Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why are newer Tumi breifcases lighter

Old May 21, 2013, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitcarin
thanks for all the feedback. I have talked with Tumi and have received the following weights of their models:

26141 7.32 lb
26180 6.57 lb
26150 7.28
96160 9.39,
26160 is 9.11 lbs.
5564 4.9 (but doesn't really fit my need)
Seems like the "safecase" adds a couple of extra pounds to the case. After walking around with it I have to believe that extra weight will become very important.
I am testing out a couple briefcases from Tumi and found this older thread on Tumi weights. I have an older model too and thought something's amiss with the newer ones. For example, the 26160 which is the large expandable brief weighted only around 6 lbs. In comparison to the post above it seemed odd. I also felt around the interior and exterior fabric and I can tell the thickness of the whole structure isn't the same as before.

I know Tumi changed the warranty to an inferior one than what we had before but wasn't sure the product quality is now actually different. Anyone know this for fact? Any comparisons between new and old?
Old May 21, 2013, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I noticed the shoulder strap attachments are now plastic stead of metal. The strap design is also different. But I don't see any other parts that are too different from simply looking at it.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
They all carry a lighter weight warranty.

Seriously, they reduced their warranty for a reason, to save money. Why would we not expect them to reduce the quality to compensate. Why use heavier duty materials when all you really need are ones that last 5 years? After the warranty period expires repairs become a profit center. Couple that with the fact that many will not retain proof of purchase and therefore will have to pay for repairs before 5 years have elapsed.

My recommendation would be to either buy something which is disposable (i.e. cheaper) or buy something with a lifetime no BS warranty. Otherwise you're just paying for the status symbol, which is legit and worth the extra cost to many.

Last edited by Materdei; May 24, 2013 at 4:29 am
Old May 25, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I stopped using my Tumi briefcase several years ago for two reasons--
--The zippers broke and I was too lazy to get them repaired.
--It was heavy and I wanted to go lighter.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I think of Tumi as actually inexpensive. I know the materials they are using these days are not as solid as before (evidently) but I just don't have many options in the "luxurious and functional but not pretentious and godawful expensive." Look at all the Vuitton stuff. My colleague has one of these and I checked it out. The price was about double of Tumi's highest priced luxury line yet lacked functional compartments and usable pocket designs. I like Hartmann also but mostly for the belting leather line. Not so much for the other stuff.

On a side note: I was at a conference in NYC a couple weeks back and got to have lunch with a well known corresspondant from a cable news channel. He didn't have any briefcase at all. He had this old paper accordion folder with a bunch of paper notes. I asked why he wasn't carrying around an iPad like everyone else in the room. He said he didn't need to and pulled out a 3 by 5 paper notepad with a tiny pen attached to it from his jacket pocket. Then he smiled.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tumi has outlet stores that have sales

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.