Moving to NYC

Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Moving to NYC

Hey guys, I'm moving to NYC for college from the west coast but I have a couple questions. Ill be flying over and will be taking just my clothes and a few needed items, but I was wondering if you guys have any storage solutions? Im flying southwest and able to get two checked bags for free. Willing to pay for more. My space in NYC is pretty small so I dont want to take a suitcase, do you guys have any ideas for anything disposable that I can store my clothes just for the flight? I was even thinking of just a couple cardboard boxes. I would love any ideas you guys have.

If not, is checking a cardboard box ok?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:04 pm

Airlines will take cardboard boxes just fine. Helped my girlfriend move to NY the same way.

If you're looking to bring boxes in excess of your free baggage allowance, just get it shipped UPS Ground (or equivalent). Slightly more expensive but saves you the effort of lugging it into taxis.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:25 pm

i'd use 2 large laundry sacks for checked baggage. if you want to secure them, you can use a cable lock.They fold down to take up minimal closet space and you can use them to bring stuff back.

cardboard boxes are much more unwieldy given the same volume space.

Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
Hey guys, I'm moving to NYC for college from the west coast but I have a couple questions. Ill be flying over and will be taking just my clothes and a few needed items, but I was wondering if you guys have any storage solutions? Im flying southwest and able to get two checked bags for free. Willing to pay for more. My space in NYC is pretty small so I dont want to take a suitcase, do you guys have any ideas for anything disposable that I can store my clothes just for the flight? I was even thinking of just a couple cardboard boxes. I would love any ideas you guys have.

Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Filmbuff
i'd use 2 large laundry sacks for checked baggage. if you want to secure them, you can use a cable lock.They fold down to take up minimal closet space and you can use them to bring stuff back.

cardboard boxes are much more unwieldy given the same volume space.
Hardly. Airlines have posted maximum dimensions for checked luggage. Basic math would indicate that the most space would be provided by a cubed box, not a round-ish laundry sack that approximates-ish those dimensions.

Also, we're talking cardboard boxes worth $3 each from your local moving store. Who cares about storing them in NYC to reuse for a later move?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Maybe he meant something like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Plas.../dp/B008JD1C98

These types of bags are brilliant (I have no experience of these in particular). Hard-wearing, long-lasting and versatile. You can even use them in your new space to store extra clothes & towels, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take nothing. (except tons of cash)

Welcome to FT.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can get cardboard box suitcases at the UPS store that are just like suitcases, only cardboard.

And places like uline.com sell boxes in pretty much every known dimension to mankind, though you may have to buy a dozen of them.

However, I would recommend something like a duffle bag, where you can get lots of stuff in them but they take up no space what so ever to store.

Second the recomendation to ship stuff instead of pay the airline to transport it, and remember, if the stuff in the box is not worth what it costs to ship it, then you may be better off leaving it and buying more stuff when you get to New York.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:49 am

i said that boxes are more unwieldy and they are generally. once you involve boxes, it's a two-handed operation and you almost have to use a luggage cart or handler. a laundry sack can be slung over the shoulder and it's much easier to navigate through airports, luggage carousels and transport from the airport to his final destination.

the volume isn't a primary consideration here, i think ease of transport is and the extra plus is that the sacks are reusable and take up minimal storage space.

[edit] saw the cardboard suitcases after my post. too bad! pricey though - the large suitcase is ~$18.

Originally Posted by Coolers
Hardly. Airlines have posted maximum dimensions for checked luggage. Basic math would indicate that the most space would be provided by a cubed box, not a round-ish laundry sack that approximates-ish those dimensions.

Also, we're talking cardboard boxes worth $3 each from your local moving store. Who cares about storing them in NYC to reuse for a later move?

Last edited by Filmbuff; Aug 8, 2013 at 7:59 am
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I agree with the comments that it makes sense to stuff your belongings into a duffle bag, rucksack, or something similar. They take up very little space and are still functional. Of course, you may eventually need a suitcase and you can always store items in there, also. A standard 21" carryon wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand at some point.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Moving to NYC

buy some RedOxx aviator duffels. they are inexpensive/great value, sturdy, hold a ton (I'm in Italy right now with a number of pieces) and store in a Manhattan apartment easily. I always keep a number at our NYC pied a terre.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by snowboardpunk

Get inexpensive duffle bag size needed then ship via UPS or FedEx
or take with you on the plane...

http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=duffell
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
You can get cardboard box suitcases at the UPS store that are just like suitcases, only cardboard.

And places like uline.com sell boxes in pretty much every known dimension to mankind, though you may have to buy a dozen of them.

However, I would recommend something like a duffle bag, where you can get lots of stuff in them but they take up no space what so ever to store.

Second the recomendation to ship stuff instead of pay the airline to transport it, and remember, if the stuff in the box is not worth what it costs to ship it, then you may be better off leaving it and buying more stuff when you get to New York.
omg that is perfectly what I wanted. Except it is a little pricey. I only need two boxes since I get two check items for free.

The only things I will be taking are close and will dispose of boxes once I get there.

My friend is picking me up, so I dont have to worry about cabs and such.

I do have a large duffel for my carry on, it cost me a couple hundred. I would just throw away the duffels, since those are pretty ugly. So I'll probably stick to the boxes.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Fyi, those luggage boxes are reusable. Wouldn't be difficult to find someone willing to pay $5-$10 each (depending on the size) for a used box in good condition. Or you could always just unfold the boxes and keep them under your bed for the next time you may need them.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
I would also use vacuum seal storage bags like Space Saver to compress the clothes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.