FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Scottevest product quality problem (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1468936-scottevest-product-quality-problem.html)

ifenn May 21, 2013 5:31 am

Scottevest product quality problem

Hi,

Do you own a Scottevest jacket? If so, have you ever found the plastic earphone guides simply fall off? With my Revolution Plus jacket, the plastic cylinders simply dropped off their tabs.

I asked Scottevest to repair the issue under their product warranty, but they refused, claiming that I must have cut the guides off the jacket. I did not do this, so I'm reaching out to other customers in the hope that I can demonstrate to Scottevest that the problem exists and that they should offer good customer service accordingly.

Thanks for any help.

--
Ian

TravelQ Jun 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I no longer purchase merchandise from ScottEVest.

I own a few of their vests and a jacket, and they are functional and serve their purpose though they aren't particularly well- made. A few years ago I bought three camp-type shirts from them that were lightweight and quick-drying. A button on one of them fell off when I took it out of the package. Buttons on the other two came off in the wash (gentle cycle.)

Had the colors been regular colors, I would have just had the buttons sewn back on, but they were unusual colors and I didn't intend to spend time trying to track down the right thread. I contacted the company to see about getting them replaced but got no response. I posted a message on their website, which was deleted shortly afterwards. There was no effort by the company to follow up and resolve the problem.

Good luck to you in resolving your problem with them.

lavedder Jun 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Count me in as a dissatisfied customer with their quality. I called customer care and they wouldn't resolve the issue.

TheMadBrewer Jun 23, 2013 11:05 pm

I've also stopped buying ScottEVest products. I have a bunch of jackets and a couple have held up OK but most of them have problems. Usually it's a zipper problem (they have so many zippers they use cheap ones) but I had a jacket (I think it was a Revolution but I'd have to check) where fabric just started shred on the first trip I wore it. Their customer service pretty much told me to pound sand (more polite that that, but that was the gist of it). So I no longer buy their products. I like the idea but and would pay more for a quality product.

catflyer Aug 3, 2013 12:51 pm

Agree -- I have several, but no longer buy them due to poor quality.

golasalle Aug 8, 2013 9:53 am

Glad that I never picked up anything from them, given the product quality issues I keep reading here on FT. Has anyone found an alternative product from a better manufacturer?

oldpenny16 Aug 8, 2013 10:20 am

Add me to the list of dissatisfied customers. Zipper issues and products with fabrics literally falling to pieces.

No help at all from Scott's Customer service dept.

Magellan's has a couple of similar products and also sells ScottEVest products.

sunshineaz Aug 8, 2013 12:37 pm

I have seen all the comments on many forums about the Sottevest. I had almost bought one for my husband as it seemed more convenient than the hidden wallet etc.
I have seen several other products, but can't find anything other than the "great product" comments on the product website. Now, not sure what to get my husband for his International travel to carry all his stuff.

I have checked the hidden wallet, document holder type websites and just not sure what to get at this point.

Shak51 Aug 8, 2013 1:15 pm

I have a Scottevest and I really like it but I'll agree quality of materials is lacking and I don't anticipate getting a long life out of it. I don't use it as a extra suitcase but rather I load all the things like phones, wallets, passports, tablets, and so before I get to the airport so all I have to do at security is take off the vest.

Shak

Loren Pechtel Aug 8, 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Shak51 (Post 21238183)
I have a Scottevest and I really like it but I'll agree quality of materials is lacking and I don't anticipate getting a long life out of it. I don't use it as a extra suitcase but rather I load all the things like phones, wallets, passports, tablets, and so before I get to the airport so all I have to do at security is take off the vest.

Shak

Yeah. I have a jacket of theirs. Other than the placement of one zipper I love the design. Lifespan, though, I have my doubts.

east_of_the_sun Aug 8, 2013 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by golasalle (Post 21236964)
Glad that I never picked up anything from them, given the product quality issues I keep reading here on FT. Has anyone found an alternative product from a better manufacturer?

My husband has this Royal Robbins vest and it appears to be holding up well.

chx1975 Aug 9, 2013 12:46 am

Well, I only wear my SeV pants and jacket when flying so I can't judge how long they will last. My hoodie is a SeV one and that has seen about two year of usage (net) and so far, so good. I am wearing their t-shirts every day to the gym and those hold up pretty well.

Loren Pechtel Aug 9, 2013 11:51 am

Originally Posted by chx1975 (Post 21241155)
Well, I only wear my SeV pants and jacket when flying so I can't judge how long they will last. My hoodie is a SeV one and that has seen about two year of usage (net) and so far, so good. I am wearing their t-shirts every day to the gym and those hold up pretty well.

Yeah, my jacket doesn't get a lot of use either. It just doesn't feel like something that's going to hold up, though.

h15t0r1an Aug 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Scottevest poor garment execution

I love their market proposition and their designs and the concept. But quality of materials and finishing has left me wishing I could buy more, but disinclined to.

The zips are simply not of sufficient quality. They need to pay more for quality zips. The zip is what lets them down mostly. There is much feedback on this. They're obviously making so much money they don't need to listen. Negative reviews don't seem to get posted on their website which damages trust. I was still a fan until the bungee cord on the bottom of my fleece jacket detached as soon as I took it out of the packet.

After many purchases they unexpectedly sent me a $15 voucher to spend on their website. That gave me warm and fuzzies. Until, that was, when I tried to use it on an accessory on their website they would not allow it to be used. That turned a good thing I thought they'd done for me into a bad thing. I haven't bought anything from them since.

Dianne47 Aug 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Hmm, I just haven't had the same experiences that other posters write about. I have a number of SEV products and have had issues with a couple. Whenever I communicate with their customer service I am promptly and correctly handled, including prepaid return labels or replacing an item. I especially like my vests, the women's quarter-zips, women's trenchcoat, and the "Lucy" cardigan.