FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Men's Leather Briefcase Recommendation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1482649-mens-leather-briefcase-recommendation.html)

TrekJohnC Jul 6, 2013 11:08 am

Men's Leather Briefcase Recommendation

Hello fellow travelers,

It's time for me to get a new case, and I've narrowed my search to Maxwell Scott, Briggs & Riley, Saddlebags, Tumi. My preference is leather, for personal reasons. Based on the posts on this site, I gravitated to the Tumi Alpha, and am about to settle on Tumi's 96160 - Large Expandable Leather Organizer.

I am wondering what, in the above models everyone else is using and how they are satisfied with them. I've heard a few posts that leather doesn't hold up as well as ballistic nylon, which is not really a factor for me - as I am purposefully going for the leather which in my opinion is much more professional looking. No offense to anyone on their choice of material - it's a personal decision of course.

I'd love to hear what everyone is using out there. :):):)

Regards
John

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Travel/g..._130410_wg.jpg

lightandair Jul 6, 2013 4:47 pm

For leather cases take a look at Jack Georges. I bought a belting leather case years ago that held up well. I remember choosing it over the Tumi back then, it just seemed more durable. They also have more contemporary leather styles, including wheelers.

TrekJohnC Jul 6, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks light

GadgetFreak Jul 6, 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by TrekJohnC (Post 21053110)
Thanks light

Depending on price, Glaser Designs. Another option to consider is ballistic/leather hybrid such as the cargo bags from www.sfbags.com. Stunning quality. I have numerous bags by them including the large cargo with brown leather flap

tentseller Jul 7, 2013 8:22 am

Mine is a 20 yrs old Bally(the shoe people) bought at an outlet. Excellent leather and workmanship. I do not use it everyday but haul it out when the meeting requires it.

IMHO it is better to buy this from one of the outfit who specializes in leather work as opposed to a luggage outfit that subcontract their works out.

KeepDiscovering Jul 7, 2013 7:52 pm

Not sure if you are strictly for those few options only. This is the leather briefcase I have been using in office and on the road -http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c6622/6160/moreviews/

When I decided to buy this two years ago I was projecting to use it for the next couple of decades. I like that the briefcase is still solid, the leather keeps its shade well and the compartments fit my business needs (e.g. I can put in my lunch box w/o making it look bulky).

Yub Jul 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by lightandair (Post 21051817)
For leather cases take a look at Jack Georges. I bought a belting leather case years ago that held up well. I remember choosing it over the Tumi back then, it just seemed more durable. They also have more contemporary leather styles, including wheelers.

I was at the Costco in Irvine, CA yesterday and saw that they had Jack Georges as a special event through July 14. Los Feliz, CA will have it July 19-28. These are the only stores in the LA region to get this event in July. It looks like only 1-4 stores in each region are hosting this roadshow.

The Costco.com website also carries a Jack Georges briefcase and a briefbag in black and brown at about a 45% discount compared to the Jack Georges website.

Mellonc Jul 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Is Jack Georges a good bag maker or good laptop case maker? I ask because their website still has photos of the interior of the bag packed with a wallet, Motorola Startec phone and a couple of CD ROM cases. The last time I carried a CD ROM of any kind must be about 5 years ago. Also the example laptop they are using for the photo shot must have been one of those thick ones from eons ago. Not sure what I'd do with only an ultrabook in there.

I'll check it out at the Los Feliz Costco and report back.

lightandair Jul 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc (Post 21081245)
Is Jack Georges a good bag maker or good laptop case maker? I ask because their website still has photos of the interior of the bag packed with a wallet, Motorola Startec phone and a couple of CD ROM cases. The last time I carried a CD ROM of any kind must be about 5 years ago. Also the example laptop they are using for the photo shot must have been one of those thick ones from eons ago. Not sure what I'd do with only an ultrabook in there.

I'll check it out at the Los Feliz Costco and report back.

Good leather goods. At least they were some fifteen years ago when I bought a case from them rather than Tumi. Which was before I even had a laptop. I'd have more confidence in a solid old-school leather manufacturer with second-rate marketing skills, than an up-to-date website where the leatherwork is a sideline. But let us know what you find out.

KeepDiscovering Jul 12, 2013 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Yub (Post 21079900)
I was at the Costco in Irvine, CA yesterday and saw that they had Jack Georges as a special event through July 14. Los Feliz, CA will have it July 19-28. These are the only stores in the LA region to get this event in July. It looks like only 1-4 stores in each region are hosting this roadshow.

The Costco.com website also carries a Jack Georges briefcase and a briefbag in black and brown at about a 45% discount compared to the Jack Georges website.

Just had a look at Jack Georges' website and found some quite stylist wheeled cases and carry-on. The briefcases are quite old-fashioned though.

camjr Jul 28, 2013 12:47 pm

I have been using a Saddleback large thin briefcase for nearly 2 years and love it. It's heavier than others because of the materials and quality, but works really well for me both when in town and on the road. FWIW, mine is chestnut.

wolf539 Jul 29, 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 21053190)
Depending on price, Glaser Designs.

+1

I bought mine January 2011 and love it! The people at Glaser are easy to work with, and will basically customize one of their bags to meet your needs.

wolf539 Dec 23, 2013 8:48 am

Originally Posted by wolf539 (Post 21175878)
I bought mine January 2011 and love it! The people at Glaser...

Well after more frequent use I have to say I no longer "love it". In fact I just sold it.

I'm currently in the market for a new briefcase and leaning towards Frank Clegg. Thoughts, suggestions...?

GadgetFreak Dec 23, 2013 9:57 am

Originally Posted by wolf539 (Post 22015573)
Well after more frequent use I have to say I no longer "love it". In fact I just sold it.

I'm currently in the market for a new briefcase and leaning towards Frank Clegg. Thoughts, suggestions...?

Veeeery, curious as to why?

lostinohio Dec 23, 2013 11:28 am

Can't speak to the leather version's durability, but I have loved the internal organization on the Tumi 96160's slightly smaller nylon cousin (the 26141). Bag easily carries a laptop, a three inch three ring binder, an iPad and a host of other work stuff. Only downside I have found to that bag is it very easy for the bag to carry far more weight than is comfortable to carry on the shoulder with the factory Tumi strap. I eventually decided to give up a little in the looks department and switched out the factory strap for the far more useful Tom Bihn absolute strap.