Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi Alpha Bravo Kingsville Deluxe Backpack 22382

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Tumi Alpha Bravo Kingsville Deluxe Backpack 22382

Anyone have this model? Was wondering about usage in C level meetings traveling out of town. Is it going to look funky compared to, say, your typical Alpha briefcases? It looks a bit unstructured from the pic on the website. I am trying to avoid carrying another laptop/iPod sleeve into the meetings when I travel out of town.

As for fit, does it fit under aisle seats? And can the bag stand by itself on its own when loaded with stuff? Or does it fall forward or backward.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:53 pm

I cannot speak to how appropriate it is in any meeting as I have yet to see anyone carry a backpack into one. This one is more professional looking than a casual or school book bag. I looked at the Alpha backpacks but found their rather boxy design a turn-off. I use an Alpha briefcase (as well as a Hartmann leather unit) and it seems that those styles in addition to messenger bags and other shoulder bags are standard.

The backpack is mostly unstructured with good padding in the back maintaining the shape. It fits easily under Southwest aisle seats. The bag can stand by itself empty. Loaded, it depends on the distribution of items in the various pockets and sleeves. I am pleased with it. The only real complaint is the lack of a sternum strap even though it has a place for one. I added an aftermarket item.

Regards, Peter
Old May 23, 2013, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freezy
I use an Alpha briefcase (as well as a Hartmann leather unit) and it seems that those styles in addition to messenger bags and other shoulder bags are standard.
You have good taste with the Hartmann leather. I'll order the backpack and see how it looks in person.

I'll then report back with my own take when it arrives next week. Usually my colleagues tell me their opinions right away.

Last edited by Mellonc; May 23, 2013 at 10:31 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 27, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

regular store sale going on
outlet sale through 6/4
not sure if applies to this, but may be other similar
Old May 28, 2013, 2:28 am

Greetings,

Just bought this backpack 4 days ago at Tumi - currently on sale in Black ($289), but not on sale in other colors. I did a test over the weekend and "moved in" and found it to be quite roomy and sturdy (same durable material as Alpha bags), and 2 good-sized compartments with adequate padding. Also several small pockets in front and along the side. So, a keeper for me.

I'm in high-tech and travel with loads of electronics, and this is an upscale looking backpack, but is a backpack and can handle the bulky weight, but will easily fit under a seat on a plane. The only thing I did not care for was the Tumi luggage tag that hangs down from the front, I replaced that with something that did not advertise Tumi so obviously (just my preference), otherwise I think it was a good buy.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

the OCD in me is preventing me from liking this bag for a couple of reasons. First the side pockets seem spacious in the beginning but when the main compartment is full the side pockets gets squished. If I try to fill it with stuff, it starts to protrude pushing the width of the bag into 15 inch territory which spells trouble for storing underneath aisle seats. The front pockets are OK but the top one is shockingly shallow. Secondly, the two pockets inside that are about 5 inches deep are a mystery. They are so skinny that I can't put my hand down there all the way (it's not elastic) yet, they seem like they have a purpose for something.

Oh, and the laptop section isn't padded on the bottom. I highly doubt I can simply drop this bag on the ground without damaging my laptop. The Tumi Alpha's have a system where the bottom the laptop has a gel/foam padding. This one is alfresco.

and it doesn't have the add-bag strap either.

Yet, I find myself strangely drawn to the double opening system with huge openings both in the front and in the back. I'll report back after "moving house" from my current system.

Last edited by Mellonc; May 28, 2013 at 6:04 pm Reason: typo
Old May 29, 2013, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

the bag is going back. I couldn't "move in" from my current rectangular tote back measuring 16.5 X 11 X 8.5. Mine is true 35 linear inches and quite compact. It carried:

14 inch laptop with power brick
ebags file folder with about an 1/2 inch thick of reading materials and documents
Thermarest seat cushion fully deflated
a4 sized leather note pad (sometimes I swap this with an ipad)
3 by 9 by 1 inch packing cube
in ear headphones
iphone and charger
extra charger for iphone
size 11 dress shoes with elongated toes (about 13 inches in length)
311 bag and toiletry bags (briggs riley waterproof bag - small)
some pens, b-card case

I could barely close the zippers. And the width was already pushing 16 inches. That's not gonna fit under aisle seats. Case closed. I gotta find another bag.

Otherwise the bag was nice. I really like the interior material/fabric. Perhaps it's good for people who don't need to put shoes in their briefcase/pack. Or maybe I should just give up my habit of carrying around extra shoes in my briefcases....
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:10 pm

Wow - I can see that you have lots to travel with - I only wear a size 9 shoe on a good day. I resigned myself to having to carry just my electronics in the backpack and perhaps just get a coat in the bag if I'm going trans-atlantic. But what you have discovered (as have I) is that there is no perfect single solution out there and everything has some sort of trade off. Good luck with your search!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.