Wiki Posts
Search

carry on Luggage Newbie

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

carry on Luggage Newbie

Hi all,

I've been browsing these forums for several weeks now trying to decide on which carry on luggage to look for. If anything reading all the different brands has confused me more :-)

If I fly once a year that is a lot. When I do fly I usually go away for 3-5 days. I had some hand me down luggage that was getting pretty old. I gave it to a friend who was basically living out of a suitcase.

My upcoming trip to Austin is going to be for 5 days. Nothing fancy so I will only be packing maybe 2 pairs of jeans, some shirts, and shorts, underwear, socks and toiletry, etc.

Trying to decide on what luggage to look at.

I was looking at the eBags Mother load TLS, Etech. I also saw the Travelpro maxlite 2 on sale as well. Not sure how much I should be spending for such light travel.

Any help on what to look at would be appreciated. I'm flying Delta to Austin and American Airlines back to NY.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:30 pm

Hey Dennis! Welcome to FT!

Yours is an easy case. Although you might perhaps long for a more concrete rec, I'd say just get a nice little duffle that fits the 45 linear inch rule. Get whatever strikes your fancy. At this point it doesn't really matter because there are no functional requirements that would rule out a particular choice or put you in a dilemma of style and practicality for example.

But I'd say for that kind of trip and packing, definitely a duffel. No wheels!

Till
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi tfar,

I was debating on wheels or not. I think I'd much rather have some wheels. I recently hurt my back and it is still aching and rather not be holding a duffel through the airport.

I'll be coming down in early Nov to your parts for the Fun Fun Fun Fest. Shorts ok for early Nov still?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Welcome.

Based upon your very limited use of the luggage I recommend that you just go to a local department store and pick up something cheap and functional. No point in spending money on quality luggage to have it only sit in your closet for 360 days per year.

If you're wanting to buy something online I highly recommend you visit www.ebags.com.

Good Luck
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:13 am
Original Poster

I went to Kohls yesterday, but I think I'll probably order something from eBags. I bought a Kirkland bag from Costco for 99 dollars but the total dimensions according to the tag is something like 48 or so. The internal was equal to the 45"

Just trying to figure out which bag to get at this point.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
As the others have said - with such light travel it doesn't really matter what you get. However, some cheap wheeled bags are very badly made and you won't get many trips out of them - so check carefully.

If you like the ebags Weekender and don't need/want wheels, I'd suggest going with that. It's good for plane/train/automobile trips and should last you many years. It's well made, got good organisation and will see you right should you travel more in the future.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:09 am

Kohl's is generally fairly expensive for luggage, unless you watch for sales or have coupons. I would definitely recommend checking Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or Ross. You can find good name-brand luggage for great prices.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
As the others have said - with such light travel it doesn't really matter what you get. However, some cheap wheeled bags are very badly made and you won't get many trips out of them - so check carefully.

If you like the ebags Weekender and don't need/want wheels, I'd suggest going with that. It's good for plane/train/automobile trips and should last you many years. It's well made, got good organisation and will see you right should you travel more in the future.
I second this. I've recommended the eBags Weekender as the cheaper alternative to the Red Oxx and Tom Bihn bags. It has similar features but costs a lot less, and is an easy way for non-heavy travelers to get some of the benefits of the more expensive bags. It's a pretty good bag.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

I went with the Mother Lode Weekender Convertible. This will give me a few weeks to try it out at home to see how comfortable it is. :-)

Thanks for all your help
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have the 25 inch EBags Mother Lode bag and have used it a great deal as my checked bag. So far so good. I like the Ebags replacement deal on the wheels.

I have to have one checked bag for tools and other items that are not allowed in carry on bags. I have not been nice to my bag and it survives well with some interesting features.

My 'good' luggage is all Red Oxx and all are carry on type bags with no wheels. Great bags.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
mydennis,

Good choice. I've got that bag and for the money it is great. I think it's great for twice the cost, actually.

I did a review of the bag in this thread (beginning on post #20).

Also in the same thread, the ebags designer (Bernard Majeau) chimes in and gives his thoughts on the Mother Lode as well. It's interesting to hear details about the bag's design from the designer himself.

Once you get it in let us know what you think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.