Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Large and light Luggage?

Large and light Luggage?

Old Aug 26, 13, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Large and light Luggage?

Hi all,

Im new here, I just got a new job that involve a lot of traveling.

My work term are usually 20 days straight in Alberta. Im looking for a Large luggage (I need to bring work boots/work clothes ect.)

My airline limits are 62" and 50lbs. Im looking to maximize my space while staying under 62 linear inch..

I got my eyes on the ebags motherlode 29" but with shipping and everything im looking at close to 300$. (I live in Canada) I dont really want to spend that much on a luggage.

Do you guys know any other comparable bags out there?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 13, 9:31 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Think Canadian: Unused hockey bag with roller wheels.

As a Cnadian you would know why used hockey bags are not reused for other purposes.
Old Aug 27, 13, 2:46 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
... And welcome to FT ^
Old Aug 27, 13, 2:21 pm

I had found some nice wheeled duffels at Ross and TJ Maxx for my kids at excellent prices. Are there similar stores up there?
Old Aug 27, 13, 5:07 pm

Are you always going to the same place in Alberta? If so, could you leave some of the work boots and clothes there instead of lugging them back and forth?

I caught an eBags duffel on sale and am very happy with how well it packs and moves, even when full. It is a nice bag.
Old Aug 27, 13, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Hockey bag are almost all larger than the 62" limits. I know a lot of the guys sill use them and dont get too bothered at the airport but you never know.

and yes Im always in the same spot and I can use storage for my turnaround but still need a bag to leave my stuff in.
Old Aug 27, 13, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
What is your price range?

Do you need something with a frame/wheels or would a large duffel suffice (the frame/wheels add a significant amount of weight)?

How durable does the piece need to be? The more "bomb-proof," the heavier it usually is.
Old Aug 27, 13, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

im trying to keep it around 100$ but would prob go to 200$ for the right bag.

I would rather have some wheels and as for how durable.. Well the bag is only gonna see an airplane maybe twice a year as for the rest of the time it will be in storage in camp. but I would still like something decent.
Old Aug 27, 13, 8:35 pm

polycarbonate costco kirkland spinner may be an option unless you need to drag it on uneven surfaces a lot...
Old Aug 27, 13, 8:40 pm

Im going to agree with hockey bag statement.
And your actually in luck I just saw one on sale this weekend at Canadian tire (not shown on the website for some reason) for about $35 (on sale till sept 5) Its a blue Team Canada bag, its dimensions are maybe 1 inch over (if I recall) and comes in at 6.5 pounds. I have a similar bag, and its good, never had an issue with the airlines, as long as you dont stuff it to the max (which is hard because of the weight restrictions). Great bag for large items.

Also another option are the rolling duffles at Eddie Bauer

Also the Samsonite Drop-Bottom when its on sale http://www.sears.ca/product/samsonit...491-46229-1062

check out amazon.ca and do searches for the Olympia Rollling Duffle, Rockland PRD330 Luggage Rolling Duffle Bag , and FUL 8023DFRRED FUL 30 in. Tour Manager 30

congrats on the new job!
Old Aug 27, 13, 9:50 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by pattheriault View Post
Hockey bag are almost all larger than the 62" limits. I know a lot of the guys sill use them and dont get too bothered at the airport but you never know.

and yes Im always in the same spot and I can use storage for my turnaround but still need a bag to leave my stuff in.
Originally Posted by simba8 View Post
Im going to agree with hockey bag statement.
And your actually in luck I just saw one on sale this weekend at Canadian tire (not shown on the website for some reason) for about $35 (on sale till sept 5) Its a blue Team Canada bag, its dimensions are maybe 1 inch over (if I recall) and comes in at 6.5 pounds. I have a similar bag, and its good, never had an issue with the airlines, as long as you dont stuff it to the max (which is hard because of the weight restrictions). Great bag for large items.

Also another option are the rolling duffles at Eddie Bauer

Also the Samsonite Drop-Bottom when its on sale http://www.sears.ca/product/samsonit...491-46229-1062

check out amazon.ca and do searches for the Olympia Rollling Duffle, Rockland PRD330 Luggage Rolling Duffle Bag , and FUL 8023DFRRED FUL 30 in. Tour Manager 30

congrats on the new job!
The trick to airline checking hockey bags is don't fill it up full. Most adult bags will be well over 62 when full.

Never a problem even with ice hockey ignorant airlines.
Old Aug 27, 13, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
The hockey bags definitely sound like a good route to go, especially given the prices quoted above.

I am personally partial to the REI Beast Duffel, but it's significantly more expensive. Warranty is fantastic though. Link: http://www.rei.com/product/846053/re...eled-duffel-28
Old Aug 28, 13, 6:20 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Large and light Luggage?

look at RedOxx Aviator duffels. inexpensive, very light, sturdy, easy to store. no wheels but we usually pair one with a rolling bag and put the RedOxx on top.
Old Aug 29, 13, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys! will look into these option
Old Aug 31, 13, 11:33 am

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
Delsey makes the lightest inexpensive luggage that'll actually last a while. But a rolling duffle doesn't have many break points because of the simplicity, so that can be a good choice. I've stuffed an incredible amount into this Eagle Creek No Matter What rolling duffle. It lists for $140 in the large size, so you should be able to find it well under $200 with shipping even.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: