Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage sizing -- how is it measured?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Luggage sizing -- how is it measured?

How exactly is luggage measured when you see the size classification? I see luggage that is advertised as 20", 22", 26", 28", etc. etc. What exact dimension is this? Is it how tall/long it is? (the longest dimension). Is it a diagonal "corner to corner" measurement? (like a TV)
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
It's the longest dimension indeed. The diagonal wouldn't work -- for carry-on you need to be able to put it in a sizer (theoretically) and for everything you need the sum to get linear inches.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
How exactly is luggage measured when you see the size classification?
you're an AA EXP and you're asking this question?! unless you exclusively travel with just a briefcase/backpack/personal tote, it's almost unfathomable to me how you could not know this.

most curious!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filmbuff
you're an AA EXP and you're asking this question?! unless you exclusively travel with just a briefcase/backpack/personal tote, it's almost unfathomable to me how you could not know this.

most curious!

yes.

I don't check a bag too often and I bought my bag years ago. Normally, I just care about weight as that's the only thing anyone has really actually measured before. But someone asked me what size my bag was and I wasn't quite sure how to answer. I think that for TATL flights, the actual dimensions come into play.

For the record, my bag measures just a bit over 26" inches in its longest dimension. So, I guess it's either a 26" or a 27". A friend bought a bag she described as a 28" bag, so I wanted to have an idea of how big it was compared to mine.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Filmbuff

most curious!
sounds like you have 1.0bags. we have 4 huge maxis, 2 that barely fit inside those, and 2 more tha fit inside the second set. we also have 4 old samsonite for wine, and a few odds and ends in the basement. for carryons, between me and the wife we have 5 or 6.

she is now trying a backpack, but if she hits me with it one more time, she's going to be checking to see if it also contains a parachute.

you really know the 3 dimension total of all your bags? i know the big ones only.66". one of the reasons i probably do not know is that i hate AA, and never fly AA if something else(anything) is available.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
sounds like you have 1.0bags. we have 4 huge maxis, 2 that barely fit inside those, and 2 more tha fit inside the second set. we also have 4 old samsonite for wine, and a few odds and ends in the basement. for carryons, between me and the wife we have 5 or 6.

she is now trying a backpack, but if she hits me with it one more time, she's going to be checking to see if it also contains a parachute.

you really know the 3 dimension total of all your bags? i know the big ones only.66". one of the reasons i probably do not know is that i hate AA, and never fly AA if something else(anything) is available.
AAMOF, i actually do know the general sizes of my luggage. but that is not what the OP was asking - he was asking how is luggage measured?

being that the answer doesn't really require much of a technical background and much can be gleaned from observance and a modicum of general knowledge that most frequent flyers would pick up along the way (such as knowing the general maximum carryon size from seeing a baggage sizer), i was a bit surprised...yes.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

My carry on bag is a duffel bag. It always fits. Even in a little RJ.. I've never ever put it in a sizer, nor have I really ever seen any gate agent force someone to do so or bust out a tape measure and actually measure it. The supposed "max size" is meaningless because I am sure people consistently and regularly exceed whatever so called "rule" is in place. At least, this is my experience on domestic USA flights. But I have not taken a flight to Europe and was concerned they were more strict.

Really, I wasn't sure if it was measured across the diagonal like a TV or of it was how long/high it was.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Really, I wasn't sure if it was measured across the diagonal like a TV or of it was how long/high it was.
And it was a fair question (as said before, it's the height).

I'd just like to add that different manufacturers will measure slightly differently. Some measure only the main compartment, so a handle on top might add another half-inch, and the wheels maybe another inch.

This can catch some people out so it's important to take a tape measure with you when out shopping.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:34 pm

Hi

I actually have this same question and after reading through the thread just want to clarify a few things. First off NeverFirst above indicated different companies measure differently so to clear this up we are replacing a Samsonite checked size hardside suitcase as unsure if Samsonite measures from ground up or just the compartment area.

That explained how do I measure for this Samsonite suitcase so we can replace it with the same size. Is Samsonite measuring from the ground to the top of the handle meaning it's about a 30" is it just the main compartment area which would put it around 28"

Edit: Also we are considering a Calvin Klein bag to replace the Samsonite with and how does CK measure their bags? Specifically this is the bag here which says it's a 28" bag

Can't post link yet being a new member here is the bag we are considering just google the text below to pull it up if you need to see what bag we are considering and how it would be measured!

Calvin Klein Rome 28" Upright Hardsided Spinner

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by The Last Frontier; Dec 13, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.