Reload this Page >

rimowa salsa air lock messed up. HELP!

Old Oct 21, 13, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 75K, Hyatt G

Hello,
I just came back from a trip and found out the lock combo on my salsa air is messed up. luggage won't open with the combo i have used for years. i need to open it urgently! any suggestion is appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 13, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Either; find a friendly local locksmith with a set of TSA keys (if your lock is a TSA one) or hope you have sensitive fingers and can pick the lock by rotating the dials one-by-one. You shouldn't need to go through all 1,000 combinations.

This is a different lock but he shows the principle very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwN3IMXJiQ4
Old Oct 21, 13, 2:34 pm

Hi Vudoosj -

This has also happened to a colleague I know who travelled on business from Germany to North America. His Rimowa case was accidentally locked when he packed, and he found that the combination had changed somehow when he arrived. Like you he could not open his case.

The simple solution was to call Rimowa in the US, using an 800 number. He was directed to take his still unopened case to an authorized Rimowa repair service nearby his hotel. His case was opened in 10 minutes, and at no charge. There was no damage found, only that he had changed his combination somehow when he packed. If I recall he said that the repair service just took the ID number from his case, probably as a charge-back courtesy to Rimowa.

Very quick, thorough, and helpful. I would suggest you do the same, and not tamper with the lock itself. If it is "messed up " meaning broken, or damaged, I'm sure you would want to have the repair service examine it anyway.

Good luck.
Old Apr 23, 14, 3:58 am

Rimowa Salsa Air faulty locks

If the lock on your Rimowa suitcase all of suddenly won't unlock, don't worry you are not going mad, and it's very unlikely you have accidentally reset the lock.

The problem?
A batch of the locks on the Salsa range were faulty - Rimowa just didn't tell anyone. I bought my Salsa Air in New York, and within 12-mths it started causing problems, it would sometimes unlock other times not. Strangely, when it randomly locked and was put away and left for a while, it could later be opened. This is what led me to realise the problem was a design flaw. Upon my most recent return to Australia from Europe the lock remained jammed shut permanently.

If you Google search this topic you will find there are loads of people who have had problems with their Rimowa suitcase locks randomly becoming stuck.

The solution!
If your Rimowa suitcase is made from plastic (polycarbonate), not aluminium, then you don't need to don't freak out. Here's what you can do. If the zippers tags connecting to the lock are plastic, simply cut the plastic zipper tags with a pair of sharp scissors. If the tags are metal, remove them with a pair of pliers. Then pull open the zip with your fingers. Remove your clothes and items. (Actually, if you look closely at the zipper tags on some of the Rimowa suitcases such as the Salsa range, you will see their little metal bases have a low profile gap, that can be widened with a small amount of force allowing the tags to be removed, so the lock actually isn't that secure - sorry to disappoint you after spending so much money on a suitcase!)

If you have a Rimowa suitcase made of aluminium, the locking system is far more secure, and you will not be able remove the zipper tags with scissors or pliers and you will need to contact a local authorized Rimowa dealer to get the suitcase opened.

Once you have remove the tags and removed your personal items, find a local Rimowa dealer (listed at rimowa.com) in your area to replace the tags - which they will do for free and in 5 minutes. They always have loads of spare Rimowa zipper tags on hand. If you are able to leave your suitcase there, they will usually be able to replace the lock for you free of charge within an hour or so. If the repairer tells you it will take 2-3 days, and you can't wait that long, find another authorised dealer.

Note - when calling the Rimowa dealer, ask them if they do the lock repairs in their shop or if they have to send the suitcase to an authorized repairer. If they do not do the repairs in their shop, find out where they send the suitcases to for repair and go directly to that repairer - it will just save you a lot of waiting time. Also make sure the repairer has stock of the tags and a replacement lock for your model suitcase.

I found a local Rimowa dealer who had stock of the tags and lock I needed (Hides Leather in Balmain, Australia). They were able to replace the lock and tags within 15 minutes, proving the actual lock replacement procedure is very quick.

The Rimowa support dealer network is brilliant - so don't freak out! Remove the tags and the rest is easy to fix.

EDIT: Please note, the only suitcases in the Rimowa range that are even close to being "secure" are the aluminium products, such as the Pilot and Topas. However with these products, it means you cannot easily remove the tags to open your suitcase if the lock becomes stuck. In this case you will need to contact a local repairer which you can find at www.rimowa.com.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Last edited by simonster66; May 10, 14 at 11:31 pm
Old Aug 10, 16, 10:44 pm

I have the largest aluminum Topas. I find the interior organizers kind of a hassle but they have a function I guess. I have three black Muji hardshell ballistic nylon cases the same size as well, which are honestly better for harder traveling, and they're cheap and if problem persist with its locks then i contact to Locksmith in Boca Raton they are very much experts and also professionals.
Old Jul 6, 17, 12:20 pm

Opened it in 2 minutes

Hey guys! The problem just happened to me! I was so scared, but then i realized that it was very easy. If your combination changed, try the number close to it. For example if your combination was 129, try 119, 120, etc. Only numbers close to it. It works very often.

Good luck guys!
Next time check if your combinations dont change
William Ndatila likes this.
Old Jul 7, 17, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by simonster66 View Post
If the lock on your Rimowa suitcase all of suddenly won't unlock, don't worry you are not going mad, and it's very unlikely you have accidentally reset the lock.

<deleted>

The solution!
If your Rimowa suitcase is made from plastic (polycarbonate), not aluminium, then you don't need to don't freak out. Here's what you can do. If the zippers tags connecting to the lock are plastic, simply cut the plastic zipper tags with a pair of sharp scissors. If the tags are metal, remove them with a pair of pliers. Then pull open the zip with your fingers. Remove your clothes and items
I know I'm replying to a three-year-old post but this sounds like a terrible idea.

(I would go with the other suggestion posted by Cristian Castillo S; just set the combination to what you thought it was, apply pressure as thought you were opening the lock and wiggle each combination wheel up and down one number at a time. It's very likely the setting is off ever-so slightly, and only one number has slipped out of place.)
Old Jul 7, 17, 10:40 am

I changed my combination on accident once, it was one number +1 or -1. Just try all these.
Old Jul 8, 17, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY+
And if thatīs not enough, spin the whole round. Itīs just few mins more.
Anyway the changes that all 3 has changed is small.
Old Sep 7, 17, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
I know I'm replying to a three-year-old post but this sounds like a terrible idea.

(I would go with the other suggestion posted by Cristian Castillo S; just set the combination to what you thought it was, apply pressure as thought you were opening the lock and wiggle each combination wheel up and down one number at a time. It's very likely the setting is off ever-so slightly, and only one number has slipped out of place.)
Hmmm the problem with your suggestion is that it only covers the situation where you know the number AND the lock is working ok. What if you have tried every possible combination and don't know the number, or the lock is screwed?

The earlier suggestion by Simonster66 of cutting the plastic tags is sensible because this is what Rimowa repairers suggest if you cannot open the suitcase and absolutely need to get in. The tags cost cents to replace so no big deal.
Old Dec 12, 17, 8:08 pm

Programs: Nil
4.02am

I bought my Rimowa Salsa four years back and used it maybe twice or three times a year. Just started my holiday and suddenly found stuck with a faulty locked. Tried my combination and still unable to open. As I am following a tour, it's quite difficult to visit a Rimowa shop and asking them to open my Rimowa bag. Truly desperate. Does Rimowa replace your bag of I have to buy a new bag now? Unhappy at the start of my holidays.
Old Dec 17, 17, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by LydiaJ View Post
I bought my Rimowa Salsa four years back and used it maybe twice or three times a year. Just started my holiday and suddenly found stuck with a faulty locked. Tried my combination and still unable to open. As I am following a tour, it's quite difficult to visit a Rimowa shop and asking them to open my Rimowa bag. Truly desperate. Does Rimowa replace your bag of I have to buy a new bag now? Unhappy at the start of my holidays.
Sorry to hear this. However, I never lock my bag because I know how to pick locks and i realise it is a waste of time locking bag. I travel all over asia and never lock a bag. If you are stuck, take a video and take an angle grinder to it to open it and claim on your travel insurance. Don't worry about a bag.
Old May 8, 19, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cristian Castillo S View Post
Hey guys! The problem just happened to me! I was so scared, but then i realized that it was very easy. If your combination changed, try the number close to it. For example if your combination was 129, try 119, 120, etc. Only numbers close to it. It works very often.

Good luck guys!
Next time check if your combinations dont change
dear Mr Castillo you are a life saver. I tried your idea and IT WORKED ! I love the Internet x

Search this Thread
Search Engine: