Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Clean/Lubricate Rimowa wheels?

Old Jan 18, 13, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member

So I just bought a Salsa cabin spinner and am taking it on its first trip. After going through some light snow I think the wheels must have picked up some sand/salt from the street as the wheels are very stiff and not smooth.

What's the best cure? I'm thinking a quick shower of the wheels and a squirt of WD-40, or should I take it to the service centre and let them do it since it's brand new (and adding lubricants might make things worse).
Old Jan 18, 13, 3:47 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
I'd say try a damp cloth / Q-Tips first ... and see if that does the trick before going to lubricants / chemicals. You might have some rock salt built up inside there.
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's a chance some grit or salt built in them. I would clean them as best you can with cloth, brush, water, etc, and let them dry all the way. I would not start with an oil or wd40 or anything that is wet, it's only going to attract more gunk like that. Try powered graphite or one of the lock lubricants that's dry and not sticky.
Old Jan 18, 13, 9:03 am

Can you blow it out with compressed air or a canned air duster?
Old Jan 19, 13, 2:23 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Rusearch - nice suggestion

Am interested in hearing back from OP to know what they finally did
Old Jan 20, 13, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rajsh View Post
Rusearch - nice suggestion

Am interested in hearing back from OP to know what they finally did
Nothing yet, I'm still travelling and don't fancy dismantling my case (knowing my luck, ...)

The good news is that drying out the wheels seems to have improved the situation, so it's not as pressing, and can probably wait until I get home.

The issue seems not to be with the axle of the wheel (this is smooth and it rolls well), but with the vertical axle (this is still stiff and made the case hard to turn).

What I think I will do is remove the whole wheel assembly using a Torx driver, clean up the vertical axle and reassemble. Then I'll report back (or, as I suspect, ask for extra help/the address of my local service centre).
Old Jan 22, 13, 2:01 am

In cases like this I just put it into the bathroom and shower hot water over it
Old Jan 22, 13, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Presidents Club, Europcar Privilege Elite, HHonours Gold, Le Club Accor Platinum
I noticed my Topas wheels having problems after a few flights and some travel through snow this weekend. Was wondering how to clean them out, some great suggestions on this post. I was going to reach for WD40, however as mentioned above may hold off on that and try the other suggestions
Old Sep 8, 18, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL/AF Gold
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
The issue seems not to be with the axle of the wheel (this is smooth and it rolls well), but with the vertical axle (this is still stiff and made the case hard to turn).
What I think I will do is remove the whole wheel assembly using a Torx driver, clean up the vertical axle and reassemble.
I have the exact same problem with my Rimowa, it became worse over the years and after last trip (picked up sand and gravel, I’m sure) it’s almost unstearable and I pull it behind me on 2 wheels instead of pushing on 4 wheels. I now consider disassembling the wheels, clean the vertical axles and use silicone spray.

Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
Then I'll report back (or, as I suspect, ask for extra help/the address of my local service centre).
So how did it go?

Last edited by Great_circle; Sep 8, 18 at 1:58 am Reason: typo’s
Old Sep 9, 18, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL/AF Gold
Originally Posted by Great_circle View Post
I now consider disassembling the wheels, clean the vertical axles and use silicone spray.

Took the wheels off and cleaned everything. It makes quite a difference indeed although the wheels still do not quite move around the vertical axles in the way Rimowa likes to show in their ads. While the wheels may contain ball bearings this is not the case with the vertical axles. They’re merely pieces of plastic that move around metal cylinders.
Old Sep 10, 18, 1:05 am
Original Poster

That’s a blast from the past!
In the end I didn’t do anything and left it all alone - I didn’t dismantle the wheel or lubricate it.

(I think I may have just brushed some dirt out from the wheels and from memory there was some hair wrapped around the wheels which I took out).

Im still using the same case so whatever I did seems to have worked.
Great_circle likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: