Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Barbour as a travel jacket?

Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More

Wondering what the experience is here. I like the look, and need something that is long enough to cover a sport coat, but not super formal.

A Barbour seems to fit the bill - I find it stylish enough, but still rugged. A bit on the heavy side, but they are apparently very long wearing... won't have to worry about a replacement for a very long time.

I realise it is not the most uber-technical in terms of material (waxed cotton, after all) but as I get older these things carry a certain appeal for me.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: *G
yep! i use non-logo'ed Long Biker model as a traveling jacket for these reasons:

-tons of LARGE pockets. accomodates medium-sized cameras, 8" tablets, books, etc
-durable - hides & sheds light stains
-looks smarter than athletic outerwear
-warm enough to fight cold and wind and snow

only wish it had a detachable hood for extreme weather

left my first one on a plane to alaska. had to chase a 2nd copy through 2 continents after it went out-of-production !
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:12 am
Original Poster

You are convincing me... am in Paris, on my way to Limerick, where the weather does not look good, and I don't have a coat... Wonder if I can find one in Galeries Lafayette?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: US Airways DM- Silver
Good Luck! I travel with a Beaufort whenever I go to places that require a jacket or threaten rain in the winter/spring/fall. It's 'just' long enough to cover a suit jacket, if needed.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by powerful pete
You are convincing me... am in Paris, on my way to Limerick, where the weather does not look good, and I don't have a coat... Wonder if I can find one in Galeries Lafayette?
try their locator
http://www.barbour.com/shoplocator

They are in LHR for sure, and all over UK&I, if not in their own store then in outdoor-country style stores

Note: while all garments bear the Royal Warrant, not all are made in UK nor have the classic tartan lining
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Noticed that they have a shop in T1 in LHR, where I will be departing tomorrow for SNN. Will see if I can pick up a Beaufort there.

Any other yeas or nays?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I've liked the look, but unfortunately (I am 6 ft 2 in), they don't come in tall sizes, so cannot find a good fit
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by phillychuck
I've liked the look, but unfortunately (I am 6 ft 2 in), they don't come in tall sizes, so cannot find a good fit
Interesting - I'm only slightly shorter (a bit over 6 ft 1 in) and the Beaufort fits me very well.

As to the OP's question, I also endorse the Beaufort as a great travel jacket.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:22 pm

the only other true alternative is belstaff but thats now owned by an italian fashion house/holding company.

many companies like brooks brothers doing the (barbour international) biker-inspired jacket ... but only 1 is the real thing

if you wait until back on US soil theyre carried by Orvis and also re-sold through J Crew, in addition to the barbour stores in new york
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for those leads deniah. Will try to pick one up tomorrow in LHR on my way to SNN. If not Orvis it is.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by powerful pete
A bit on the heavy side, but they are apparently very long wearing... won't have to worry about a replacement for a very long time.
I'm 55, and I'm on my 4th Barbour. When I bought the last one, the salesman said, "See you in another 15 years." He was quite serious.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've got a Barbour Northumbria but would never use it for travelling unless I was going fishing. Not only is it far too heavy, it stinks in warm weather, goes stiff in cold weather and just isn't practical for carrying when you don't need to wear it. They are also quite cold when they get wet.
Great jackets for the countryside but I use more comfortable jackets when travelling.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My older Barbour Game Fair has put in a lot of miles as a travel jacket. It fits over suits and while perhaps not the dressiest overcoat it gets the job done. But I agree with the criticisms that they are heavy and if new or recently refinished can have an oily smell. I also have a non-waxed Barbour Endurance that works with a shorter sports jacket that I prefer.

One note about Barbour. Try them on for size. Recently in Harrods I tried several of their products and depending on the styles I'd wear a Large, X-Large or in one case XXL.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:27 am

I found the Barbour Harwell a bit on the heavy side, and I did not care too much for the external pocket design. I found a lighter weight Travel Jacket that you could order in custom sizes. It has a removable hood, but its is not for heavy rain or snow. I have one and love all the pockets. Its great for airplane, and train traveling.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've got a Barbour Northumbria but would never use it for travelling unless I was going fishing. Not only is it far too heavy, it stinks in warm weather, goes stiff in cold weather and just isn't practical for carrying when you don't need to wear it. They are also quite cold when they get wet.
Great jackets for the countryside but I use more comfortable jackets when travelling.
Absolutely agree. I have one which I quite like, but only for the countryside (and even then ony as a jacket going for a walk on a showery day, rather than a dry, warm coat for a day spent outside).

I definitely wouldn't travel in it, unless I was driving a Land Rover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.