Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Briggs&riley bag handle broke after two trips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by azepine00
A am sure I'll be able to get it fixed now that i am back home but i have increasing doubts about reliability of B&R... Or perhaps spinners in general...
That's most likely the culprit. Rugged travel, with rough handling here and there, would stress spinners a whole lot more than traditional 2-wheel Baseline rollers.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:35 am

i wouldn't trust any large (>22") 4-wheel spinner to last very long if it is going to be used heavily as a checked bag on flights. i say this regardless of what brand makes the spinner. i'll pick the conventional 2-wheeler every time.

ps. my one and only spinner is a 24" samsonite polycarbonate that i got on sale at a great price and that i would never use for air travel.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aktchi
That's most likely the culprit. Rugged travel, with rough handling here and there, would stress spinners a whole lot more than traditional 2-wheel Baseline rollers.
Yet every manufacturer makes giant 27-32" spinners! Mine is only 25"...

I've always been skeptical of spinners' durability but i have to admit that pushing two 25" together on any more or less smooth surface is very easy even with kids riding on them...

Last edited by azepine00; Jan 6, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by azepine00
A few more trips and a spinner wheel on the same bag completely broke off - bag came out in PVG with a screw sticking out...

A am sure I'll be able to get it fixed now that i am back home but i have increasing doubts about reliability of B&R... Or perhaps spinners in general - if the entire weight of packed bag drops on one wheel during baggage handling the likelihood of damage is probably quite high...
My extremely resilient bag looked like it had been seriously mishandled in PVG also.

I have many pieces of B + R. They've been my go-to brand nearly 7 years now since they were recommended on the travel insider blog. I have called on B + R's guarantee services two times and each time it felt like I'd checked into the Ritz I and my bag were treated so well. I think the spinner design is going to be inherently more vulnerable no matter who made your bag and luggage mishandling happens. I just hope the fantastic warranty service I've had both times on B + R will be able to be continued as they roll out spinners. B + R will retain my loyalty.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Not sure why you guys are apologizing so much for B&R. They chose to design, manufacturer, and sell a spinner bag. They are experts, and should be aware of the potential weak spots of a spinner, and they should anticipate that their bags will be checked and have to deal with all sorts of baggage handlers.

Dude bought a bag, and within 4 trips his handle failed and a wheel was ripped off. If I said that happened to my TJMaxx bag, everyone on this board would blame me for buying a cheap bag. But when the same thing happens to a B&R bag, not one person blames B&R.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by pittpanther
Not sure why you guys are apologizing so much for B&R. They chose to design, manufacturer, and sell a spinner bag. They are experts, and should be aware of the potential weak spots of a spinner, and they should anticipate that their bags will be checked and have to deal with all sorts of baggage handlers.

Dude bought a bag, and within 4 trips his handle failed and a wheel was ripped off. If I said that happened to my TJMaxx bag, everyone on this board would blame me for buying a cheap bag. But when the same thing happens to a B&R bag, not one person blames B&R.
The difference is that B&R takes responsibility, even where it is someone else's fault, and fixes or replaces it free - without question.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:16 am

After about 5 years of heavy use the airlines finally managed to rip off the wheels on my B&R bag. I sent it in to the B&R repair facility and the bag came back in almost new conditions. Replace many items on the bag that were worn. Very happy with the service from B&R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.