Air Boss vs Sky Train

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Boss vs Sky Train

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Air Boss vs Sky Train

I'm a long time user of the Sky Train, but I keep seeing kudos for the Air Boss on this forum. The dimensions are nearly identical. The big difference I can see is that Air Boss has 3 compartments, Skytrain has 2, and that the SkyTrain has backpack straps for carry.

Given how similar the bags are, it always has seemed to me that having the additional option to carry the bag like a backpack would make the Skytrain far more desireable as a luggage option, especially since you can pack so darn much into these bags, and they can get quite heavy if you aren't careful. So, what am I missing that would make the Air Boss so much better? I personally prefer the Skytrain 2 larger packing compartments, since I organize my packing with packing cubes, but I realize that's personal preference.

I'd love to hear the thoughts from the community on what might make the Air Boss a better bag...or why the Skytrain is better, for that matter.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Hi, tgg.

I have both bags. I've traveled extensively (round the world included) with the Sky Train. The Air Boss is reserved for shorter domestic trips. Why? Well, you've summed it up exactly right, in my opinion.

When I travel internationally I am gone for at least 2 weeks and have quite a heavy bag and a separate small laptop bag. The Air Boss, when packed so heavy is just not appropriate, for me, as a one shoulder bag. That and having two separate one shoulder bags (laptop bag), one heavy and one light, is not ideal. A backpack leaves both hands totally free and carrying the laptop bag is very easy.

When I travel on shorter trips I'm a true one-bagger. I put my laptop bag (Gator) and a pair of shoes (filled with socks, etc.) in the center compartment of the Air Boss which leaves the two external compartments for clothing. I use an 18" folder so I often have one compartment empty, or nearly so, which kind of messes with the balance.

I do like the fact that the Air Boss has two compartments with compression straps, you can really put a lot of clothing in two folders if you needed to. If you do pack the Air Boss so that it is quite heavy I highly recommend ditching the Claw strap and using one of these

My Sky Train is my go-to bag. I, like you, really enjoyed it but kept hearing all of the praises for the Air Boss. When I found one on ebay for $99 shipped I couldn't resist finding out what all the buzz was about and bought it. I don't regret buying it because my kids can use it and I use it from time to time.

To each his own. I'm sure that there are others that will say they like the Air Boss better because based upon their needs it's just a better fit for them. It is a Red Oxx and therefore well made and guaranteed forever.

For me the Sky Train just works. Based upon your post I believe that you already have the ideal bag as well.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Most interesting idea of putting the Gator into the center compartment of the AirBoss.

Haven't bought either the Air Boss or Sky Train as yet as I'm waiting to see what NEW is going to come out of Red Oxx's new factory building in Billings Montana.

They are just moving in to the new building.

I'm counting on some new NEW Red Oxx items to consider.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Materdei
If you do pack the Air Boss so that it is quite heavy I highly recommend ditching the Claw strap and using one of these
Are those related to Tom Bihn Absolute, as in the same design or OEM?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Materdei
If you do pack the Air Boss so that it is quite heavy I highly recommend ditching the Claw strap and using one of these
That looks like a nice shoulder strap.

I will echo the sentiments of a lot of other FTers when I say I like the Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by aktchi
Are those related to Tom Bihn Absolute, as in the same design or OEM?
Op/Tech is the OEM for the Bihn Absolute (look under the Bihn tag & you'll find an Op/Tech label). I have both and the only difference are the clips that hook to the D-rings of the case -- the Bihns are a tad beefier but for the price savings the OEM version is just fine & I picked up one for each of my carry-ons..
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Neither one would fit in the overhead bins on those CRJ commuters i have to fly every week.

I am now down to traveling with nothing but a laptop over nighter and a boarding bag thats no larger than a large purse. (week long trips like that..... .

That makes it bad is every piece of my luggage has to have that "executive office consultant" look to it which really keeps me from taking a harder look at some of this other very useful luggage......but with flying out of the tiny airport i have to fly out of...i guess it wouldnt matter anyway, im packing LIGHT these days.

Going to miss being able to stuff my over coat into one of my bags and checking it before boarding this winter though.... well maybe not, it looks like im going to be workign in souther california all winter,
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:43 pm

As long as it's not stuffed full, the Sky Train and Airboss should both fit in the tiny CRJs. I have no trouble getting my large backpack in the overhead bins, even in the smallest ones that are one seat wide with no overhead on one side, and it's the same dimensions as the Sky Train. The soft luggage squishes to fit the bend up there. My personal bag is a rolling cabin tote. The back pack rides on top of it to the gate; I stow the handle, wear the backpack and carry the tote on board. Even when the GAs are aggressively pulling people out to gate check, they ignore me. Somehow, backpacks are always allowable.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Allentown
Neither one would fit in the overhead bins on those CRJ commuters i have to fly every week.
No disrespect intended but this is not accurate. Two weeks ago I flew to Wichita (ICT). Took an Air Boss on the EMB 145 there and the EMB 135 back. The bag fit in the overheads just fine.

The bag fit better in the overhead than I did in the plane! (low ceiling, little leg room on the window seats.)

