Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Wide-Body Carryon's

Wide-Body Carryon's

Old May 16, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Wide-Body Carryon's

For anyone who has traveled over the last couple of years with the new wide-body carryon's (usually 20x16x9) versus a traditional 22x14x9. What has been your experience with them? Do you ever have issues carrying them on board? Are they easier for Domestic U.S. versus Int'l flights out of the U.S.?

I know that most of the major brands (i.e. Tumi, Briggs & Riley, Victorinox, Rimowa) all make these new wide-body models but I am very hesitant based on the unusual shape/dimensions.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree - anyone's information on these would be useful.

Costco seem to have a Tumi T-Tech 20" (but wide) carry-on in US stores at the moment for $169, and while it seems to me like a great deal, it does certainly look at feel perhaps a little wide - especially compared to the Kirkland 20" on the same aisle.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Thanks for asking this question. I too would like to know what people think
Old May 16, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I simply wouldn't want to wonder with every flight, "Are they going to force me to check my bag?" and have to possibly re-shuffle items on an airport floor.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:52 pm

If you have to walk back into coach I find that even a 14" wide normal roller will sometimes be difficult to maneuver and slam into the knees or seats of my fellow pax. Based on that experience I'd never choose a widebody bag.

I do have a rolling triple fold 20" wide garment bag by Andiamo Valoroso. Splendid bag. Looks super chic, packs very well. Royal PITA because it doesn't roll easily in narrow spaces. Sure, 20" wide is extreme but it just goes to show that widebody is not an answer to a problem but a problem looking for an answer.

Till
Old May 22, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: BD Gold,KLM Gold,Virgin Silver,Accor Platinum,Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold
I have a B&R wheeled carry-on garment bag which is the wide format. I travel widely in the UK, Europe, US and to a lesser extent in Asia and have never had any problem with getting it on planes. I tend to be business class on long haul but always coach in-country and within Europe.

Only issues are if they have trolley restricting barriers at tops of moving stairs then it won't fit through and has to be dragged sideways and it won't wheel down Aisles on planes so have to carry.

But otherwise good bag - use it for a two week trip to US - need to use laundry in hotel as well !
Old May 22, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I've got a B&R widebody that I love. Didn't have any trouble getting it on board and into a Lufthansa plane from FCO to FRA (my only intra-Europe experience, but I'll have some more in July). Been on many planes in the US, from RJs (where it gets gate checked) up to widebodies. Never had any trouble getting it any overhead bin. Because it is a widebody, squeezing it into "left over overhead space" near the end of boarding could be an issue I suppose (as compared to narrower bags) but we all board early anyways, right Also worked just fine on various trains in Europe (Eurostar, TGV, and Italy).

As far as getting it down the aisle, I never roll mine (didn't even when I had a standard width). Too much hassle and it inevitably catches on something or someone no matter what I do, especially when the laptop bag is on top. I always collapse the handle just prior to getting to the door and carry it by the top handle, perpendicular to my body in front to me. Nice and speedy and makes for an easy push into the bin and getting out of the aisle so others can board and we can leave. Reverse the process for getting off the plane. It always annoys me (maybe I'm a bit crazy) to see people attempting to navigate their bag down the aisle and completely messing it up. Catching on something every three rows and then needing to back up and start again. And then standing in the aisle as the slowly unpack their pile to put it all away. I'm all about efficiency
Old May 23, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA; LH; AF
I've had a Tumi widebody for a few years now, and am 100% satisfied with the dimensions. It gets used weekly around the EU and EU to Latin America, so a mixture of small airbus and EMB's in LatAm (Taca, Copa, Lan); the usual suspects over the Atlantic (on BA, IB, AF, LH, LAN).
Some issues from time to time (Taca mainly), but always relating to the weight of the bag (I hate checking bags and will tend to do 2-3 weeks with this thing as carry-on) - I think the wider format makes it look bigger than other bags so people ask to check the weight, but once I get past that, it fits nicely in the overheads.
On some EMBs it has to go on the DEF side of the plane or get checked at the gate; on 767s (LAN, Delta) and some of the larger airbus (IB, AF) it has to go sideways into the overhead rather than wheels in, and I tend to carry along the aisle so as not to snag along the way.
I had a 22" Travelpro (standard width), which I found just too long and tough to pack shoes into (UK size 12) along with everything else. That got loaned to a friend, never to be seen again, and I picked up the Tumi in Heathrow after giving the shop assistant a very hard time to check that it would indeed fit in the carry-on sizing frame...

RP
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:32 am

Was debating between a Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid carry on and a Tumi T-Tech Network carry on. Visited the Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur, showroom of Rimowa and Tumi. The Rimowa sales personnel are definitely more professional and knowledgeable . The Tumi sales person did not have a scale to weigh the carry on. When asked about the weight, she gave me a blank stare. Asked her to check the info in the luggage, and she tells me that there is none. Shocked by the very poor Tumi staff. Very incompetent Tumi staff which reflects badly on their product. Makes it sort of SECOND CLASS product.

Finally bought the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid . Definitely a first class product with well trained and competent staff as compared to Tumi. High time Tumi improves the quality of their staff.Otherwise Tumi will always remain a second fiddle to Rimowa.
michaelvernon is online now Alert a moderator to this post
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by michaelvernon
michaelvernon is online now Alert a moderator to this post
Good to know.

(Please don't post your message in more than. Even if it's the most important message ever it will just split the discussion).
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:09 am
Suspended

I have a B&R widebody that I like a lot. I've never had a problem with a GA or getting it aboard if not on a Barbiejet. I carry it down the aisle of the aircraft; I hate it when people "have" to roll their bags and don't give a sh!t if it bangs into me on their way back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.