FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Largest bag that qualifies as a "personal item" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1437200-largest-bag-qualifies-personal-item.html)

homardpoilu Feb 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Largest bag that qualifies as a "personal item"

Greetings,

Facts/background:

1. I travel mainly within North America as well as Europe. It is a mix of business/economy depending on the trip. I never check luggage. I mostly travel for business and need to pack suites. I also pack runners and gym.

2. My current set up is a Tumi alpha (predecessor of Lightweight Continental Carry-On 21.5 inches) and an Expandable Organizer Laptop Brief. I use the latter to carry my laptop/ipad, files, pens, chargers, headsets, etc. compact umbrella, ties, contact lenses solutions, etc. and any other clothing I can manage to stuff in.

3. I am looking to buy new bags and where I struggle the most is to find the perfect personal item. When travelling on a CRJ, I am resigned to the fact that I will need to check my carry on most of the time, so my second piece of luggage must qualify as a personal item.

4. I am looking for a bag that is light, expandable, has a conservative look so that I can take it to business meetings (no backpack or funky colors, etc.). I would like that bag to be as big as possible so that I can use to it store extra clothes or bring extra documents.

Price is not an issue, I just want to find the best bag for my needs that qualifies as a personal item (at least in North America). The new version of the Tumi I now have still looks like a good compromise. I have also been looking at the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid Notebook Briefcase.

Would you have any other suggestions? My apologies for the long message, but the more information you have, the easier it is to make relevant suggestions. Thanks for reading this.

ChezFran Feb 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Rimowa

I just got back from a 12 day trip to Maui with a personal item sized Rimowa bag and it was perfect. The bag is in the Topas line, it's called the Mini Trolley.

Item Number 920.42.00.2
I purchased it from Koffer24.de for a great price.

http://www.koffer24.de/shop/de/de/pr...?filter=detail

I am normally a light packer but this is the smallest bag I have ever used for more than a week. I found it to be perfect. It fit under the seat and held 2 swimsuits, shirts, a cover-up, iPad mini, flip flops, a camera and my ziplock bag of toiletries. My husband used a Travelpro business case but it didn't go as far under the seat as it should have.

Another bag that I considered was the Tom Bihn Super EGO. This will probably the next bag we purchase for my husband.

http://www.tombihn.com/laptop_bags/TB0825.html

IflyfromABE Feb 10, 2013 5:23 pm

My personal item these days is the High Sierra Swerve backpack. I travel with 2 laptops and has space and holders for both; so a large pack is a must. Published dimensions: H 19" x W 8.5" x L 13". 4 compartments, plus side pockets good for a waterbottle and a paperback. It does fit under the seat in both mainline and RJ/Rprops.

BTW My Regional carry on is a Red Oxx Aviator small, which fits in all RJ/Rprop overhead bins (other than the left side of F in CRJs that have F).

Looks like this:

http://www.motivators.com/images/pro...k805037551.jpg

homardpoilu Feb 11, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks for your replies, but I cannot bring the bags you suggested to a business meeting. So far, the best bag seems to be the B&R 231X, if you have other suggestions, please let me know.

bonuspay Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by homardpoilu (Post 20226333)
Thanks for your replies, but I cannot bring the bags you suggested to a business meeting. So far, the best bag seems to be the B&R 231X, if you have other suggestions, please let me know.

I'd say that 231X looks like a good choice for your needs. I use a Victorinox Standard Brief which is very similar to the 231X in its size and style.

RoyalDutch Feb 11, 2013 1:53 pm

What about the Rimowa Topas Business (2WL or MW)? I use it as my main mobile office. Also for 1-2 day business trips.
In case of longer trips I stack it up onto my Topas Cabin MW.

homardpoilu Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalDutch (Post 20227596)
What about the Rimowa Topas Business (2WL or MW)? I use it as my main mobile office. Also for 1-2 day business trips.
In case of longer trips I stack it up onto my Topas Cabin MW.

Thanks. I though that rimova exceeds the 36 linear inches requirement that many airlines have with respect to personal items. Is this a recent model that perhaps I have not seen?

arjunrc Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by homardpoilu (Post 20221698)
Greetings,

2. My current set up is a Tumi alpha (predecessor of Lightweight Continental Carry-On 21.5 inches) and an Expandable Organizer Laptop Brief. I use the latter to carry my laptop/ipad, files, pens, chargers, headsets, etc. compact umbrella, ties, contact lenses solutions, etc. and any other clothing I can manage to stuff in.

Looking at what you currently carry, might I suggest the gate 8 tri fold bag with a zip away laptop bag. It might replace your two items to one (well its two, but they stick together ;-)
I did a detailed review of it. I am going on my first trip tomorrow with it :-D
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...aptop-bag.html

Its probably not the largest carry-on, but will meet your quest for professional looking with a lovely twist. You can zip out just the laptop bag for your meetings and keep the other part in your car. Or, you can wheel it along - its not as big as other garment bags and looks quite expensive/professional.

RoyalDutch Feb 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by homardpoilu (Post 20227712)
Thanks. I though that rimova exceeds the 36 linear inches requirement that many airlines have with respect to personal items. Is this a recent model that perhaps I have not seen?

I take it with me all the time with no problems. Even with the more strict European airlines;)

Ory Feb 12, 2013 7:19 am

I try to take something that can fit inside the upper section of a cabin trolley, and if not, then on top of it or over the shoulder. Basically a small leather duffel or messenger would do it.

LordHamster Feb 12, 2013 9:14 am

For the "personal" item, it all boils down to perception. I've found most FAs and GAs in the US consider a purse, backpack or messenger bag to be a "personal" item regardless how large.

The unwritten rule seems to be if they see wheels, it isn't the personal item.

homardpoilu Feb 16, 2013 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bonuspay (Post 20227103)
I'd say that 231X looks like a good choice for your needs. I use a Victorinox Standard Brief which is very similar to the 231X in its size and style.

Thanks for your replies. So far, it seems that the 231X or the Victorinox Standard Brief are the best suggestions for something I can bring into a corporate boardroom.

pierre mclopez Feb 16, 2013 9:44 pm

The B&R U116 is sometimes discussed in Travel Products. Would this rolling cabin bag qualify?

See One bag to rule them all.....

chx1975 Feb 16, 2013 10:10 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...underseat.html

edweird Feb 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 20222552)
My personal item these days is the High Sierra Swerve backpack.

I use the same with excellent results. Mine was a give away and has a computer OEMs logo on the outside. I've never gotten a second look or been questioned about it.

Yes, I'd like something that looked more business like, but usually my peers are also using nylon backpacks, so it's not out of place for me.