slim profile. I don't want to be tempted to overfill a pack and be toting around something bulky or heavy. You know, the kind of thing that clears a supermarket shelf every time you turn around, or clouts a commuter in the face.

Also it folds small enough that I can pack it in my checked luggage or drop it into my rollaboard.

They don't make exactly the same model any more, but the Vector range or Helix-16 would be the nearest equivalent now. I prefer to look in outdoor gear shops than tech shops.

One thing though - isn't Victorinox is supposed to have a lifetime guarantee? If so Costco should send it for repair for you.
Old Jan 6, 14, 11:31 am

I have an Eagle Creek Conor backpack that works great for me and is very lightweight. They have several models that are designed for computers.

Timbuk2 has several models that look nice, as well.
Old Jan 6, 14, 3:03 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Hello Kitty backpacks seem very popular in certain circles these days and do not appear either "Techie" or "Corporate"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: