Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I love this bag from Skooba

http://www.amazon.com/Skooba-Design-...eywords=skooba
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
In terms of clothes, I only brought one pair of pants and shoes (the ones I was wearing). No worries, I brought seven pairs of underwear, socks, and shirts. Also in my backpack was a thick, long-sleeved shirt that I use as a coat, and a baseball cap. All clothes are rolled up, including the socks. I probably had a few miscellaneous items in the outer pocket of the backpack (pens, papers, etc.).
Indeed. Its illogical to carry a new shirt and new trousers for each day. I do the same too - 2 shirts at most for a 5 day trip, but enough underwear.
On that note, this is the first trip that I've carried my Icebreaker 200 base layer - its an amazing product - dries very quickly and true to word, no odor. I've kept in on at 35 degrees as well as 73 degrees - did not feel uncomforable. I am in the Bay Area now (California), and with this one base layer, I've not had to wear jackets on top in the evenings or mornings. I think this will reduce my undergarment weight (top) by quite a bit because I don't need to carry a new top for each day.

Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
Two potential disqualifiers from ninja status:
1.) I carried another thick shirt (aka coat) for potential use on the plane, in the airport, etc., and as another layer in Seattle (October trip). And when I say "carried," I pull it through one of the arm straps and it hangs below my armpit, leaving my hands free.
Oh no, that is completely fine. Given that I am the supreme high-priest doling out Ninja status in this thread, you have thusly been Ninja-fied for life (Wait, that was too generous. Lets start with one year and we will review each year ). You must now make a divine promise to invest all your life savings into buying things that other flyertalk members recommend, even though you will probably never need them

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I fill up a small leakproof Nalgene jar (.5 OZ or 1OZ I think) with the shave cream. I refill this jar before reach trip from the original tube.
http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin...ywords=proraso
Interesting. The largest item I carry is my small shaving foam can - this can reduce it further. Now I took at look at that link. Directions say 'lather on race' - what on earth is 'lather on race' ?

Originally Posted by shootingrubber
- iPhone with noise isolating earphones (noise cancelling earphones are too bulky for my travel style)
Why do you say so? I think the only additional bulk they have is a small rectangular unit that clips onto your clothes. Is that what you are referring to as bulky?

Originally Posted by sarfa33
I'm also in the market for a new pair of traveling earbuds (preferably active noise canceling), so all suggestions are welcome! arjunrc, how do you like yours?
I quite like my AT - I replaced its earbuds with the air-buds memory foam. That makes it much more comfortable for extended use (really really more comfortable), but I think it reduces the quality of audio compared to its original earbuds. I am fine with that - I am not really looking for awesome sound quality while in a flight. The net result of comfort + active noise cancellation is much more important.

Originally Posted by ilovesprint
Are you able to stuff in a week's worth of clothes + laptop in this? Looks very compact

Originally Posted by vikmurthy
+1 on the Proraso shave cream. I use the Sensitive skin version, and, like LordHamster, I scoop some out and put into a small round plastic container that is close to the size of a contact lens holder.
how many days worth of shaving do you get with such a small sized container?

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA XP, HH. Global Entry, Pre-Check
Smile

My husband (a true travel Ninja) gave up shaving creme years ago. He uses the hair conditioner supplied by the hotels - says it gives him a really smooth shave. One more item eliminated from the one quart ziplock.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Hair conditioner does work as a shaving cream, at least for this woman.

An interesting product is some hotels is the combination shampoo and conditioner that does an even better job.

IceBreaker is an impressive product line. I seldom wash it during the course of a trip, but hang up items of IceBreaker to air out over night. Works a charm and saves effort.

I sleep in IceBreaker as well, but did you really need to know that?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, AC 'nobody anymore'.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
For shaving tips, the best source is the Badger & Blade forum. However, I can share what I do.

I travel with "Bic Metal" disposable razors in my kit. I then use Proraso shave cream to shave. Proraso can be purchased on Amazon or via Bath & Body Works under the name of CO Bigelow.

I fill up a small leakproof Nalgene jar (.5 OZ or 1OZ I think) with the shave cream. I refill this jar before reach trip from the original tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin...ywords=proraso

In the past I've also used Shave sticks from Speick and Tabac. However most shave sticks are a bit heavy/messy for travel.

