Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Briggs&riley bag handle broke after two trips

Old May 27, 13, 9:40 am
Original Poster

This was rather unexpected.. Handle of a recently bought 24' B&R bag stopped retracting after the outbound - not sure what baggage handling folks did to it. That and a wheelcap came off and got lost somewhere.
I expected a bit more resilience from a premium bag...
What options do I have to fix it with minimal delays?
Old May 27, 13, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)

Return to where you bought to see if they can fix locally or they will ship back to B&R
Old May 27, 13, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
This was rather unexpected.. Handle of a recently bought 24' B&R bag stopped retracting after the outbound - not sure what baggage handling folks did to it. That and a wheelcap came off and got lost somewhere.
I expected a bit more resilience from a premium bag...
What options do I have to fix it with minimal delays?
Baseline or BRX? Curious. I have had a similar problem with a recent BRX I have to send back for repairs. It is only a couple years old. I havent had that problem with much older (10+ years) models.
Old May 27, 13, 10:00 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
They have one of the best guarantees out there for fixing or repairing, so get in touch and they'll set you up.
Old May 27, 13, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on their website >
there may be a local 'minor' repair center you can drive to (i will report on what 'minor' means when i find out)
they have some repair kits they sell cheap (plus overnight shipping if handle is option)
Old May 27, 13, 10:26 pm

I've heArd about BRX stuff breaking also.
Old May 27, 13, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replies.
Baseline - so I was very surprised. Never happened in 10+ yrs of travel but I rarely check bags. Probably just bad luck with a new bag - i would expect wheels to go first on a spinner...
Bought from Nordstrom rack so return to store is not an option but I do have a repair center not far away - I'll stop by next week.
Old May 27, 13, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

company repair center (does everything) >
860 Airport St., Unit A, Moss Beach, CA 94038 - Hours of Operation M-F 8:30am to 4:30pm
http://www.briggs-riley.com/care-repair/

"simple" repair (no idea yet) >
http://www.briggs-riley.com/care-repair/index.aspx

repairs are free

"self repair" ($7.50 plus shipping) >
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...lf-repair-kits

id assume some crazy handlers

after a samsonite spinner lost wheel and completely torn main front pocket on first trip, (who knows what repair cost)
briggs and riley for me (may check out osprey in future)
Old May 28, 13, 11:39 am

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Sorry to hear your experience. B&R is not indestructible, just well made. Damage to Baseline indicates serious mishandling. Air India managed to damage one of mine recently. Important thing is, B&R has you covered. They'll repair/replace for free, no fine print.
Old May 28, 13, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Two posts above mention spinner wheels getting ripped off bags. This happened to me. No more spinners for me...
Old May 29, 13, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
Two posts above mention spinner wheels getting ripped off bags. This happened to me. No more spinners for me...
spinner wheels can come off quite easily if they hit the ground at the wrong angle
Old May 29, 13, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by mr_rogers View Post
Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
spinner wheels can come off quite easily if they hit the ground at the wrong angle
Which is why I spent the money for B&R when I decided to purchase a spinner. Great warranty
Old Jun 11, 13, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Follow up:
Dropped it off at the nearby repair store (3 bar) and one week later had it fixed - new handle assembly attached and wheel cap replaced for free.
Very pleased.
Old Jun 11, 13, 10:56 pm

Congrats
Old Jan 6, 14, 1:12 am
Original Poster

A few more trips and a spinner wheel on the same bag completely broke off - bag came out in PVG with a screw sticking out. That was the first leg of 2 week long multidestination trip so a missing wheel was a significantr inconvenience.

A am sure I'll be able to get it fixed now that i am back home but i have increasing doubts about reliability of B&R... Or perhaps spinners in general - if the entire weight of packed bag drops on one wheel during baggage handling the likelihood of damage is probably quite high...

Search this Thread