FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Frequent Flyer Input? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1473542-frequent-flyer-input.html)

zpbsfg Jun 6, 2013 8:06 am

Frequent Flyer Input?

Hello folks-

I am knew to this forum, as I recently came up with a business concept that relates very well to business travelers/frequent flyers in general.

Are most members on this forum frequent flyers, or are most just occasional?

I have a very brief survey that I would love to get feedback on.

If you're interested, please send me a PM and I'll send you the survey.

Thanks!

nux Jun 6, 2013 8:14 am

Why don't you post a link to it?

zpbsfg Jun 6, 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 20875785)
Why don't you post a link to it?

I suppose that couldn't hurt :)

http://form.jotformpro.com/form/31558751815965?

NeverFirst Jun 6, 2013 9:57 am

I think between the ubiquity of USB chargers nowadays and the very low cost of a portable charger ($30 from Amazon), this approach isn't going to make you much money.

zpbsfg Jun 6, 2013 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst (Post 20876316)
I think between the ubiquity of USB chargers nowadays and the very low cost of a portable charger ($30 from Amazon), this approach isn't going to make you much money.

A portable charger that you're referring to is generally going to be of very low capacity. You'd be lucky to get a 30-40% boost in battery from these types of external chargers.

Thanks for your input!

NeverFirst Jun 6, 2013 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by zpbsfg (Post 20876448)
A portable charger that you're referring to is generally going to be of very low capacity. You'd be lucky to get a 30-40% boost in battery from these types of external chargers.

Thanks for your input!

Well, this seems very popular on Amazon.co.uk (in fact, since seeing your original post I'm tempted to get one).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc®-Sup.../dp/B008YRG5JQ

£28.99 (so about $40-$45) for 12,000 mAh. I think an iPhone battery is about 1,400 mAh.

If you read the top review he reckons he got a total of 6 charges out of it.

soonkyup Jun 9, 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by zpbsfg (Post 20876448)

Originally Posted by NeverFirst (Post 20876316)

Thanks for your input!

Not true. There are plenty of 10,000mah+ external batteries in the $30-40 range on Amazon. As someone said, this service won't make you much money. That'd easily give me 7-10 charges on my iPhone.

nux Jun 10, 2013 7:16 am

And now a lot of airlines have USB and sometimes shared AC outlets for every seat in all classes.

OskiBear Jun 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by nux (Post 20895779)
And now a lot of airlines have USB and sometimes shared AC outlets for every seat in all classes.

I think this will be the biggest killer. I assume it'll potentially be popular for a short while before chargers become ubiquitous on every aircraft and every flight

docmoney Jun 10, 2013 11:53 pm

OP, I like your idea and filled out a survey. The posters here have valid points. For me, the biggest thing would be having to mail the thing back, which is kind of inconvenient. Maybe if I can drop it off in any airport in a kiosk or a hotel lobby... RedBox style... But the capital expenditures would be high then. Or maybe you rent a battery at the airport so you do not have to sit next to an outlet and return it when you are done before boarding the flight?

zpbsfg Jun 11, 2013 8:50 am

Originally Posted by docmoney (Post 20900999)
OP, I like your idea and filled out a survey. The posters here have valid points. For me, the biggest thing would be having to mail the thing back, which is kind of inconvenient. Maybe if I can drop it off in any airport in a kiosk or a hotel lobby... RedBox style... But the capital expenditures would be high then. Or maybe you rent a battery at the airport so you do not have to sit next to an outlet and return it when you are done before boarding the flight?

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, there isn't really a workaround for returning the device unless we have a kiosk in every airport around the country (would be impossible initially). I had the idea of charging while in the terminal brought up by another person as well. Personally, I don't see why people would pay money to use a charger when they could find a wall-outlet for me...?

docmoney Jun 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Ah, but power outlets are not always available and being next to them sometimes requires sitting on the floor.