Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checkpoint friendly brief cases

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Checkpoint friendly brief cases

It is time to replace an old Hartmann brief case. Check point friendly cases for the laptop sound great, but most have small main compartments, and large lap top compartments given today's smaller laptops, such as the Macbook Air I currently use. So, I am thinking of a more conventional bag instead, probably a Tumi in leather that has more usable space.

For those that have check point friendly bags, are they worth the space trade off in your experience?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:13 pm

IMO the TSA friendly bags are most often a pure marketing gimmick. It takes longer to undo the clips and zippers then to simply whip out the computer. And then it takes longer to reassemble the bag. BS idea!!!

The only exception are those rare bags that use a saddle bag style. Basically two bags joined at the top where you just need to spread out the two halves.

Get any bag that you like (Tumi is great but I wouldn't do leather) and then put the MBA in a padded envelop. Ditch the supplied computer sleeve that comes with the bag. It usually takes too much room and weight.

Till
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:56 pm

My TSA friendly backpack unzips from the top to form the two halves. It gives me a flat place to carry files, itineraries, and other flat things that I want protected but easy to access. I also sometimes put my liquids bag in there. It doesn't come apart quite as easily as the ones that open from the bottom, but I don't worry about losing any papers from it either. I carry a little 13" computer that is small enough that I can put it in wide part down. I carry the mouse and power cord on top of the computer in the same pocket, so it's very convenient to leave the computer in the bag.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Platinum
I have too many laptop bags and am still looking for the perfect one. I recently bought the Skooba checkpoint friendly bag and while I love the convenience of not having to take out the laptop, the ease of the clamshell design and the overall lightness of the bag, I will say that storage space is at a premium in the rest of the bag.

There's a lot of pockets, but you can't fit much else in there once you get power cables in. I feel like the checkpoint friendly feature robs the bag of space that could hold other items.

But then again... I tend to pack a LOT into my laptop bag.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I agree with Till on this one, for sure. Who among us frequent flyers doesn't have our belts off, laptop bags unzipped and ready for pulling out the laptop, shoes untied, etc. all done by the time it's our turn to grab a tote? In fact, one of my pet peeves is people who are totally unprepared when they grab a tote. Kind of like the lady at the grocery store who waits for the final total before searching through her purse for checkbook and pen.

usernameunknown, very helpful post, welcome!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I have a B&R checkpoint friendly bag Agree with others(e.g usernameunknown) who have pointed out that they don't hold as much stuff as a TSA unfriendly. That being said, the B&R central pocket that holds cables/power supply is big enough to hold more stuff. When you go through the checkpoint, you need to keep all the cables in the net pocket that keeps them on the other half of the clam shell from the lap top. The rest of the time, you can just thrown them in the center compartment.

Nowadays, I am trying to keep less and less anyway. Since getting a Macbook Air, I want to downsize and then discipline myself to carry less garbage (err useful accessories).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by mikel51

Nowadays, I am trying to keep less and less anyway. Since getting a Macbook Air, I want to downsize and then discipline myself to carry less garbage (err useful accessories).
I'll second that. Carrying around all that garbage all the time is really stupid nowadays. For me there is the iPad which let's you do almost anything you could with paper, plus some actual contracts printed on paper, and that's it.
These Skooba products look quite nerdy to be honest with all the compartments and and pockets and stuff... I mean sure they thought of everything, but I just tend to not find stuff if there are too many pockets. Like, wait, in which of those 16 pockets (thats an actual number from one skooba product!) did I put my keys now as I was in a hurry catching the flight?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:43 am

I have the Brenthaven Pilot Bag and have carried a 15-inch laptop, an iPad, related power adaptors and an external hard drive/wireless access point with no trouble.

It's pricey, but it gets the job done.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:18 pm

I love my checkpoint friendly case. It is from REI and is very easy to open. Two quick clicks and there is no risk of someone walking off with the wrong laptop. (I nearly had to tackle a man once who refused to believe he was loading my laptop and not his. God forbid he looked at the business card taped to it like I asked. Instead he acted like I was the idiot.)
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, US Airways Platinum
I also love my checkpoint friendly bag. It makes going thru TSA so much easier. But I do want a bigger one and one that is on wheels.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by FXWizard
I have the Brenthaven Pilot Bag and have carried a 15-inch laptop, an iPad, related power adaptors and an external hard drive/wireless access point with no trouble.
15-inch? What is that for? As a frequent traveller, is it not much more convenient to go smaller and lighter?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
The North Face Shuttle Series

I have just given up on my Tumi leather briefcase due to its weight. I have discovered the North Face Shuttle Series and love it. The brief case is light and simple with one laptop/tablet pocket which separate built in sleeves. The sleeves are sized for smaller air type computers. The bag has one main pocket for files etc, and two small pockets on the front for chargers, phones, keys etc.

Despite its simplicity it is well built and guaranteed for life like the rest of North Faces luggage however, unlike most North Face luggage the logo is almost unnoticeable.

The brief case also has a slip over sleeve to put on the handle of your rolling bag.

In the series (which I have not bought) are a garment bag and a rolling bag, also super light weight.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikel51
That being said, the B&R central pocket that holds cables/power supply is big enough to hold more stuff. When you go through the checkpoint, you need to keep all the cables in the net pocket that keeps them on the other half of the clam shell from the lap top.
I've looked at B&Rs and am definitely intrigued. How heavy do you find the bag once it's fully loaded? I've got an old expandable (non-TSA) Tumi that I love, but man is that thing a tank.

Sadly, I've had to go back to using it b/c the Skooba just doesn't meet my needs.

Of course, the whole TSA-friendly feature wouldn't matter if I could get my Pre-Check to clear... but that's another story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.