Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ladies: Need a stylish underseat long-haul personal bag

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Ladies: Need a stylish underseat long-haul personal bag

Hello ladies , pls help me! My 20hr asian trip is approaching and I have been looking for a roomy but stylish under the seat personal bag. This will be my only bag inside the cabin since I have 2 huge checked-in luggages. I prefer a tote/duffle with shoulder option and no wheels pls. and I think the airlines impose a max 36inches so it should be no bigger than 16*13*7 (?) . I am not a fan of backpacks. I also need an exterior pocket and it has to be lightweight since I will be loading this with my macbook air,change of clothes, toiletries,camera,water bottle,snacks,etc. I am also petite. My budget is $600 but the cheaper the better .
Old May 27, 2013, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you might look at tumi, can be much cheaper

valextra may be in range

someone gave me these recently >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...e-my-life.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...ag-laptop.html
Old May 28, 2013, 8:19 am

http://m.tumi.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy50dW...cGFyYW1OYXY%3D
Old May 28, 2013, 9:50 am

I use a Longchamps Pliage totebag on all my longhauls. Lightweight, stylish and it folds up and can be packed in my main bag if I don't need it. It's a very simple bag - no exterior pockets, and only one small interior pocket. It can hold my laptop, kindle, camera, crossbody bag, liquids bag, yoga pants, bose headphones, snacks and travel docs without being overstuffed.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Kagehitoriki, I had fun following all the links and googling those bags in your link. The Los and Sons OMG has some potential.
Kinkora, I too used my Pliage many times and at times drives me nuts with this one big compartment and a useless inner pocket and the flap that always gets in the way. Also, the straps dig into my shoulder . But then, maybe all I need are several organizer packets to go with it and shoulder pads, lol.
I dont know, I am so complicated. I want a practical bag that does not look like a diaper bag or too businessman-like. I even considered the Prada nylons and Leportsac at the extreme. I need a little oooomph .
Old May 28, 2013, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Also, has anyone tried this Hartmann Metropolitan?
http://www.hartmann.com/Hartmann-Met...&searchSize=12

The only problem is it says weight is 9lbs!!
Old May 28, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
What is your main luggage, the checked ones? Brand and color? Do you want your cabin bag to match or coordinate?

I usually take an empty LeSportsac simple tote, packed, to use at my destinations - especially when touring by car. Takes up no room in my suitcase at all.

Check ebags.com. [I like the new Travelon React weekender and tote for their anti-theft features.] Edited: I took my new React tote out of the plastic bag is was shipped in. The interior fabric is extremely flimsy and would never hold up to travel. When I stuck my hand in the outside zipped pocket to check the depth I heard a ripping sound, yep, the fabric tore just by my putting my hand in the pocket. This product is going back to ebags where I bought it and no more Travelon products for me.

Briggs and Riley makes several totes that meet your description, so does Baggallini. Tumi might have something suitable on their website, they have quite a few items on clearance right now.

Last edited by Dianne47; Jun 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Old May 28, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my mom went with tumi for purse/business combo and budget not in thousands
Old May 28, 2013, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47
What is your main luggage, the checked ones? Brand and color? Do you want your cabin bag to match or coordinate?

I usually take an empty LeSportsac simple tote, packed, to use at my destinations - especially when touring by car. Takes up no room in my suitcase at all.

Check ebags.com. I like the new Travelon React weekender and tote for their anti-theft features. Briggs and Riley makes several totes that meet your description, so does Baggallini. Tumi might have something suitable on their website, they have quite a few items on clearance right now.
I have 2 black Delseys and they don't need to match with my carry-on. I agree with Lesports-I always pack one as well. I even considered the Weekender but it's just too flimsy under the seat. I am going to check out this Tumi tomorrow. It will be nice if it can easily be swung onto (and stay put) my luggage.

Last edited by onlydbest; May 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm
Old May 31, 2013, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Bought the Tumi, returned the Tumi. Almost bought the Kate spade Milla but after finding a coupon for Lo and Sons, decided to buy the black OMG. Thanks everyone for all the helpful links.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:04 pm

Can't say it is particularly stylish but it's no worse than the usual black nylon bag: Skooba Laptop Weekender. These are fantastic capacious non-wheeled bags with big useful outside pockets and a big dump-in interior. Go to Skooba.com for a look with lots of pictures, but I've seen it cheaper elsewhere. They do sell out and go scarce periodically.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I've been using a Lipault Weekend Bag as my carry-on. Never had an issue with it not fitting under the seat in front of me and I like the zipped pockets. It's also very lightweight and has a strap that slides over the handle of my large luggage.

http://www.lipault-us.com/softluggag...ulder-bag.html
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
This may be more functional than stylish but my wife picked up a Briggs & Riley Large Shopping Tote ($150) for a travel bag. It's large enough, durable and she can put her medium YSL Muse bag inside it (her Muse Bowler doesn't fit) along with her laptop, etc.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...pping-Tote_255
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I just bought one of these after seeing a friend's: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...10022649&N=255 I have not yet determined whether 19" makes it too long to fit comfortably under a seat, but functionally it would be a great bag for that purpose. The top opens very wide, making it easy to find things inside. What you can't see well in the photos is that the entire inside of the bag is lined with organizer pockets of various size that keep essentials stowed on the sides of the bag, while bigger things can go in the center. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.