Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Sell Tumi 26" and buy Eagle Creek 26"?

Old Mar 27, 13, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

I have been a Tumi user for sometime, my primary bags are my 26" and 22" rollers. I am impressed however with the current offerings out there. I am considering selling my Tumi 26" 22026

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Wheeled-.../dp/B001XCX6ZA

and buying the Eagle Creek 26" Load Warrior:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/load-warr...ffel-25/d/1235

Pro's:
Eagle Creeks Warranty is better, although Tumi has never given me problems, technically they could refuse to service my bag
Eagle Creek is much lighter
Eagle Creek is more modern, they seem to deploy a good bit of technology, lots of pull handles, features

Just wanted to sanity check this and get the groups opinion. To me, Tumi is more fashion today than function. At one time it was truly a leader, but I feel they are lagging. I could probably sell my 26" which is well taken care of, for around $350, which would give me plenty to buy the Eagle Creek.

Thoughts? Any other similar to the Eagle Creek I should look at? I thought about RedOxx and Tom Bihn, and really love both of them, but not sure on 26" if I could give up the wheels, maybe on my 22" (which is the next to consider swapping out). I am looking at the Osprey stuff too, also looks very well made.
Old Mar 27, 13, 1:56 pm

After much shopping for a lightweight bag, I just pulled the trigger on a Load Warrior 22.

Do you pack breakables or other things which could be damaged in a soft sided bag? Also, if you haven't used a bag with a bottom hinge, you might want to try test packing one. I prefer a long side hinge so I can use suitcase by orienting a luggage rack long edge against the wall, unzipping, and propping the lid against a wall. I could do that with the bottom open if I re-oriented the luggage rack short side against the wall or just live with the lid flapping over the side. Luggage which opens in a 50/50 or 40/60 split don't work for me as it takes up too much horizontal space to access (bed, floor, table, etc).

Extra handles/straps might get caught in luggage conveyors.
Old Mar 27, 13, 2:43 pm

Bear in mind Eagle Creek has three levels of warranties (no matter what, lifetime and limited). This bag is in the middle category. If you are really worried about durability and warranty, one of their heavier duty no matter what bags would make sense.

I'm thinking about getting this bag in 22" size; not really worried about warranty as I plan to carry on. At a larger size, will need to be checked in and will be heavier -- therefore more prone to damage and abuse.
Old Mar 27, 13, 4:41 pm

eBags's own brand is really well made and has a lifetime warranty. I have an older version of the eTech. You can't tell from the picture, but the upper layer has stiff supports that fold up and snap into place to protect contents or fold down to reinforce the bottom of the top layer. It rolls easily and never tips over, even when full, with a flexible organization that makes it easy to configure and to find stuff.
Old Mar 27, 13, 7:06 pm

Megn, I was going to mention eBags' products as well, then looked at the weight. In 25" version, the eBags is about four pounds heavier than the Eagle Creek offering. It may not be important in a check-in bag and the eBags is $100 less. People have said that eBags' warranty service on the eBags brand is good.
Old Mar 27, 13, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rusearch View Post
Megn, I was going to mention eBags' products as well, then looked at the weight. In 25" version, the eBags is about four pounds heavier than the Eagle Creek offering. It may not be important in a check-in bag and the eBags is $100 less. People have said that eBags' warranty service on the eBags brand is good.
Eagle Creek Tarmac 25, ORV and Adventure 25 are all 3 - 4 pounds heavier than the Load Warrior. Those three also have the famous Eagle Creek no matter what warranty. The lighter Eagle Creek Load Warrior only has a lifetime warranty against defects -- damage from the airlines, etc. is excluded.

If you are checking, you may want to consider a heavier and more sturdy bag. The lightweights make sense for carry on; not sure if you want to give to a baggage handler a heavily packed lightly built bag that will be thrown around.

Ebags has a great warranty, like the Eagle Creek no matter what.
Old Mar 27, 13, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Thanks for all the help in this thread. I am looking at some of the suggestions and carefully considering the warranty.

I weighed my Tumi 26" today with nothing in it, and it was 16.25lbs!!! I didn't realize just how heavy it is. Of course it can take a beating.
Old Mar 28, 13, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bfeeny View Post
Thanks for all the help in this thread. I am looking at some of the suggestions and carefully considering the warranty.

I weighed my Tumi 26" today with nothing in it, and it was 16.25lbs!!! I didn't realize just how heavy it is. Of course it can take a beating.
The EC Load Warrior is a 25" bag, not a 26".
Old Mar 28, 13, 10:59 pm

Depends on your mode of travel. If you routinely use your 26" bag on travel outside an airplane where you are lifting it, pulling it long distances, etc... then the sacrifice of durability for lower weight might make sense.

For checked use on airplanes at 25"/26" you aren't going to have an issue with a 50lb maximum, so the heavier duty/more durable/better warranty bags seem like better choices.
Old Mar 31, 13, 5:37 pm

If you need the cash from the Tumi to purchase the Eagle Creek, I wouldn't whip out your CC just yet.

I have been trying to sell a set (as a group or individually) of nearly perfect condition (barely used) 2x26" Tumi Alpha's (same as yours) and 1 Long Wheeled Garment Alpha on craigslist for a great price for months now.

Not a single bite.

(After getting my EC 22" inch Tarmac + a stacking duffle for longer trips, I never used the Tumi again)
Old Apr 2, 13, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by bfeeny View Post

That's pathetic! I am also finding it that Tumi is simply not worth the money! For same price, or even less, you can get a super nice Rimowa luggage which weighs half!

Search this Thread