Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Resale value of expensive brands (like Tumi)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:05 am
Original Poster

What is your experience with trying to sell off Tumi bags? I know they are expensive, but I thought there would be a large set of followers looking for good deals. I've been trying to sell off my Tumi wheeled executive brief on a variety of forums (Craigslist, ebay etc) and there has not been even a single bite (and its in very good shape). (This in in stark contrast to, say, Canon L lenses which are ridiculously expensive, but I've sold several at slightly higher prices that I bought them, because people know the quality they produce)

What is your experience with Tumi resale? How does tumi resale compare to the other ones that get compared to it (like B&R)?

Curious.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I am only speculating. There is likely concern about the bags being authentic. Fake bags are everywhere on the internet.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You would almost have to be giving the bag away for me to even consider it on the used market, and even then I'd probably only buy one from a Goodwill type of thrift store. Though in general, I don't usually want anything to do with used luggage.

People are going to be concerned if they are real or not, if there is a warranty or not, if you had a cat that lived in it while you were home or not, etc. In most cases, people are looking for way too much money for them, for not much more I can buy a new one or one at the outlet and not worry much about it.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:54 am

I had a different experience when I was looking for a pre-owned Tumi Alpha Tri-Fold garment bag. I looked around eBay and CL and either couldn't find a used one for sale, or else the price was so high that it wasn't much less than buying one brand new. I was surprised to see so few garment bags on the usual re-sale sites. I ended up buying a new one because I couldn't find a used one at a decent price.

I just looked up the recent completed listings on eBay for the Alpha Tri-Fold and see that a very nice used one just sold for $227. If that had been available when I was looking, I would have bid on it. That's almost $200 less than brand new.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually put it up for 70% of outlet price (60% of retail or more), which I thought was fair, but maybe not. The notes on cats/pets etc is valid. I guess from a seller's perspective, if I have to sell a $500 bag at $150, then its really not worth selling, unless its damaged or beaten up. So, bottom line, looks like resale value is really not good with these brands.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
If there were resale methods for luggage, I wouldn't have such a massive personal inventory of baggage!

I ended up giving away 2 Zero Haliburton 3 suiter aluminum bags (without wheels) that were too heavy to use with modern weight limits on checked bags. They went to a friend who only travels by car. Don't feel sorry for me .....yet. I have 6 more Zero aluminum bags in smaller sizes that are loitering on closet shelves.

Long, long ago these fine suitcases were sales incentives where I worked. We were thrilled to win them and actually traveled with matched sets of 2 or 3 at a time!!! Ancient days those.

Over the years the incentive prizes switched over to TravelPro (have plenty of those no longer in active use) and then on to Delsey and Eagle Creek.

I think I can move without having to pack anything in a carton. I can just use luggage!

I have donated luggage to women's shelters as well as to Goodwill, but have hardly made a dent in my collection.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:10 pm

I think Briggs Riley stuff retains value pretty well. Check out this auction on Ebay that just got completed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190825905759...84.m1497.l2649
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: CO UA
Originally Posted by arjunrc
What is your experience with Tumi resale? How does tumi resale compare to the other ones that get compared to it (like B&R)?
Always assume zero resale value.

In your entire life, have you (or anyone you know) ever considered buying used luggage, except perhaps at a garage sale?

If you have old luggage, then either give it away, or donate it (and use the value as a tax write-off).
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Good question.
To answer it:

1) No, I've never bought used luggage. I guess that is telling.

2) I have never considered buying used luggage till I discovered flyertalk. Before I did, I would never buy $500+ roll on bags either. After discovering this forum, I've managed to create yet another 'expensive hobby'.

3) Looking at the people here, I see intense passion for quality, build and convenience. I kind of related that to one of my other expensive hobbies - photography - where there is an excellent market for resale of used lenses - apparently they are not the same (I wonder if luggage is a more personal item than a lens - maybe that's why)

4) Nowadays, when I do look for new luggage, I do actually look at craigslist for a good deal - I never did that before. I still haven't ever picked up a used one (Again, telling I guess and to your point), but given that I am spending a good deal on this new interest, my mind is more open to it.

5) To clarify, I'm not talking of resale value for 'old' luggage. Rather 'used' luggage that is not very 'old' (1-2 years)

Originally Posted by kent1146
Always assume zero resale value.

In your entire life, have you (or anyone you know) ever considered buying used luggage, except perhaps at a garage sale?

If you have old luggage, then either give it away, or donate it (and use the value as a tax write-off).
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:07 pm

Yep. The last 3 bags I bought in 2013 cost: $340, $395, and $270. I looked for all 3 on eBay and Craigslist and struck out, so I paid full price. If I had found any one of these bags in used (but good-excellent condition), then I would have bought them.

As a matter of fact, the most recent piece of luggage that I bought cost $270 (new), but recently sold on eBay for $135. The condition was "excellent". The seller hardly used it and just wanted it out of the closet. I would have happily bought it if I had seen the auction before it expired.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:44 pm

Our local office of the state Department of Social and Health Services loves to get donated suitcases. Many of the kids in the foster care program have to use garbage bags when they move to a new home.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
yes, this is true.

Originally Posted by carole_d
Our local office of the state Department of Social and Health Services loves to get donated suitcases. Many of the kids in the foster care program have to use garbage bags when they move to a new home.
With the women in shelters it is a major issue as well. Bad enough to have to flee for one's life, trying to save the children and then having to put a few personal items in a trash bag.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I can't sell my Tumi Alpha Continental 20" although I would love to... it's really hard in Canada, I guess.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:56 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I only consider buying luggage (with frame) from people I know personally. That way I know how its been treated or whether someone's cat used it as a litter box.

Softcases that I can wash and decontaminate I will consider buying on ebay.

The only cases I know that have a near MSRP resale value are Tom Bihn bags.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl

The only cases I know that have a near MSRP resale value are Tom Bihn bags.
Really? Why is that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.