Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

A Better Wallet? - Seriously!

A Better Wallet? - Seriously!

Old Apr 29, 13, 9:13 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
FWIW Mighty Wallet has been using the same material, Tyvek, for years. I picked one up for $5 at a local store that had some in the clearance rack and like it because it has a funky retro cartoon design that works in ways as it doesn't really look like a wallet but don't use it all the time the card slots aren't as snug as I prefer. How do cards fit in the slimfold? For $20 I just might give it a try.
If I hold it by the edges and shake it upside down, the CSP card fall out, so I have to grab it well before taking if out of my pocket so the CSP doesn't slide out on accident. I think because of its weight, thickness it has weakened the hold. The other credit cards have no problem of sliding out, pretty snug.

Another problem would be if one week you carry 10 cards, it will stretch it out. So then if you want to go back down to 5, it will be stretched and they may slide out.

I only carry 3 + ID + Some cash and it has not loosened up besides the CSP. I know they are also coming out with a smaller version in the next few months (Only 1 fold possibly instead of 3)
Old Apr 29, 13, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by caGALINDO View Post
If I hold it by the edges and shake it upside down, the CSP card fall out, so I have to grab it well before taking if out of my pocket so the CSP doesn't slide out on accident. I think because of its weight, thickness it has weakened the hold. The other credit cards have no problem of sliding out, pretty snug.

Another problem would be if one week you carry 10 cards, it will stretch it out. So then if you want to go back down to 5, it will be stretched and they may slide out.

I only carry 3 + ID + Some cash and it has not loosened up besides the CSP. I know they are also coming out with a smaller version in the next few months (Only 1 fold possibly instead of 3)
Thanks for your thoughts. As mentioned I just might try this quite inexpensive wallet out.

I watched the videos for SlimFold and liked that the latest version would hold bigger paper items than just U.S. cash such as Euros and even boarding passes. I have been using a combination passport holder with 4 card clots but add cash and it gets pretty fat so might move to separate passport holder & wallet for future trips.
Old May 1, 13, 5:51 pm

When traveling, I use a leather travel wallet sold through Lufthansa Worldhop.

Mine is the older black leather, blue interior, 1994 vintage. I continue to use this as it holds multiple credit cards, passports, and currency, and the leather remains very good quality. My home wallet is locked away in our safe.

Travel receipts and expenses (very important to our accountant ) remain in that wallet when I return home. I only remove the credit cards, National ID cards, and DL. I then lock the rest in a folder in the safe, until I do expenses the next day or at the end of the week.

Currency ( I retain 100 CHF in each exchange ) from the countries I visited, remain in the travel wallet for the next trip. ( Brasilian BRL is more like R$ 300-400 these days ).

It is amazing what receipt items tumble out then that I had forgotten about.
Old May 1, 13, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM PP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by mia View Post
These wallets are relatively inexpensive which would allow you to test a few different styles:

http://www.bigskinny.net/the-skinny.html
I second bigskinny. They have deals through Groupon once in a while. It wears well and can hold a ton of cards. I try to keep the cash to a minimum though because it seems like over 5 bills will make the wallet thick.
Old May 2, 13, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by dr88 View Post
I second bigskinny. They have deals through Groupon once in a while. It wears well and can hold a ton of cards. I try to keep the cash to a minimum though because it seems like over 5 bills will make the wallet thick.
Which bigskinny wallet do you have?
Old May 7, 13, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by caGALINDO View Post
You can fit 10 cards in this one plus cash and its the slimmest I've found. I've had mine for like 6 months still strong.

http://www.slimfoldwallet.com/
Just processed my order tonight and so will give this wallet a try as I have a couple of more trips booked this year and am looking to change how I carry my valuables.

For several years I have been put everything in a very nice Cross leather passport holder that has 3 card slots but what wound up happening was I was carry more cards than it was designed to hold plus cash plus receipts, parking stubs etc. that it created quite a bulge and weighed me down whether it was in my jacket pocket or pants. I've decided to try and split things up and carry the cards & cash in the Slimfold leaving the passport holder for just the passport.

We'll see how it goes but am hoping it lives up to the billing.
Old May 22, 13, 11:59 pm

Well, received my slimfold wallet yesterday and have been trying it out a bit tonight so thought I'd offer some thoughts.

It's definitely slim but feel sturdy and even when loaded with 10 cards doesn't create a big bulge so for that. The one nit to pick however is that the credit card slots are just the size of a card which while good in that it hold the card securely I'm one of those nuts that keeps his CC and bank card in the small foil sleeves to protect from being skimmed and the card in the sleeve don't easily fit.

That said, I'm likely only to use this as a travel wallet and not one for everyday use at home so will work around that small issue. First trip is in a few weeks to HNL and will pack this along.
Old May 23, 13, 9:01 am

I ordered this...

http://www.bigskinny.net/leather-hybrid-trifold.html

- skinny indeed! With the same contents this wallet is
half the size of my old one.

and this...

http://www.bigskinny.net/leather-traveler1.html

- this would be skinnier without the zipper and coin
pocket on the back of which I am not a fan. But, this
will do nicely for trips.
Old Jun 5, 13, 4:30 pm

I second big skinny which I've had for over 5 years now and it's still holding up good, but I just pledged for Quick Wallet on Kickstarter so I'll see how that one is when I get it next month.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-rfid-blocking
Old Jun 5, 13, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Silver, US DMS, AA, HA, WN
Originally Posted by Rusearch View Post
I still love my nylon original all-ett from http://www.all-ett.com/ or Amazon. It holds a lot while still being slim enough to fit into my front pocket, which I prefer for security. The nylon starts to wear out after 2-3 years, but they are inexpensive enough to not be an issue.
I have the All-Ett with the ID window. Just counted and I have 12 cards, cash, and some pictures, all in roughly the thickness of an iPhone. Good stuff.
Old Jun 16, 13, 5:19 pm

After returning from HNL a few days ago thought I would update this thread to say the slimfold wallet performed well and was easily able to travel around for a day with it in my front pocket of shorts without it being to obvious or awkward.

Still wish some of the slots would fit a card in a foil sleeve however but maybe that will come in a future updated version.
Old Aug 11, 13, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
When I saw the title of your thread, I thought it was about this outfit, which has had ads in the sidebar of FT since last night (I have no experience with them or their product):

http://bellroy.com/pages/slim-your-w...FYMWMgodNWAAjg
I bought one from Bellroy and sent it back immediately. Leather is very plastic and the quality is just not there for me.
Old Aug 11, 13, 10:22 am

The slimfold wallet looks fantastic - has anyone owned it for long enough to certify that it can really withstand the wear and tear of travel over many trips? I've ordered one anyway - will post a review.

Just processed my order tonight and so will give this wallet a try as I have a couple of more trips booked this year and am looking to change how I carry my valuables.

For several years I have been put everything in a very nice Cross leather passport holder that has 3 card slots but what wound up happening was I was carry more cards than it was designed to hold plus cash plus receipts, parking stubs etc. that it created quite a bulge and weighed me down whether it was in my jacket pocket or pants. I've decided to try and split things up and carry the cards & cash in the Slimfold leaving the passport holder for just the passport.

Last edited by arjunrc; Aug 11, 13 at 4:57 pm
Old Aug 11, 13, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
I ordered this...

http://www.bigskinny.net/leather-hybrid-trifold.html

- skinny indeed! With the same contents this wallet is
half the size of my old one.

and this...

http://www.bigskinny.net/leather-traveler1.html

- this would be skinnier without the zipper and coin
pocket on the back of which I am not a fan. But, this
will do nicely for trips.
Completed a coupla trips with both of them now... I use
the Passport wallet while in travel and the smaller one
on arrival.

They do the job for me without the unnecessary expense
of some other products.
Old Aug 12, 13, 12:11 pm

tri-fold wallets really aren't my thing and i don't understand why you need a wallet with a passport holder. Never made much sense to me that.

Search this Thread