Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Kettle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Travel Kettle

Any suggestions? For those of us who need tea, a few cups in the morning before you set foot outside, a cup in the evening when you settle in. Metal preferable but must of course be light. One that can be used in different countries is preferable, though at the very minimum, one for the US only.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A couple of previous threads on it. If it's only to heat a cup of water, you really can't beat the immersion heaters for cost, speed, and size. Of course, they are also a bit more dangerous

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...el-kettle.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ic-kettle.html
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Immersion heater is the way to go. Takes close to no space, weighs next to nothing & dirt cheap. Just remember, that you literally can't turn your head while using. Plug one in without water (or if it falls out of the mug you are using to heat the water, and they catch fire very quickly.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I use a dual voltage immersion heater, carry along my own cups, tea and fixings.

I used to travel with an actual water boiler pot (I packed the tea stuff inside it) but finally it failed and I couldn't find another as good.

I understand the need.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I pack the Bodum 17 oz when I have the space. The heating element detaches from the base.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bodum---...&skuId=2091129
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaxbill
I pack the Bodum 17 oz when I have the space. The heating element detaches from the base.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bodum---...&skuId=2091129
I'll go look in BestBuy tomorrow when I'm near one. I hope it's not too big.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:42 pm

Try this page for options:
http://nordicgroup.us/hotelcooking/

I travel with an immersion heater and an insulated steel bottle/Thermos to cook the water in. 240 V immersion heater if I'm going to parts that take it and 120 for the others instead of a dual voltage heater. Also keep in mind that there's no auto-off sensor immersion heaters and you should unplug it once water is at the desired temperature. They fit in the Kleen Kanteen insulated 12 oz bottles. I do have the Narita air pot and one of the inexpensive electric hot pots but the immersion heater does the job in a lot less space.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Looked at reviews for the Narita Hot Pot water kettle and they're terrible.

http://www.amazon.com/Narita-Interna...narita+air+pot

This one too

http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Matic-EHP.../dp/B002DUCC8S

I'm afraid I'll forget the immersion heater. I'm absent minded, unfortunately.

Can you put an immersion heater in a titanium mug?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by littlesheep
I'm afraid I'll forget the immersion heater. I'm absent minded, unfortunately.

Can you put an immersion heater in a titanium mug?
Just buy a few immersion heaters at once. They're inexpensive compared to a serious tea habit Maybe keep it in a brightly colored eyeglass/pencil case?

You can put an immersion heater in a titanium mug as long as the coil at the tip remains covered with liquid. I'd get the double walled mug, though, since the single walled mug can get pretty hot with hot water poured into it.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Just buy a few immersion heaters at once. They're inexpensive compared to a serious tea habit Maybe keep it in a brightly colored eyeglass/pencil case?

You can put an immersion heater in a titanium mug as long as the coil at the tip remains covered with liquid. I'd get the double walled mug, though, since the single walled mug can get pretty hot with hot water poured into it.
What happens if the coil gets exposed? Are we talking core meltdown?

Seriously, what are the physics of this? If there's no water then you start a fire? Or can you get electrocuted or something...?

I'm really absent minded. it's a problem. Is the hotel going to burn down?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:38 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
There are basically 2 types of kettles/water heaters, the ones that have some sort of safety feature/thermostat that auto switch off and the ones that don't. which one is better depends on your needs and how you plan to use it. For the average traveler in areas with relatively safe tap water, a kettle that has the auto-shut off feature when the water comes to a boil is perfect. If you fall asleep or are absent minded this is a really nice thing to have.

For those that travel in areas where they have to rely on the kettle to boil the water long enough so that it can be safe to drink, kettles without the auto shut-off feature is better. The reason there are such a large number of negative reviews for these kettles without an auto-shut-off feature is that the person using it most likely forgot about it or left it boiling too long. For this type of kettle, it's best to use some sort of timer to remind yourself when the water has boiled long enough and to avoid the kettle overheating/boiling dry.

As for immersion heaters, most have an auto-off safety switch built into them. The trick here is to unplug the heater and wait a few seconds before taking the heater out of the water. If you take the heater out before unplugging, or take it out too soon after unplugging, the simple sensor will cause the heater to automatically shut-off. As there is no reset switch in something this inexpensive and simple, you've just killed your immersion heater and will need to get a new one.

For short trips and if I'm traveling solo, then my immersion heater is usually stashed somewhere in my bag along with cup or travel mug. For longer trips, if I'm traveling with a buddy or if having hot water is essential to my day then I bring a small dual-voltage travel kettle such as the Kenwood dual-voltage kettle, the Austin House dual-voltage kettle or even my Sanyo dual-voltage cooker. Overall my favourites in terms of ease of use are my small travel kettles mentioned above. The Sanyo cooker is nice when you need to cook something as well and don't want any leftover flavours making their way into your tea.

A note on purchasing kettles and other dual-voltage electronics online: most items have a European or British plug and may or may not come with a small set of international plug adapters. The Austin House kettle mentioned above and usually anything from Japan or Taiwan have US-style 2-prong plugs.

Last edited by tcl; Sep 30, 2013 at 11:20 am Reason: correction
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by tcl
For short trips and if I'm traveling solo, then my immersion heater is usually stashed somewhere in my bag along with cup or travel mug. For longer trips, if I'm traveling with a buddy or if having hot water is essential to my day then I bring a small dual-voltage travel kettle such as the Kenwood dual-voltage kettle, the Austin House dual-voltage kettle or even my Sanyo dual-voltage cooker. Overall my favourites in terms of ease of use are my small travel kettles mentioned above. The Sanyo cooker is nice when you need to cook something as well and don't want any leftover flavours making their way into your tea.
I love the Sanyo travel cooker (http://mamakuqis.blogspot.com/2010/0...r-is-here.html) too for hot water/coffee/tea/soup/food but since my last one "walked" away, I have not been able to find a replacement. From what I can tell, it has been discontinued. There are a host of lookalikes from no-name companies and I got one of them but it is not the same. Not well made, pot warped, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
The reason there are such a large number of negative reviews for these kettles without an auto-shut-off feature is that the person using it most likely forgot about it or left it boiling too long...
Thank you for the very thorough and helpful explanation! ^
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by littlesheep
I'll go look in BestBuy tomorrow when I'm near one. I hope it's not too big.
If I am checking luggage, I have no problems with the Bodum in my B&R 20" luggage in expanded mode. I don't think it will fit if I am carrying on with my luggage in the collapsed mode.

The exact measurements are on Bodum's site but it's not terribly large if you compare it to carrying a 16 ounce ceramic coffee mug for an immersion heater. This was the tipping point for me. I realized I can't use the immersion heater in the paper or Styrofoam cups provided by the hotel. This forced me to pack a tall mug with it for the boiling process.

The Bodum is still ultimately larger but it eliminates a lot of hassle. The immersion heater had a lot of rules about how to prevent it from burning out.

Also, Bodum is a pretty reliable brand. I bought at Zappos since they have a generous return policy. Amazon.com's price was higher than retail but Zappos was right at $50.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I thought this was going to be a WN complaint thread....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.