Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Men's Leather Briefcase Recommendation

Men's Leather Briefcase Recommendation

Reply

Old Jul 6, 13, 11:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA, Illinois
Posts: 3
Smile Men's Leather Briefcase Recommendation

Hello fellow travelers,

It's time for me to get a new case, and I've narrowed my search to Maxwell Scott, Briggs & Riley, Saddlebags, Tumi. My preference is leather, for personal reasons. Based on the posts on this site, I gravitated to the Tumi Alpha, and am about to settle on Tumi's 96160 - Large Expandable Leather Organizer.

I am wondering what, in the above models everyone else is using and how they are satisfied with them. I've heard a few posts that leather doesn't hold up as well as ballistic nylon, which is not really a factor for me - as I am purposefully going for the leather which in my opinion is much more professional looking. No offense to anyone on their choice of material - it's a personal decision of course.

I'd love to hear what everyone is using out there.

Regards
John

TrekJohnC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 13, 4:47 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8
For leather cases take a look at Jack Georges. I bought a belting leather case years ago that held up well. I remember choosing it over the Tumi back then, it just seemed more durable. They also have more contemporary leather styles, including wheelers.
lightandair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:02 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA, Illinois
Posts: 3
Thanks light
TrekJohnC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:26 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 41,060
Originally Posted by TrekJohnC View Post
Thanks light
Depending on price, Glaser Designs. Another option to consider is ballistic/leather hybrid such as the cargo bags from www.sfbags.com. Stunning quality. I have numerous bags by them including the large cargo with brown leather flap
GadgetFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 13, 8:22 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, ICN, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,335
Mine is a 20 yrs old Bally(the shoe people) bought at an outlet. Excellent leather and workmanship. I do not use it everyday but haul it out when the meeting requires it.

IMHO it is better to buy this from one of the outfit who specializes in leather work as opposed to a luggage outfit that subcontract their works out.
tentseller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 13, 7:52 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My existence is what matters
Programs: CX, NZ
Posts: 466
Not sure if you are strictly for those few options only. This is the leather briefcase I have been using in office and on the road -http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c6622/6160/moreviews/

When I decided to buy this two years ago I was projecting to use it for the next couple of decades. I like that the briefcase is still solid, the leather keeps its shade well and the compartments fit my business needs (e.g. I can put in my lunch box w/o making it look bulky).
KeepDiscovering is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 13, 12:18 pm
  #7  
Yub
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SNA/LAX
Posts: 360
Originally Posted by lightandair View Post
For leather cases take a look at Jack Georges. I bought a belting leather case years ago that held up well. I remember choosing it over the Tumi back then, it just seemed more durable. They also have more contemporary leather styles, including wheelers.
I was at the Costco in Irvine, CA yesterday and saw that they had Jack Georges as a special event through July 14. Los Feliz, CA will have it July 19-28. These are the only stores in the LA region to get this event in July. It looks like only 1-4 stores in each region are hosting this roadshow.

The Costco.com website also carries a Jack Georges briefcase and a briefbag in black and brown at about a 45% discount compared to the Jack Georges website.

Last edited by Yub; Jul 11, 13 at 12:28 pm
Yub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 13, 4:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BUR
Posts: 756
Is Jack Georges a good bag maker or good laptop case maker? I ask because their website still has photos of the interior of the bag packed with a wallet, Motorola Startec phone and a couple of CD ROM cases. The last time I carried a CD ROM of any kind must be about 5 years ago. Also the example laptop they are using for the photo shot must have been one of those thick ones from eons ago. Not sure what I'd do with only an ultrabook in there.

I'll check it out at the Los Feliz Costco and report back.
Mellonc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 13, 7:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Mellonc View Post
Is Jack Georges a good bag maker or good laptop case maker? I ask because their website still has photos of the interior of the bag packed with a wallet, Motorola Startec phone and a couple of CD ROM cases. The last time I carried a CD ROM of any kind must be about 5 years ago. Also the example laptop they are using for the photo shot must have been one of those thick ones from eons ago. Not sure what I'd do with only an ultrabook in there.

I'll check it out at the Los Feliz Costco and report back.
Good leather goods. At least they were some fifteen years ago when I bought a case from them rather than Tumi. Which was before I even had a laptop. I'd have more confidence in a solid old-school leather manufacturer with second-rate marketing skills, than an up-to-date website where the leatherwork is a sideline. But let us know what you find out.
lightandair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 13, 2:32 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My existence is what matters
Programs: CX, NZ
Posts: 466
Originally Posted by Yub View Post
I was at the Costco in Irvine, CA yesterday and saw that they had Jack Georges as a special event through July 14. Los Feliz, CA will have it July 19-28. These are the only stores in the LA region to get this event in July. It looks like only 1-4 stores in each region are hosting this roadshow.

The Costco.com website also carries a Jack Georges briefcase and a briefbag in black and brown at about a 45% discount compared to the Jack Georges website.
Just had a look at Jack Georges' website and found some quite stylist wheeled cases and carry-on. The briefcases are quite old-fashioned though.
KeepDiscovering is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 13, 12:47 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DFW, Texas
Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 67
I have been using a Saddleback large thin briefcase for nearly 2 years and love it. It's heavier than others because of the materials and quality, but works really well for me both when in town and on the road. FWIW, mine is chestnut.
camjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 13, 8:19 am
  #12  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Posts: 1,068
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Depending on price, Glaser Designs.
+1

I bought mine January 2011 and love it! The people at Glaser are easy to work with, and will basically customize one of their bags to meet your needs.
wolf539 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 13, 8:48 am
  #13  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Posts: 1,068
Originally Posted by wolf539 View Post
I bought mine January 2011 and love it! The people at Glaser...
Well after more frequent use I have to say I no longer "love it". In fact I just sold it.

I'm currently in the market for a new briefcase and leaning towards Frank Clegg. Thoughts, suggestions...?

Last edited by wolf539; Dec 23, 13 at 8:54 am
wolf539 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 13, 9:57 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 41,060
Originally Posted by wolf539 View Post
Well after more frequent use I have to say I no longer "love it". In fact I just sold it.

I'm currently in the market for a new briefcase and leaning towards Frank Clegg. Thoughts, suggestions...?
Veeeery, curious as to why?
GadgetFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 13, 11:28 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CMH
Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Posts: 69
Can't speak to the leather version's durability, but I have loved the internal organization on the Tumi 96160's slightly smaller nylon cousin (the 26141). Bag easily carries a laptop, a three inch three ring binder, an iPad and a host of other work stuff. Only downside I have found to that bag is it very easy for the bag to carry far more weight than is comfortable to carry on the shoulder with the factory Tumi strap. I eventually decided to give up a little in the looks department and switched out the factory strap for the far more useful Tom Bihn absolute strap.
lostinohio is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread