Drilling into Heys xcase polycarbonate luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.

I was at a trade-show a couple weeks ago and one of the vendors was making custom dog tag style luggage tags at their booth.

They basically look like this with their logo on the other side:

I was contemplating riveting it to my Heys polycarbonate suitcase, if I drill 4mm holes do you think I can rivet it with a 1/8th inch rivet without cracking anything?

I lost a suitcase at SLC about six years ago after the tags supposedly got caught in a machine so I have been contemplating this ever since I got these.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:32 am

Yes you can do that ...but I would recommend using a 1/8" bit in a Dremel tool which uses less torque and more speed to achieve the same result. Anytime I drill into plastics (or variations thereof) I prefer the Dremel tool.

Also, when setting your tag, use a rivet 'washer' on the inside to act as strain relief on the edges of the hole...sometimes the force of a pop rivet can create hairline fractures in the material that could be a problem down the road.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
If you can find a bit of polycarbonate at a local store, you might want to practice your drilling first.

I second the Dremel idea; high speed, low torque, and also the rivets are a good idea. I would also think about 'finishing' the holes with a warm soldering iron to smooth off any points of stress. Having said that, polycarbonate shouldn't be susceptible to fracturing whilst drilling in the same way, for example, plexiglass is.

But I would practice first!

Having said all that, I would be tempted not to drill into the case, but stick with the tags and get a laminated sheet with your address on which you can lay on top of your clothes inside the case every time you travel.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:09 am

Not a Heys vendor ( with the ID dog tags ) I take it.

Frankly, unless this tag could be secured in a recessed space on the case, I would not apply it. Rivets come loose and break off, especially on flexible surfaces. If this tag then sticks out and catches a case on a conveyor, aren't you right back where you were before at SLC when you lost luggage ?

One final consideration is just what does this bit of cosmetic surgery do to your warranty ?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I am wondering whether you'd be better off with a luggage strap with a built in name tag.

Last edited by chx1975; Oct 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
The vendor making the tags manufactures weather hardened networking and telco equipment

In any event me and one of my colleagues who also had them made went over to the fabrication shop where they helped us. Her bag was partially fabric.

They gave us washers that were 1/8th of an inch thick, drilled the holes with a drill bit intended for plastic and fastened them down with steel rivets with a really long grip.

I see luggage warranties as sort of a theoretical issue. I have only once had a bag repaired under warranty (when an extender handle was stuck in place) every other one has been refused as airline damage.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: NEXUS, Avion Platinum, AMEX Platinum, Starwood, Aeroplan
Before drilling into plastics make sure you put tape (masking or duct) on the outside and inside of the material you are drilling through.

This will reduce the debris and hold the parent material together better preventing possible fracture or cracking.

Also I agree with the idea of using the Dremel tool.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:24 pm

Suggest you glue it on with 2 part epoxy. If it should come loose, at least it will have less tendency to break the case.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Not going to argue about the attachment technique, but no matter how good the riveting/fastening is, please understand that anything protruding from the case may catch against something. Your bag sees quite a bit of dragging and rubbing against various surfaces. I fear that the stamped steel and the 2 rivets will act as a claw (or fangs) and rip/crack your case.

In my travels, I've never had personal luggage tags on my bags. Are you concerned with losing it? The airline puts a fairly strong tag on the handle, then stick another bar code on the surface....

If you must have a tag, and if the case doesn't already have a plastic insert somewhere to insert your identification card/paper/label, then use one of those plastic/leather ones and attach it to the handle instead.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by pmaclell
Suggest you glue it on with 2 part epoxy. If it should come loose, at least it will have less tendency to break the case.
I'd use glue also. The tag is much more replaceable than the case.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Inside!

Always, always place identifying info on the INSIDE of your luggage!

External bag tags (destination, I.D., Prority Handling, etc) get torn off day in and day out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.