I suspect, however, if I had the bag loaded to the gills like I do on my multi-week trips it might be a different story.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Megn
As long as it's not stuffed full, the Sky Train and Airboss should both fit in the tiny CRJs. I have no trouble getting my large backpack in the overhead bins, even in the smallest ones that are one seat wide with no overhead on one side, and it's the same dimensions as the Sky Train. The soft luggage squishes to fit the bend up there. My personal bag is a rolling cabin tote. The back pack rides on top of it to the gate; I stow the handle, wear the backpack and carry the tote on board. Even when the GAs are aggressively pulling people out to gate check, they ignore me. Somehow, backpacks are always allowable.
This is exactly what I do. I'm a 2-bag OneBagger!

I have a Briggs & Riley rolling cabin bag, and I have found that the dimensions of that bag is the largest that will still fit into the overhead bins in even the tiny CRJs.

I then add either a TriStar or a SkyTrain. Either one has ALWAYS fit overhead, no matter how much I stuff in there. The soft sides always squish to fit.

The SkyTrain rides on top of the B&R. When I get to the gate, I "wear" the SkyTrain (or the Tristar) as a backpack. If you pay attention, you will notice that even the nastiest gate agents will never require a backpack to be checked. On the other hand, if it's a full flight, almost anything with wheels gets tagged for gate check. So, I retract the handle of the B&R and carry it like a briefcase. It's small enough when I'm carrying it in my hand that it looks like a glorified laptop bag. I've never been asked to gate check it.

Thus, I am a "functional" one bagger, since I never have to check a bag. Yet I finally get to spare my aching back because I still have wheels to save me. And let me tell you, using 2 bags this way...I can pack a TON of stuff. In fact, my biggest fear is that I will lose my "packing light" skills, since I don't have the same incentive to minimize!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
This is exactly what I do. I'm a 2-bag OneBagger!

I have a Briggs & Riley rolling cabin bag, and I have found that the dimensions of that bag is the largest that will still fit into the overhead bins in even the tiny CRJs.

I then add either a TriStar or a SkyTrain. Either one has ALWAYS fit overhead, no matter how much I stuff in there. The soft sides always squish to fit.

The SkyTrain rides on top of the B&R. When I get to the gate, I "wear" the SkyTrain (or the Tristar) as a backpack. If you pay attention, you will notice that even the nastiest gate agents will never require a backpack to be checked. On the other hand, if it's a full flight, almost anything with wheels gets tagged for gate check. So, I retract the handle of the B&R and carry it like a briefcase. It's small enough when I'm carrying it in my hand that it looks like a glorified laptop bag. I've never been asked to gate check it.

Thus, I am a "functional" one bagger, since I never have to check a bag. Yet I finally get to spare my aching back because I still have wheels to save me. And let me tell you, using 2 bags this way...I can pack a TON of stuff. In fact, my biggest fear is that I will lose my "packing light" skills, since I don't have the same incentive to minimize!
When flying to the USA from Vienna, Austrian airlines will weigh all backpacks. I have seen many backpacks end up being checked because they are over weight. I have flown that route many times and no backpack escapes them.

Cheers
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viperml
When flying to the USA from Vienna, Austrian airlines will weigh all backpacks. I have seen many backpacks end up being checked because they are over weight. I have flown that route many times and no backpack escapes them.

Cheers
True...many international airlines go by weight, not size. In that case, a SkyTrain can quickly go over a weight limit, since you can fit so much in there.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List
For those looking for a less expensive version of the Air Boss check out the REI Overnighter. It has about 5% less capacity but one main compartment so it probably fits as much. I just did my first one bag trip with it and I'm impressed. If you can make due with a tablet or ultrabook 2-3 day trips are very doable with this bag. A bigger laptop will fit but weight becomes a factor at that point. Feels very liberating to make a trip with just one modest sized shoulder bag.

http://www.rei.com/product/827994/rei-overnighter-pack

Last edited by Dunbar; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:02 pm
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
True...many international airlines go by weight, not size. In that case, a SkyTrain can quickly go over a weight limit, since you can fit so much in there.
Whenever possible, do online checkin and bypass manned checkin. If you can do this, the only challenge will be at the gate. There have been a few airports where personnel scan the gate for possibly offending bags. In these few instances, an alert ft'er with a SkyTrain and a Scottevest usually triumphs. If you cannot checkin online, the SkyTrain/Scottevest can still get you through, but you should have access to a scale to get your SkyTrain to 7kg or whatever the limit before checkin. (You can go to unmanned checkin stations for other airlines and use the scales to get to your desired weight.) Once through security you can put things back in the SkyTrain if there are no gate minders.

Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by #10
Whenever possible, do online checkin and bypass manned checkin. If you can do this, the only challenge will be at the gate. There have been a few airports where personnel scan the gate for possibly offending bags. In these few instances, an alert ft'er with a SkyTrain and a Scottevest usually triumphs. If you cannot checkin online, the SkyTrain/Scottevest can still get you through, but you should have access to a scale to get your SkyTrain to 7kg or whatever the limit before checkin. (You can go to unmanned checkin stations for other airlines and use the scales to get to your desired weight.) Once through security you can put things back in the SkyTrain if there are no gate minders.
This is a great tip!

Addendum: even if you have to load up your Scottevest to get your Skytrain down to weight, and even if there are watchdog gate agents....you can always still discreetly reload your skytrain once you're on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.