PS. For Mirror/Steam. Smear a little soap onto a a mirror, wash off with a splash of water. There you go. Instant fog-free mirror.

For a travel mirror I use: http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8501-...camping+mirror

Because it is so smooth, usually it will "stick" to just about any shower wall. If it doesn't, a piece of floss is enough to suspend it from the shower curtain rod.
Thanks to this post I just spent 3 hours learning about wet shaving with DE Razors, and am now about to turn my shaving world upside down.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:09 am
Original Poster

In an effort to save further space, I've decided to try the Pacific Shaving oil. My gel can is the biggest unit in my shaving kit - so if I can cut its size, I'll have a flatter front pocket in my bag.

I've also gone ahead and ordered the Skiva charger - while it won't save more space, I can replace the edimax charger in my Gridit with this one - I can charge the edimax plus power my other devices in one box.

The proraso was looking great, till I read you need a shaving brush to apply it - I don't carry a shaving brush - I currently use gel that I can apply by hand. Lets see if the oil is really as good as they say (100 shaves in this little bottle)

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:22 am

I use Shave Secret, tiny bottle and lasts forever. Closest shave I've ever had. Use it all the time including when at home.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by arjunrc
In an effort to save further space, I've decided to try the Pacific Shaving oil. My gel can is the biggest unit in my shaving kit - so if I can cut its size, I'll have a flatter front pocket in my bag.

The proraso was looking great, till I read you need a shaving brush to apply it - I don't carry a shaving brush - I currently use gel that I can apply by hand. Lets see if the oil is really as good as they say (100 shaves in this little bottle)

Proraso is great. I use it at home. You can use it on the road without a brush. Many on the Badger and Brush forum use Kiss My Face for travel. I KMF is relatively inexpensive, doesn't need a brush. The travel size is 3.4 oz. I found I just need to dispense some into a small container for most of my trips.

Try the oil at home before you take it on the road. Most of them "gunk' up your razor.

Maps
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:01 pm

I love the thread.
Men's shaving: For sensitive skin types: I recommend going to your local retail pharmacy and buying liquid Vitamin E oil 30,000 IU. It's in a screw-top cap and I use it as a pre-shave. I learned that the art of shaving "pre-shave" oil is essentially Vitamin E. When I travel, I follow this with American Crew shaving lotion and finish with their post-shave healer. The latter two are often in the travel size section of the pharmacy, but larger ones can be bought and the bottles refilled.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by mapsgl
Proraso is great. I use it at home. You can use it on the road without a brush. Many on the Badger and Brush forum use Kiss My Face for travel. I KMF is relatively inexpensive, doesn't need a brush. The travel size is 3.4 oz. I found I just need to dispense some into a small container for most of my trips.

Try the oil at home before you take it on the road. Most of them "gunk' up your razor.

Maps
Yes. I stopped using oil for this very reason.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapsgl

Maps
Thanks. This was one of the many threads I read that said proraso really needs a brush. Yes, I do plan to test this oil @ home first.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I have been using oliveology. There is a travel size, it doesn't gunk up my razor, I can see my beard better than with cream and it gives a comfortable shave.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:41 pm

Why do you say so? I think the only additional bulk they have is a small rectangular unit that clips onto your clothes. Is that what you are referring to as bulky?
They're usually much bigger. Earbuds or over-ear. I prefer earbuds, but that's just me.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I use Kiss My Face at home and on the road, really like the stuff. I usually take the travel size when traveling but reading the posts, I would like to use a smaller container. Any ideas what would be good to check out?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG, National
how many days worth of shaving do you get with such a small sized container?
Easily over a week's worth. I'd personally estimate 10-14 days worth.

I have found that the Proraso lathers up beautifully in the palm with sufficient amounts of warm water. I then apply a generous sheen to my face and take it from there.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

P.S. I use identical small round containers (roughly 1.5 inch diameter) for Mitchum deodorant and Nivea moisturizing lotion (procured from the amenity bag of an overseas flight). I have found it to be the most important step in downsizing my toiletry case.

Last edited by vikmurthy; Mar 20, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.