Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Know any good headsets hat husband can watch movies & I can rest in silence?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

I'd love to get a pair of light weight, portable for travel headsets that are wireless so my husband can watch tv or movies in the cruise ship cabin or hotel room & I can be spared the sound. Does anyone know of a brand to buy, model number & approximate price, and vendor. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Most hotel and ship cabin TV does not have audio output to plug the base/transmitter of these units in.

I have Sennheiser RS 120 which I use @home in my bedroom. Bought them when it was Amazon goldbox deal for $27
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
What YOU need is a good set of sound isolating earplugs, or a separate room/cabin!

I second the advice above about being able to fix a transmitter to any or every hotel or cruise tv.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by antichef
What YOU need is a good set of sound isolating earplugs, or a separate room/cabin!

I second the advice above about being able to fix a transmitter to any or every hotel or cruise tv.
Thanks for both of your responses! I really appreciate it. Do you know of a good sound isolating ear plugs? That would be great if there's hallway noise or noise from someone else's balcony.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by konaflyer
I'd love to get a pair of light weight, portable for travel headsets that are wireless so my husband can watch tv or movies in the cruise ship cabin or hotel room & I can be spared the sound. Does anyone know of a brand to buy, model number & approximate price, and vendor. Thanks for your help!
Actually, I find if a TV is flatscreen, there are the appropriate outputs you can plug these headsets in. I know because I actively look at the back of TVs in hotels to find HDMI inputs to plug in my laptop.

For a TV, you can use something like this. It doesn't have to be that, but it gives you an idea.

If your husband is a bit more of a techie and will bring his own laptop or tablet, you can use a Bluetooth headphone like this or this. The beauty about these two models is that you can plug in whatever headphone you prefer.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Hi Braindrain, That's great news about the flat screens. Did you mean to embed examples in your post?
"For a TV, you can use something like this. It doesn't have to be that, but it gives you an idea.

If your husband is a bit more of a techie and will bring his own laptop or tablet, you can use a Bluetooth headphone like this or this. The beauty about these two models is that you can plug in whatever headphone you prefer."

I'd love to hear more. We will be bringing an iPad on the trip but often to hotels I bring my Macbook Pro. What cables or adaptors do I need to bring or will the headsets have them all? Looking forward to your reply.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Yes, I meant to embed links in my post.

With the ipad or macbook, you can (of course) plug in regular headphones. However, if they have Bluetooth, you can use Bluetooth enabled headphones and be (somewhat) free of cables - at least those running to the device. There's nothing more to buy. Enable Bluetooth on your device, sync it, and you're good to go. However, do keep in mind that using Bluetooth will be a bit more of a drain on your battery than if you just plugged in headphones directly.

I like the Sony ones as they allow the freedom for you to choose whatever headphones you like to use. Many other brands/models are an "all in one" unit where you cannot change the headphones.

As for the example about using RF headphones hooked up to a TV, most flatscreen TVs in hotels these days have the necessary outputs (usually RCA plugs) to hook those up. And, most headphones include those RCA cables. If not, it's a quick trip to your local dollar store. The only time I found where I couldn't hook up my cables to a flatscreen TV was when it was flush-mounted to a wall. I just couldn't physically get to the back.

Now, if you want to get really fancy, you could hook up your Bluetooth headphones to your macbook and output HDMI to the flatscreen. Turn down the flatscreen to "0" volume and listen to the audio output via the headphones. Of course, I don't know if this will work for all models of laptops so it's best you test it out at home before trying it on the road.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
If you are set for a particular cruise you could contact the company and ask what type of set they provide and the plugs that are accessible in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.