Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

my employer's health insurance plan offer ZERO coverage outside of the 50 states

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

my employer's health insurance plan offer ZERO coverage outside of the 50 states

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

I've been working for the same large employer for several years now. Never had a problem with the health insurance plan for employees.

However, I recently discovered that it offers ZERO coverage outside of US. Not even for emergencies. It even excludes US territories outside of the 50 states. (such as Guam, Puerto Rico, USVI, Canada, etc) All these exclusions are clearly spelled on on the written policy guide. How can this be legal?

In any case... I travel quite a bit to Europe and Asia on personal trips. I always assumed that I was covered... but guess I should now look for a healthy plan to cover me on these trip. Any recommendations?
Old May 9, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBackwards
It even excludes US territories outside of the 50 states. (such as Guam, Puerto Rico, USVI, Canada, etc)
Canada?
Old May 9, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by FlyingBackwards
How can this be legal?
Why would it be illegal?
Old May 9, 2013, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Canada?
My apologies.... I certainly don't mean Canada is currently a U.S. territory. That's just how they listed the exclusions in the policy guide.

(as an aside, I do support the merger of the US and Canada into a single country or federation, but that's totally unrelated to this thread )
Old May 9, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Be glad that the US has the most expensive healthcare costs anywhere, so your insurance elsewhere should cost A LOT less.
Old May 9, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by empedocles
Why would it be illegal?
excluding US territories... especially Puerto Rico and USVI... just seems wrong to me
Old May 9, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE

This seems to be a common clause now for workplaces that don't require international travel. I'd go with a business or leisure year long travel insurance policy. It covers medical emergency and transportation home. I say go with the year Long if you do more than 1 or 2 trips as its not much more expensive to just get the whole year.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
A significant percentage of large employers self-insure (although contract with a carrier for network administration). Any restrictions like that are certainly not done by the administrator without the employer signing on. One reason for this kind of exclusion is the inability of the administrator to put into place price capitation, when dealing with non-network providers. It's unlikely that a "Blue Cross" kind of administrator is going to have the ability to do so outside of the U.S.

My experience from having been involved in purchasing of self insured programs is that the employer usually will have some provision for foreign emergency coverage. However the patient will have to self-pay for services, and attempt to get a partial reimbursement when back in the U.S. The amount they get back might be subject to a different deductible and/or interpretation of "ordinary & customary" then if you went to an out-of-network provider in the States.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Did I miss something? Was Canada annexed while I slept?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As a way to save money, many employers will exclude coverage outside the US and no it's not illegal.

When I moved to my current employer, they had two options: one a PPO that didn't offer coverage outside of the US, and the other a self administered plan that did. The self administered plan was slightly more expensive but worth the $5 more per month for the expanded coverage for me. But for someone who never travels having the option to save $5 per month for something they didn't need was a nice thing. Incidentally this year in order to simplify things, they went to one option only - thankfully the self administered plan - but everyone is paying a lot more as a result.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:02 pm

I recently switched jobs and lost my extended health care coverage. Makes sense though as the travel for this job is significantly less than what the previous job was.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs

Be happy you get insurance. Buy trip insurance or an international plan while you travel.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Is it common for US employers to offer international personal insurance to employees? I am used to paying for travel insurance for any travel to foreign countries.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Canada?
If you think about it, it's not exactly untrue...
Old May 9, 2013, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by ozdude
Is it common for US employers to offer international personal insurance to employees? I am used to paying for travel insurance for any travel to foreign countries.
It's reasonably common for US employer health policies to offer at least emergency coverage. IMO, it's actually kinda uncommon for Americans to buy travel insurance (in the form that kiwis and aussies would recognize) when they travel internationally. I have a pet theory that it's because of their typical destinations - Canada, Mexico, Caribbean islands for the majority of destinations for the vast majority of American international travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.