My Slim Fold Wallet Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Slim Fold Wallet Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Good to see its working out for some of you. Given that this potentially great wallet was a fail for me, I ordered the big skinny Leather Hybrid Bifold and expect it later this week or early next. Maybe I'll post a review of this one too
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:20 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
The only card that falls out for me is the CSP because it is thick and heavy.

Debit/CSP/SPG + ID + Gate key

I use 1 card per outward facing pockets (total 3 cards) and I slide my gate key behind my ID in the open ID slot.

I've had it for a while... I use it double folded, so it is about the size of just one credit card, as thick as my 5S.

I don't like the NEW version because it is too tall, I can not use it in the same pocket as a 5S for example; it becomes wider than the phone.

Last edited by caGALINDO; Dec 13, 2013 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:53 am

I have been very happy with my new Big Skinny leather hybrid wallet. I pared down my credit card selection and along with the Big Skinny ny wallet is now 50% thinner My butt is very happy.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:48 pm

Allett Wallet?

Hi there. I read your Slimfold review and it sounds like you would really like the Allett Nylon Original Wallet. It's a similar design to Slimfold because it holds 4-24 cards and has two cash pockets, but they last for 10 years and your cards won't slide out because the pockets are reinforced with a rubber grip. We've been in business since 1995 and we manufacture in San Diego, California. I own the company and I'd be happy to send you a wallet to try out. I love seeing reviews of products that are updated over time. I've always wondered how the Slimfold holds up and I enjoyed reading your review of the product. Anyway, if you'd like to take one of my wallets for a ride, I'd be much obliged.
Thanks and Cheers.
Bridget
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I've owned a number of Allet wallets over the years and have liked them. They don't wear out, I just lose them
_bridge likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:54 am

Awesome! Glad you like them. If you ever come down to San Diego, come visit our factory and see them being made. I'd love to show you around
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:06 am
Suspended

I think this kind of wallet easy to carry every time and I often to use folded wallet.
_bridge likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I clicked on this thread to recommend the Allett wallets. They have both leather and nylon styles. I have their leather one and it has been great for almost a year now.
_bridge likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:36 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by Putnik
I clicked on this thread to recommend the Allett wallets. They have both leather and nylon styles. I have their leather one and it has been great for almost a year now.
+1. My travel setup based on Allett wallets is the following:
  • Home everyday wallet, their sport/international model, fits home shop cards and a bit of cash and business cards and a bit more, and receipts, and very thin and small. This is the only thing I carry when at home.
  • Travel wallet, their old sport/international model (a bit wider to fit bigger paper money). This holds my most common travel related cards e.g. travel insurance and emergency EUR 50 and USD 100 bills, and photocopy of passport, etc. When I go on a trip, I move only a few items, my usual credit cards and drivers license to this wallet from the everyday one and add any relevant foreign currency if I have some left over from last trip.
  • Passport wallet which contains passport (duh), an additional backup credit card and a few status/travel related cards, and additional emergency cash in EUR and USD (my policy is that I always want to have enough cash for "taxi to the airport", so if anything happens, I can start my journey towards home).
  • One more standard wallet to keep all the other cards I have, it fits plenty, and stays at home. I keep this at home, just pick up some card (e.g. model rocket club membership card ;-) when needed especially.
By keeping a separate home and travel wallet, it is super quick to move just a few cards and I'm ready to go, keeping the other home/travel related things in each wallet all the time. The passport wallet nicely holds passport and organizes secondary cards.

The Allett wallets keep the cards in safely, as the card pockets open inwards, i.e. when the wallett is folded closed the cards are safely held inside, and in the last few years models a rubbery grippy thing keeps the cards from falling out when the wallet is open for use.

I find the "piles of cards" storage method to work well, you can access 2 cards super quick without looking (top and bottom cards in each pile) and other cards you can slide out with little more effort. So even with the small wallet, 4 cards are super quick to access (2 piles, bottom and top) and fits 4+ more cards.

Note: I'm just a happy customer, since 2007, no other connection to the company. The wallets are very durable, I replaced some of them after 8-10 years and hundreds of thousands of miles in the air, mostly due to looking a little worn out, they still held together well. I only wish they would bring back the slightly taller "sport/internationsl travel wallet" version which fits the bigger paper notes of other countries (should fit at least EUR 50 with some margin), the sport/pocket wallet model today seems to be designed for narrow US paper money.

Bonus: The pocket wallet has a narrow place at the top which fits a small pen (you can get the pen from them), to also carry a pen with me always (can you say filling in a landing card or car rental form ;–). The bigger wallet can also accommodate a thin pen in the center fold inside area.

Last edited by haa; Apr 6, 2019 at 11:38 am Reason: typo and grammar fixes
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I happened upon this thread, figured I'd toss my two cents in: I got one of the Magpul bifolds a few months ago, and am really loving the minimalist, slim wallet. My son has had one of the super small ones for a couple years, it's great but too small for me. When they came out with the bifold, though, I was in:

https://www.magpul.com/products/magp...-bifold-wallet
RF welded polymer - It's not going to stain or have liquid damage, very light. Space for maybe 8 cards, cash, etc. Texture is a little grabby so it won't slide out of a pocket, as opposed to the burnished (if that's the right word) feel that leather gets over time where it's all slippery.
I switched from my old leather one right before a trip to Amsterdam, and had humorous moments the whole trip "WHERE'D MY WALLET GO?" and there it was in the pocket. So light and small compared to my old one.
Worth checking out.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, BA Prem/LG, AA CK, UA GS, Marriott Ambassador
I’ve been using the Tom Bihn “Nik’s Minimalist Wallet” (version 3) for a couple of months now and am very happy with it. Shows no signs of wear and tear.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by haa
The Allett wallets keep the cards in safely, as the card pockets open inwards, i.e. when the wallet is folded closed the cards are safely held inside, and in the last few years added a rubbery grippy thing to the card pockets to keep the cards from falling out when the wallet is open for use.
Wow! You win the best customer award! Thank you and thanks for your post. The point you mentioned here is key. The card pockets facing inward and the grip inside the card pockets really do wonders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.