FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Best Digital Luggage Scale (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1447737-best-digital-luggage-scale.html)

simba8 Mar 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Best Digital Luggage Scale

Looking for a new scale for my luggage.
Im hoping someone has located one that takes either - AA or AAA- batteries NOT CR2032 (tends to die very quickly, even if I take them out of the scale) and is digital, good quality etc. Should be compact enough to travel with me.

I noticed Brookstone had the following
http://www.brookstone.com/Digital-Lu...cess|L1_Travel
Any others?

cordelli Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

I was in a TJ Maxx on Sunday and they had a barrel full of digital scales for between five and ten bucks (at least the ones I looked at). Most were very small. No clue what batteries they took, though for the price difference you could buy a lot of replacement batteries over the $30 ones.

piper28 Mar 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by simba8 (Post 20415504)
NOT CR2032 (tends to die very quickly, even if I take them out of the scale)

Really? I've been using a fish scale myself for luggage (check your local sporting goods section), but the one I have uses 2032 (or something similar), and I definitely wouldn't say the battery life is short. I did have to replace the batteries recently, but that was after several years.

RevJim Mar 13, 2013 9:05 pm

I find that with any luggage scale, I need them so rarely that by the time I want to use it the batteries are dead. Or in the case of AA/AAA batteries, they leak inside the unit and fry the electronics.

So now what I do is, whenever I need a scale (about once per year) I go to a local mega store and buy the cheapest bathroom scale. Usually you can find one under $10 like this one.

To use it you weigh yourself, then weigh yourself again holding your luggage. Simple subtraction and you know how much your suitcase weighs.

If I have the room to spare I'll pack the scale home. If not I just leave it in the hotel bathroom.

dko3tgk Mar 13, 2013 9:26 pm

I have the same request. One with either AA or AAA. I travel with Eneloops and compact charger for my travel flashlight, and backup phone battery charger. So I would want a small digital luggage scale that took the same Eneloop AA or AAA. And to RevJim's need, Eneloops last years without losing their charge if not used.
I currently have a Travelon scale that I got at a company Christmas party, but its a little big, its starting to break after boucing around the inside of many bags, and the spring is starting to wear out. So i think small digital with less moving parts is the way to go.And would prefer AA, AAA for convenience and ease of replacement.

mapsgl Mar 14, 2013 4:22 am

For those that don't use frequently, Why not remove the batteries from the scale in between uses?

simba8 Mar 14, 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mapsgl (Post 20417243)
For those that don't use frequently, Why not remove the batteries from the scale in between uses?

I've bought both dollar store and Duracell versions of this battery- they start to drain after the first intial use. Even removing them after using, they die quickly. I find that for travelling, especially in some locations, they arent the easiest (or cheapest) to find. Sure I can buy a bunch and travel with extras, but I am at the point where there has to be an easier way.

Originally Posted by RevJim (Post 20416139)
To use it you weigh yourself, then weigh yourself again holding your luggage. Simple subtraction and you know how much your suitcase weighs.

If I have the room to spare I'll pack the scale home. If not I just leave it in the hotel bathroom.

Yes, I recall this exercise..still do it some times, but not something I really want to do anymore.

fillalph Mar 14, 2013 9:25 am

While this isn't what you are looking for (it takes 2x CR2032), I can say that the batteries last a really long time, the measurement appears to be accurate (ie. if the bag says 69lbs, I have never had to repack at checkin) and it can take a lot of abuse. Heys xScale

I travel with 2x 70lb pelican cases plus 1x personal bag for work and it is usually lodge in the pelican case. It just keeps on ticking. Costco has sold it before for ~ 15CDN.

stiwi Mar 23, 2013 10:52 am

I am using Salter luggage scale:
http://www.purenature24.co.uk/suitcase-scale

Great accuracy. Takes one CR2032 which lasts approx. one year depending on the usage, but I always carry with me a spare CR2032 just in case.

duniawala Aug 12, 2013 12:47 pm

AAA battery operated luggage scale

Sometime ago, there was a poster looking for a digital luggage scale running on AAA batteries. I came across one at www.eztravelscale.com. I bought one and it is so much better than what is currently on the market. It is realy simple to use.

RevJim Aug 12, 2013 11:08 pm

I think the discussion you are referring to is this one here regarding AAA luggage scales.