Briggs & Riley TORQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Briggs & Riley TORQ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Briggs & Riley TORQ

So I haven't seen much discussion about this new bag...

My Delsey Helium Fusion carryon was in bad condition after about 2-3 years of use. The zipper handles were broken, the zippers didn't pull smoothly, etc. I have a 2 week long international trip coming up, so I figured I should get a new bag. It was... perhaps out of the range of how much I wanted to spend on a new bag (since I usually prefer to carry just a shoulder bag), but after reading about it... and with two 100$ amazon gift certs lying around, I figured.. what the heck... and I splurged on a Briggs and Riley TORQ International Carryon Spinner. I got the Cobalt version.

My thoughts about the bag so far:

-The blue cobalt finish is very nice, much nicer than I expected.

- The control panel is a nice feature, though it would have been nice if they put in a TSA open indicator. It seems that the control panel will also protect the zipper handles too, because they stay stationary when they are locked.

- Normally I don't use the front pockets of my carryon bag - I can never find anything I put in there, and it's annoying to have to unlock/unzip stuff in the front pockets- I put anything I need to access fast in my shoulder bag... The front pocket on the TORQ carryon, however, might change that - it's huge (fits my 15" laptop AND a tablet!) and really convenient. So much so that I'm considering not taking my shoulder bag with me on my next trip, since I can just stick my laptop in there, take it out when I sit on the plane and put my carryon in the bin - and put the laptop back in when I take my carryon out of the overhead.

- The heavily advertised 70/30 split is pretty nice, and there is a mesh pocket and built in holder w/zipper for the 30 side so things stay together when you open the bag (as opposed to the plastic thing you get with 50/50 hardsides)

- There is a small compartment on the bottom of the bag that they don't really advertise - It's not easily accessible, but it can fit a small amount of toiletries, and is a nice extra bonus.

-There are zippers that let you access the hardshell from the inside, presumably for servicing the bag, or maybe cleaning the fabric.

-I wish the bag was expandable, but I guess I don't use this feature all that much anyway.

I think I'll post an update once I've actually used this bag on a long trip... but if you have any questions...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
Purchased the mid size in graphite two or three weeks ago. Hated it the first time I packed it. Just love it now that I am used to it.

Truly a superb bag. Love the compartments. Love the look and weight. The various compartments actually make packing more efficient.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Have medium graphite as well, love that way it sit on luggage stand and everything accessible. I was not sure of the zipper having seen them on inferior brands but so far it worked and I am not worry because my extreme positive experience with B&R lifetime warranty.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:28 pm

VERY interesting. BR checks all the bases.

Double handle (no mono-pole), easily accessible outside storage (even in the same material as the rest of the case, a first), double wheels (nicely recessed), smart features (the packing plate and the integrated name tag and lock) topped of with a really cool material (Makrolon) and not to forget about the famous warranty that tops Rimowa.

Very tempting hard-sided luggage if you ask me. Read more about Makrolon here:
http://www.makrolon.com/bms/db-rsc/m...nsf/id/home_en

I'd be hard-pressed to decide between that and a Rimowa Topas, the Salsa wouldn't fare well in a comparison, I'm afraid.

Till
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:29 pm

deleted double. Sorry.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:36 am

Most of the high end PC bags are made with Bayer PC. Perhaps now they are trying to market it more by giving it a branded name?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I like spinner hard side for checked luggage but I have two big problems for carry-on (and I would love someone to solve these). First, the wheels take up valuable length - I find carry-on spinners just don't carry as much. Second, on those trips where there is no PreCheck, where does the 3-1-1 bag go?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by tfar

I'd be hard-pressed to decide between that and a Rimowa Topas, the Salsa wouldn't fare well in a comparison, I'm afraid.

Till
this is my conundrum now. I'm going to Germany in Sept...thinking of picking up a Topas (actually a Classic flight 2 wheels...i hate multiwheels for some reason) on hopefully a good deal and have a nice souvineer...but I love B&R's warranty...decisions decisions. Classic look of alumnium vs. weight and funcationality of this case...and it looks pretty good..i guess i'll have to see them side by side before i decide.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:32 am

I think the price is a bit in favor of the BR, no? The Topas has about the same weight. It should offer a bit more storage space due to the two-wheel version you would like to have. Interior and exterior are IMO nicer on the Topas. Safety against opening should also be somewhat better > no zipper that can be pried apart.

If this is a case that will never be checked and if it's the two-wheel version, I wouldn't sweat the warranty issue.

Maneuvering the spinner will still be easier than the roller. The Topas does not have any exterior pockets. Personally, I find those to be very, very practical. It is the reason why I haven't bought one yet. The other reason is that I am VERY happy with my trusty Travelpro Plat5. An all out excellent carry-on that hasn't given me the slightest bit of trouble and performs flawlessly time and again. If it were 2kg lighter, I'd put it on an altar.

So if you can do without the exterior pocket, a two-wheel Topas in the color of your choice should be an excellent piece of luggage.

Till
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
I think the price is a bit in favor of the BR, no? The Topas has about the same weight. It should offer a bit more storage space due to the two-wheel version you would like to have. Interior and exterior are IMO nicer on the Topas. Safety against opening should also be somewhat better > no zipper that can be pried apart.

If this is a case that will never be checked and if it's the two-wheel version, I wouldn't sweat the warranty issue.

Maneuvering the spinner will still be easier than the roller. The Topas does not have any exterior pockets. Personally, I find those to be very, very practical. It is the reason why I haven't bought one yet. The other reason is that I am VERY happy with my trusty Travelpro Plat5. An all out excellent carry-on that hasn't given me the slightest bit of trouble and performs flawlessly time and again. If it were 2kg lighter, I'd put it on an altar.

So if you can do without the exterior pocket, a two-wheel Topas in the color of your choice should be an excellent piece of luggage.

Till
a little, might be a wash on the price if i can find a good deal in germany...the classic flight is a lower price point, about $730 in the US...so at 35% cheaper it'll be around the same i think. i can do without the exterior pocket...i mainly like it because of the style....
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:14 pm

I did a side by side (by side). Thoughts:

The Rimowa classic obviously looks much better. I thought it also had more room, but the briggs and riley had the exterior pocket, hidden compartment. weightwise, it was about a wash for me. I didn't exactly dig the styling of the Torq.

What I did like in comparison was the Widebody roller by B&R...side by side, the storage capacity was SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

I'd lean towards that one.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:46 pm

Please do post an update after your trip. I am very tempted by this bag, specifically the carry on. I would be very interested to know if the carry on easily fits into smaller overhead bins.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
When I look at TORQ on Amazon, it appears as though there's the ability to sign up for an Amazon email subscription on "clothing" that would provide a 20% discount on the TORQ line (up to a $1,000 purchase limit).

I'm intrigued by that concept.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by DHSGemini
I am very tempted by this bag, specifically the carry on. I would be very interested to know if the carry on easily fits into smaller overhead bins.
Should be no problem but maybe a concern as they do not use the maximum IATA dimensions ( in cm 55x40x20)
Dimensions: 9.4" x 14.3" x 19.4" / 23.9 x 36.3 x 49.3 cm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dgreen12
When I look at TORQ on Amazon, it appears as though there's the ability to sign up for an Amazon email subscription on "clothing" that would provide a 20% discount on the TORQ line (up to a $1,000 purchase limit).

I'm intrigued by that concept.
The 20% works. I ordered the carry-on and the medium spinner ($1,008). Discounted $200 before tax (if applicable).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.