Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Need advice: TravelPro Make Lite or Atlantic Compass 2 spinner?

Old Aug 28, 13, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton HHonors

I'm one of those traveling consultants and I currently have a TravelPro Crew 6 22" that is pretty indestructible. I am looking at the possibility of getting a spinner to replace my 22" as my weekly carry on. I wanted to know if anyone has any particularly strong positive or negative opinions of the TravelPro Max Lite 21" spinner or the Atlantic Compass 2 21" spinner to help me make a decision.

Both bags are technically made by TravelPro but the price difference is $15, less actually if I use an end of the year clearance coupon I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 13, 9:41 pm

I checked out the full TP line at the mall and my impression was that the non-crew lines were not as rugged. Not sure if you're buying in person or online, but I suggest you lay your hands on one before buying.

Are you sure you want a spinner? They don't match my travel needs due to regular encounters with ungroomed surfaces like city sidewalks, cobblestone streets etc. I don't ever remember seeing flight crew with a spinner; perhaps it's done but certainly not the predominant mode among the pros.

I recently needed a bag for Madame Gorploaf and bought a FlightCrew4 22. It seems like an upgrade to my Crew 8 and the wheels are definitely better. It has real inline skate wheels and ABEC 5 bearings. The 8 has good bearings (but no ABEC rating) but hard plastic wheel hubs which I recently upgraded for peace of mind.

If you need a slight downsize, check out the FC4 18 or 20, unless you really want the spinner. The FC4 line seems quite competitive on price. They are heavier than some alternatives, but that is part of the tradeoff.
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
I recently bought a TravelPro Maxlite 2 20-inch spinner. Have been pleased with it so far on one airline and several car trips. It's very easy to handle on different flooring surfaces. I looked at Atlantic bags but was unimpressed, the brand seems to now be a budget line that won't hold up to frequent travel.
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:34 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
My Boyt Edge spinner converts from rolling on 4 to pulling on 2 wheels really easily so varying surfaces aren't a problem.
Old Aug 29, 13, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. The only reason to get a spinner is so I don't have to carry it down the aisle of a small plane anymore. My wife and I both have Crew 6 22" rollers and recently they made us check them in because they were too wide since it wouldn't fit in the sizer. I personally think that was crap since my 22" can't fit in the sizer when its empty.

I want the spinner since I might get another one for my wife so its easier to manage both spinners with our 2 year old. Carrying 2 Crew 6's down the aisle from the back of the plane was not fun. I would personally prefer 21" so I don't lost too much space in the process.

http://www.travelproluggageoutlet.co...type=travelpro
Old Aug 29, 13, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jvwong96 View Post
My wife and I both have Crew 6 22" rollers and recently they made us check them in because they were too wide since it wouldn't fit in the sizer. I personally think that was crap since my 22" can't fit in the sizer when its empty.
at the risk of pointing out the obvious, if it didn't fit the sizer when empty, then your bag is too big. i don't see why you'd think it was crap if they made you gate-check it.
Old Aug 29, 13, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

It is crap since I have used the same bag for 6 years with zero problem fitting it in an overhead bin and it has never fit in the sizer.
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by jvwong96 View Post
It is crap since I have used the same bag for 6 years with zero problem fitting it in an overhead bin and it has never fit in the sizer.
be that as it may, if it doesn't pass the sizer test, then it's a technicality that the airlines can point to as the basis on why you may be asked to gate-check something.

the fact that you haven't been 'called on it' before doesn''t make it crap, it just means they've been lax in enforcing their policies.
Old Aug 31, 13, 11:37 am

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I've used the Atlantic spinner you mentioned on at least 15 trips now and have been quite happy with it. No complaints so far on anything breaking down or not functioning like it did when it was new.

I've still had to gate-check it a couple times on those tiny 3-seat regional jets, but otherwise no.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: