FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Did Costco discontinue the Kirkland Luggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1457221-did-costco-discontinue-kirkland-luggage.html)

kcmover Apr 10, 2013 11:38 am

Did Costco discontinue the Kirkland Luggage?

Looking for some additional 27" suit cases and have always bought the 27" kirkland black roller bag from Costco. They don't sell it anymore. What would be a high quality suitcase that can hold two suits that is equal to the quality that Costco had.

The luggage in the Costco stores now is junk. Not worth buying.

Thanks

mapsgl Apr 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I've seen the 21" Costco bag. Maybe check some other stores?

Also there have been Tumi and Briggs and Riley spotted frequently in Costco. Most people wouldn't call those junk.

Maps

kcmover Apr 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Tumi and Briggs are good suitcases. Costco still has the small one but not the large Kirkland.

I wonder who made it for costco. The reason I like the 27" one is the insert suit bag. most cases have one that is smaller and not as easy to use. not to mention being able to hold two suits and several shirts in the insert.

azepine00 Apr 11, 2013 9:20 am

They were on clearance with .97 tag the other day.
That bag while solid is awfully heavy...

gj83 Apr 11, 2013 9:23 am

I just bought the Ricardo Ladies 2-bag set from Costco. The zipper on the roller in kinda crappy so if it doesn't go well this week I'm taking it back.

I shouldn't have to fiddle with a zipper on a brand new bag!

oldpenny16 Apr 12, 2013 9:57 am

Just after spring break the luggage inventory at Costco's is always low.

Have you checked Costco online?

ctbarron Apr 12, 2013 11:53 am

Not sure where you are located, but the Costco in Chantilly, VA (near IAD) had two of the Kirkland 27" bags.

N1120A Apr 15, 2013 12:24 am

Originally Posted by kcmover (Post 20569043)
The luggage in the Costco stores now is junk. Not worth buying.

Thanks

Well, I would think their return policy would make even the junk useful.

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 20574126)
They were on clearance with .97 tag the other day.
That bag while solid is awfully heavy...

Weight is a huge problem with the Kirkland stuff.

JDiver Apr 16, 2013 3:05 am

Handy link to page with Costco baggage.

TravlnD Apr 16, 2013 6:12 am

Thankfully they offten have different items -- and different brands -- in the stores.

Also good that the stores carry 2 wheeled luggage. Spinners are great for a slow stroll through an airport, not so great for use on the streets (or worse over cobblestones, bumpy pathways, etc.) or if you are in a hurry and want to move quickly.

Frustrated by the "if two is good, four has to be better" mentality.

lewisc Apr 16, 2013 6:25 am

The current Kirkland bag is a polycarbonate bag made by Samsonite. My issue is with the size. It's almost exactly 62", packing dimension. It's a little over 64" when you count the wheels and handle. AA specifically includes the wheels and handles. AA charges $200 for an oversized bag. Makes no sense taking a chance. I spoke to the luggage buyer at COSTCO. She said the bag is the same size as previous bags, she's never had an issue using the bag and her contacts at the airlines told her wheels and handles aren't measured. She said they tell customers to check with their airline

*Please check with your airline for baggage restrictions and requirements.

I wouldn't try that with Spirit, not that I'd ever fly them. I'm not sure what I'd say if an AA clerk showed me the picture from their website while asking how I want to pay the $200 fee.

edited to add I copied this from the website description:

Total Overall Dimensions**:
31.5" L x 20.25" W x 12.5 H (Linear Dimension 64.25")

Other Kirkland bags are made by Ricardo, obviously to COSTCO's specifications.

I might give the $99 deal a shot. The bags are both the right size. COSTCO will take it back if the zipper is as bad as it appeared to the PP.

Lore Jun 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by lewisc (Post 20599546)
The current Kirkland bag is a polycarbonate bag made by Samsonite. My issue is with the size. It's almost exactly 62", packing dimension. It's a little over 64" when you count the wheels and handle. AA specifically includes the wheels and handles. AA charges $200 for an oversized bag. Makes no sense taking a chance. I spoke to the luggage buyer at COSTCO. She said the bag is the same size as previous bags, she's never had an issue using the bag and her contacts at the airlines told her wheels and handles aren't measured. She said they tell customers to check with their airline

I just bought one of these Costco hardshell suitcases and checked it in for a transatlantic flight with 1 connection without any problems. The best part? It survived the trip without losing any of its wheels, which was always happening with the other Costco spinner I had (manufactured by Ricardo of Beverly hills).

HGHUA Jul 20, 2020 3:59 am

Its been a year or two since Costco discontinued the latest iteration of their luggage. I'm still waiting on them to bring back a 2-wheeled version. The old ones I have are real workhorses, got a number of 27in, 22 in and even the 20 in they sold in taiwan.

They easily are just as good as my briggs and travel pro in my opinion... Regardless, I'm really hoping we see them again. Mine are starting to show their age and costco doesn't have any ways to repair worn out components.

tfred Jul 25, 2020 10:41 am

Originally Posted by HGHUA (Post 32544624)
Its been a year or two since Costco discontinued the latest iteration of their luggage. I'm still waiting on them to bring back a 2-wheeled version. The old ones I have are real workhorses, got a number of 27in, 22 in and even the 20 in they sold in taiwan.

They easily are just as good as my briggs and travel pro in my opinion... Regardless, I'm really hoping we see them again. Mine are starting to show their age and costco doesn't have any ways to repair worn out components.

I have an older 2 wheel carry on which is still great to use. Everything functions perfectly. It is heavier than what is made today but I didn't really care since I wasn't checking it (weight restrictions). The bigger Costco branded luggage would bee a problem these days due to the weight

calzonflyer Jun 2, 2023 7:50 am

I have had several two-wheel Costco carry ons for about 12 years and I love them. I purchased three at the time. The only problem I've had is that after about 3-4 years of steady travel, roughly three trips a month, the screw holes in the handles, where the two retaining screws hold the handled, would break. But now with my third and sadly my last bag, I discovered I could substantially reinforce the handle of a new bag before the handle screw holes starts to weaken. I unscrewed the two handle retaining screws, pulled out the handle and added epoxy around the part of the handle that inserts into the two metal pull poles so the pull force on the handle is not born solely by the two retaining screws and the screw holes in the plastic handle. Then I carefully reinserted the handle before the epoxy sets and resecured the two screws. This process has worked like a charm, and I've not had an issue with a handle since. I wish I had figured this out years ago.