Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How to avoid to check in luggage?

Old Mar 24, 13, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

how do you avoid to check in any luggage on 2-3 night trips?

For daily business I like my Tumi Wheeled Brief with Laptop Case.

Since I have to travel more (1-3 nights) Im looking for an add on to the Tumi so I can avoid checking in any luggage at all. All the carry ons just concentrate on one piece but I still have to have my stuff for daily business.

So why add the Tumi on to something and not add something on to the (small) Tumi??

The add-on should contain the following:

- 1 Suit
- 2 Business Shirts / ties
- 2 Shirts
- casual Shirt
- casual pants
- Basics (socks......)
- Shoes
- maybe some sporting gear

- 3-1-1 bag & electronics will go to the Tumi

Im looking forward to your suggestions!
Old Mar 24, 13, 11:05 pm

Looking at the layout and the dimension of the Tumi, I actually think you can fit your list in there. IMHO, it's really a matter of how you pack and what to pack.

Check out the master packing thread for ideas.
Old Mar 25, 13, 5:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Agree on the suggestion to review the master packing thread. The TUMI bumps up against the maximum allowed carryon so your additional bag will need to be within the parameters of a personal item, which many airlines don't define, but which seems to be in the 36-37 inch linear range.

Nevertheless, at some point, the avoidance of checked baggage requires a traveler to learn how to pack lighter. You may not expect to carry extensive business wear, casual wear, multiple pairs of shoes, sporting equipment, and several items of technology in a carryon and a personal item without making serious decisions about cutting out items or finding suitable, smaller replacements.
Old Mar 25, 13, 6:50 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
People talk about how they are going to 'Clooney it' through life. That is, not get married (even though he did). Well, when it comes to avoiding checked luggage and packing everything in a cabin trolley, people talking about how they are going to 'Ryan Bingham it'. Here's the thread where I (and others) talk about getting your life - or even two or three days - into a cabin trolley.
Old Apr 1, 13, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everybody,

thanks for your reply. I guess I can manage 1-2 nights just with the Tumi. But lets think about two other options: a) taking the ICE (high speed train) or b) flying business where it will be ok to take a second piece of luggage.

Which bag would you use as an add-on for some more clothes (sporting gear / suit)?

I looked at some of the Tom Bihn bags, but they all seem to be quite bulky.
Old Apr 1, 13, 5:30 pm

If you're talking about taking the ICE, then I'm guessing that you're talking about European train stations. It was my experience that elevators and escalators are often missing in stations and the trains themselves had steps up from the platform. I'd recommend soft luggage, as light as I could find, to make all of the stairs easier. The wheels often double the weight of the bag. Personally, I like being able to wear a backpack and free my hands. The sticky at the top of the forum has a lot of good recommendations for very light bags.
Old Apr 1, 13, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssieben View Post
I guess I can manage 1-2 nights just with the Tumi
you need to start with evaluating that statement
Old Apr 1, 13, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG, National
Originally Posted by Ory View Post
People talk about how they are going to 'Clooney it' through life. That is, not get married (even though he did). Well, when it comes to avoiding checked luggage and packing everything in a cabin trolley, people talking about how they are going to 'Ryan Bingham it'. Here's the thread where I (and others) talk about getting your life - or even two or three days - into a cabin trolley.
Have never once in my entire life heard someone mention the phrases "Clooney it" through life or "Ryan Bingham it." And I was the better for it. Until now.

Search this Thread